Could Ken become the new lead in the next Street Fighter?

KingSolomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KingSolomon

Am i the only one who would like to see Ken Masters become the main lead on a street fighter game. He has gained alot throughout the games and I feel like he would make a great lead cause he has a lot to lose. I mean, mabey force him to study dark hadou or have him step up his training. I remember being really impressed by evil ken from snk vs capcom.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By generic_username

Should probably have posted this thread to a more street-fighter specific board.

There's a board for every single game, character, and franchise out there, there's no need to post something like this to General Discussion.

KingSolomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KingSolomon

Thanks for the advice, i normally frequent comicvine and was even going to post this in the off topic section over there and realized i was fool for forgetting giant bomb. lol.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

Fixed the thread title & moved the topic. Makes more sense now.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope so. Shoryukens for days.

Loading Video...

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How can you even tell who the lead is the days? Like if Ken were the lead how would the game actually change?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hell no ... I hate Ken Masters and I got tired of playing online because every fucking battle was against Ken. Also Ryu should stop being the number one... how about a lady for a change? And not nescesarily an existing one but rather a new character.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

Neh, that kind of arc for Ken would have to take place after 3 and at that point even Ryu isn't the main character any more.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Is Ryu the current lead? What does this mean in practice?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neh, that kind of arc for Ken would have to take place after 3 and at that point even Ryu isn't the main character any more.

im talking crazy here, but i really wonder, if they are gonna consider writing out street fighter 3 as official canon or rather keep making games that take place before 3. that storyline of games always struck me as so crazy. and all the street fighter 4's still take place before 3....

KingSolomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could really use a game like what mortal combat with some sort of conclusive story. Mortal Combat and injustice prove you can have a cohesive story. I am just saying if they went that route i would love to see a ken masters targeted game. After him i would say guile, only cause i am really curious about charlie.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I've always seen Ryu as the face of the games (probably because he's on the boxes and sides of arcade cabinets the most), Ken is nearly as present. What difference would it make if Ken became the face/new lead?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Ken's a pro.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By damodar

Ryu is maybe the best character to use to learn the game and gain a deeper understanding of the sort of fundamental ideas of fighting, so I think it's beneficial for him to be the face of the series and thus potentially encourage more newcomers to start with him.

That being said, they never do anything interesting with him, story-wise. Ryu is stoic, he's all about honour and respect and the conflict for his character is him trying to contain the darkness within. So he's basically John Cena. He's kind of exactly John Cena... So I can definitely see the argument for giving somebody else the spotlight. The storytelling in the actual Street Fighter games is both minimal and poor though, so even if they did present somebody else as the face of the game (like they did with Alex in SF3), I don't think it would actually change much. Capcom's approach towards making fighting games basically seems to be to make them for people who will play them against other people. If they could get away with making a Street Fighter or Marvel Vs Capcom that only had versus and online versus, they probably would. I wouldn't expect to see a Street Fighter V with a story mode akin to MK9/Injustice or some of the Ark games like BlazBlue or Persona 4 Arena. The SF games do have canonical stories and a timeline etc, but they don't make a lot of sense. Take the schoolgirl crowd in SF4. By the timeline, I don't know if Makoto, Ibuki and Elena should even be ten years old yet and Sakura would probably be closer to thirty than twenty. But they just ignore that stuff for the sake of the game. I think at this point, if they did start to care about the story, which I don't see happening, they'd probably have to make a game just called Street Fighter and reboot it all.

However, if you want some Ryu and Ken story that even does slightly touch on Ken exploring the Satsui No Hadou, check out the Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist webseries! It's quite good!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZLTS4u9M_2r89MGqgDNGGxQfmLuhtxqU

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Blanka rides a whale. He should be the new face... or just Blanka's whale. Street Fighter needs more fighting whales.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once the game starts there is no lead character. The box is used to sell the game but Ryu is not really featured prominently in the game.

KingSolomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: Assassins fist is what got me into this train of thought in the first place, It really is a great story!

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It'll never happen while the core series is made in Japan.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Fighting game lore, what a sacred enterprise.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hell yeah. He's Ryu with a better haircut and much better theme music.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: By that logic it should be Guile by a mile.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is no lead. also ken is a douche.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By pr1mus

@fredchuckdave: The better haircut is debatable but not the theme music.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vuud

A blond heterosexual white male lead? That's just asking for trouble.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@vuud: Blonde leads are pretty uncommon actually; basically everyone looks like this:

No Caption Provided

Watchdogs guy is no exception.

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: dammit I watched that video like 30 times in row thanks to you! If only I could find a working link to the mp3