#1 Posted by Reisz (1497 posts) -

I just went to see what kind of price we're looking at for the digital PS4 release, with an eye towards buying it today to lazily get in on any "pre-order" bonuses they might have and it's uh. Nowhere to be seen?

Couldn't track it down on Sony Entertainment Network, can't get to it via the PSN shop and even weirder no release information on Amazon or Gamestop.

The really weird thing though? It's sitting pretty on Steam for $14.99 available February 19th with pre-order bonuses of an OST and some art, the Steam version is available for pre-order at Gamestop too.

Am I just misinformed? Did this get pulled from consoles? Is it a PC exclusive now? What planet am I living on!?

#2 Posted by crithon (3244 posts) -

doesn't the PSN version come with the PS1 Strider 2 game?

#3 Posted by spraynardtatum (2953 posts) -

I'll poop in my pants if it doesn't come out tomorrow on PS4. Literally!

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1774 posts) -

I need something interesting to play on my PS4 so I'm hoping this scratches the itch. It is worrying though there are no advance reviews of it.

#5 Edited by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -
#6 Posted by crithon (3244 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: huh, that's a shame, it'd be wonderful if someone could emulate the NES one also.

#7 Posted by kishinfoulux (2307 posts) -

According to Steam it comes out on Wednesday, which is fucking stupid. Why not Tuesday like normal?

#8 Posted by Humanity (9257 posts) -

According to Steam it comes out on Wednesday, which is fucking stupid. Why not Tuesday like normal?

You know whats even stupider? Games in Europe release/unlock on Thursday even though you're buying them digitally from Steam. Now thats infuriating.

#9 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Yes it was on the psn blog yesterday it's coming out tomorrow.

#10 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

@reisz: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/16/the-drop-new-playstation-releases-for-february-18th-2014/

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@crithon: Japan is actually getting a physical disc of strider that has other content on it besides the 2014 game which I think at the other versions of strider.

#12 Edited by GunstarRed (5186 posts) -

@crithon: It baffles me why anyone would want the NES version of that game. Sure, it's a curiosity with its Bionic Commando-ish game structure and wonky text. Unfortunately it controls like shit... the jumping is really, really poor. Jeff's enthusiasm for it on the podcast was really odd.

#13 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Another question is... when will the reviews drop?

#14 Edited by Reisz (1497 posts) -

@jz: Beautiful. That's all the confirmation I need. I wonder when the PSN shop will update, so weird that there is nothing there yet.

#15 Posted by ExiledAstronaut (126 posts) -

Adding to the questions, does anybody know when the X1 store updates?

#16 Posted by crithon (3244 posts) -

@gunstarred: it's not that bad of a game. And yes, I did replay it, and yes, the controls aren't the best in the world. There are no steel gorillas that take up 75% of the screen but at least it expanded the world more then just set pieces. It falls into that category of "Zelda 2" bit of "well there are not games like this any more" nostalgia.

#17 Posted by Reisz (1497 posts) -

Adding to the questions, does anybody know when the X1 store updates?

No idea, I've heard people have already got it preloaded on their Xbox Ones. I'm not sure how that works, maybe there's a pre-order available on the Live store. I would assume it would unlock at the usual Midnight or 10:00am

#18 Edited by PollySMPS (224 posts) -

@gunstarred: I'm glad someone else said it. Every time him and Brad gush about the NES version of Strider, I'm left scratching my head how they could possibly be talking about the same game I owned as a child. The game's a buggy mess and feels like a rush job with how terrible the controls are and how easy it is to get stuck in walls and floors. Sometimes I think Jeff likes the IDEA of retro/older games more than actually liking the games themselves.

#19 Posted by Reisz (1497 posts) -

@pollysmps: I never had a chance to get it when I was younger. For what ever reason I never saw a copy in the flesh, just a side effect of living in semi-rural Australia I guess. I would be interested in having it just to try it. Games like that have value just for being a product of their time, good or bad.

