Looks like I'm about to own a Super Famicom. Now what?

Snowden42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So my dad is in Japan this week, and he sent me a picture from Akihabra to show me all the video game shops. I jokingly told him to pick me up a Super Famicom, and he actually did it! So now I'm about to be in possession of on of these suckers. Any advice on what I should do next? What will I need to play it on modern televisions? Where should I be looking for games to pick up?

I'm very excited to go way too far down the import game rabbit hole.

Yakumo1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Yakumo1975

Ok for a start you NEED to get the RGB cable for it. Then if you don't have a RGB TV you'll need to buy the Framemister Xrgb mini but the problem with that is they are sold out all over Japan at the moment until late November.

Game wise you should get the likes of Contra Spirits, Assault Suit Valken, Macross, Fight Tough (pretty expensive that one) and others if you like better the wester versions or cooler boxes. Actually the list of cool SFC titles is very long.

Also, your dad shouldn't buy in Akihabara if he can avoid not to because prices there are set high for the tourists. See if he can find a Hard Off store or if they have them in the Tokyo area, a place called Manga Soko.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The AV cable from either a N64 or Gamecube will be enough to connect to the RCA connectors on a TV (the red, white and yellow sockets.) As for the power supply, the NHS and SNES apparently have the same power requirements, as I'm using my old NES power supply just fine.

As for games, short of going to Japan yourself eBay is your best bet. Off the top of my head games 3 to 5 in the Great Battle series are good, The Firemen is a fantastic but shortish game... Aside from that I just picked up anything that looked interesting that I was also sure wasn't an RPG.

Snowden42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great advice, thank you guys!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you owe it to yourself to get some Tetris Battle Gaiden ;) Hours and hours of head to head tetris fighting fun!