#20 Posted by crithon (3244 posts) -

good god! the NES music never sounded so good!!! THAT'S IT, PRE ORDERING IT NOW!

#21 Edited by PollySMPS (224 posts) -

@reisz: I think that's absolutely fine. I think it's a thing people should have access to should they want it. No question about that. I was merely agreeing with the user I replied to in that I don't really understand Jeff and Brad's enthusiasm for that version of the game in particular.

#22 Posted by ExiledAstronaut (126 posts) -

@crithon: Wow! Now I'm even more hyped for this!

#23 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

Fuck yeah, it is!

#24 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@reisz: normally around 5 PM on tuesdays is when the store updates.

#25 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@pollysmps: jeff and brad like the nes one because it's an open metroidvaina game. They hate the arcade one because it was 80 dollars and is 20 minutes long.

#26 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1164 posts) -

For whatever reason it's delayed on Steam by a day. Not terribly happy about it.

#27 Edited by Glottery (1277 posts) -

@columnbreaker said:

For whatever reason it's delayed on Steam by a day. Not terribly happy about it.

I thought it was 19th before already. At least according to this bit of news I read on the 5th day already, it comes out today on PS3/PS4 (for the US folks, that is. EU tomorrow), while the 360/Xbone and PC-versions come out tomorrow.

#28 Edited by Reisz (1497 posts) -

@jz: For PS4 or Xbox One? That doesn't seem right at all. Maybe I've never bought anything on release day before.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

I'm sort of weirded out people are excited for this. I guess I never knew people had such affinity for the first games.

#30 Posted by Humanity (9257 posts) -

I'm sort of weirded out people are excited for this. I guess I never knew people had such affinity for the first games.

I'm excited cause it's been two whole months with no decent game releases and this looks pretty snazzy. Also Jeff "The Gameman" Gerstmann said it played pretty good.

#31 Posted by wariomona (57 posts) -

Reviews for this so far have been positive. I do hope US PSN will be getting Strider 2 as well. I don't like Strider 1 or the NES version very much but 2 is amazing.

#32 Edited by Lumley (959 posts) -
#33 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

Checked the market before work on the One and the PS4. Nothing there.

#34 Posted by Lumley (959 posts) -

@bunnymud: It's not out on the Xbox One/360 until tomorrow, only PSN gets it later today IIRC.

#35 Edited by Bane122 (789 posts) -

@bunnymud: Also, I believe PSN doesn't update until later in the day. Sometime in the afternoon eastern time, IIRC.

I'm glad to see this one turned out well, I was really hopeful.

#36 Edited by Vladd (53 posts) -
#37 Posted by dudeglove (7851 posts) -

Snider came out a long time ago.

#38 Posted by noizy (666 posts) -

The real question is when the Quick Look and GB Review comes out. They're been talking about this game for too long not to be on top of that.

#39 Posted by kylenalepa (119 posts) -

Looking forward to giving this a shot, even though I've never played any of the other games. I've been itching for a good Metroidvania game and from what I've heard, it sounds like Strider might be what I've been looking for.

#40 Posted by ripelivejam (3965 posts) -

longshanks lmao

#42 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

Sounds like I will love this game.

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@humanity said:

@demoskinos said:

I'm excited cause it's been two whole months with no decent game releases and this looks pretty snazzy. Also Jeff "The Gameman" Gerstmann said it played pretty good.

That depends on what you consider "decent" I've been enjoying the hell out of LRFF13.

#44 Edited by cloudymusic (1118 posts) -

Even IGN's main complaint just seemed to be about occasional difficulty spikes. I've seen no real widespread reports of serious issues thus far. I'll pick it up tonight.

#45 Edited by GaspoweR (3030 posts) -

Man, I was hoping that I could get to download it on Steam yesterday but nope, it actually comes out today. Man, excited to go through the game.

#46 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5481 posts) -

@cloudymusic: Difficulty spike complaints = good game 99% of the time.