• 59 results
Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Characters you would be ok with not returning. (186 votes)

Captain Falcon 9%
Diddy Kong 33%
Falco 20%
Ganondorf 20%
Ice Climbers 27%
Ike 32%
Jiggly Puff 20%
King Dedede 25%
Little Link 40%
Lucario 47%
Lucas 41%
Luigi 6%
Marth 17%
Meta Knight 22%
Mr. Game & Watch 25%
Ness 13%
Peach 9%
Pokemon Trainer 20%
R.O.B. 45%
Sheik/Zelda 7%
Snake 37%
Sonic 35%
Wario 15%
Wolf 48%
Yoshi 10%

Which characters that were in Brawl would you be ok with them cutting in the new Smash Bros?

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Brawl's roster suffered from too many clones. I know that people whined when Sakurai stated that the roster of the new game is going to be smaller, but the game didn't need Fox and Falco and Wolf, and Ganondorf is basically Captain Falcon.

The third-party guests Snake and Sonic should go. They were a special case and now it's Mega Man's turn (and maybe one other character). Ike will probably get rotated out with Chrom or Lucina. And the roster could just use less Pokemon representation in general. Pokemon Trainer is a great character, but we don't need him, Pikachu, Lucario, and Jigglypuff all in the same game.

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -

Cut down on the Pokemon nonsense.

#3 Posted by translucentfish (127 posts) -

I always played as Luigi or Peach. Sometimes Sheik/Zelda. So I don't really care as those are almost absolutely safe. I actually appreciate taking out half the roster and replacing with weird stuff like The Villager and WiiFit lady. Don't have to make the same game everytime, might as well go balls out.

Prof. Layton is the kind of character I wanna see.

#4 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2494 posts) -

Lucario, Wolf, Ike, Snake, and Lucas all need to get the boot. I'd say Jigglypuff too but he/she is a good joke character.

#5 Edited by BeachThunder (12092 posts) -

Mario.

#6 Edited by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I'm actually REALLY okay with the roster in Brawl. Yes there are clones, but they have enough variation between them to make them unique in a way. The only two I'd understand getting rid of are Ganondorf and Falco as these characters are nearly identical to the character they were cloned off of. Third party should stay, Pokemon Trainer should stay but mix up his Pokemon.

@hailinel said:

Ike will probably get rotated out with Chrom or Lucina.

I wouldn't be suprised if they replaced Marth with Lucina but have Lucina have Marth's moveset.

EDIT: What the fuck is wrong with Lucario?

#7 Posted by Dalai (7040 posts) -

I'm not that familiar with the Fire Emblem franchise, but I think Ike could be replaced with more recent characters.

And Jigglypuff. Because fuck that thing.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@joeyoe31 said:

EDIT: What the fuck is wrong with Lucario?

He's part of the overabundance of Pokemon on the roster. Most franchises represented have one or two characters. In Pokemon's case, there were four. Or rather six, if you want to count all three grouped under Pokemon Trainer.

#9 Posted by Tireyo (6446 posts) -

Jigglypuff is at the top of the totem pole. The others would be Lucario, Toon Link, and Ganondorf - because he was a rip off of Captain Falcon anyways.

#10 Edited by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

Any clone characters would be fine to remove. Redundancy was a real big problem with Brawl's roster, far too many characters playing way too similarly or exactly the same. Cut them out and the roster will improve exponentially.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

WHO THE FUCK VOTED CAPTAIN FALCON.

SHOW YOURSELF.

#12 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Well I guess we won't be seeing Lucario right? what's the new humanoid looking psychic pokemon that had his own movie of the last 2 Pokemon games? I bet there's one so he'll get replace, Falco and Wolf should go there hasn't been a new Star Fox game in a while so they should put those characters to rest and leave some space for other "old franchise" characters (unless they are trying to get them pro players into the new smash so having 3 Fox characters would be a delight for those guys right?) I just want crazy out of place characters.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5810 posts) -

Toon Link, one of the pokemon, Wolf, and Rob. I'd say get rid of Ganondorf, but really I think his moveset should just be changed. Honestly I'd rather they keep the third party characters then replace them with ones from Nintendo franchises no one cares about like Wii Fit Girl.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Toon Link, one of the pokemon, Wolf, and Rob. I'd say get rid of Ganondorf, but really I think his moveset should just be changed. Honestly I'd rather they keep the third party characters then replace them with ones from Nintendo franchises no one cares about like Wii Fit Girl.

Part of the charm of Smash Bros. are the more off-the-wall character choices like Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch.

#15 Edited by MocBucket62 (1245 posts) -

I couldn't care less for Wolf and Zelda. Sheik can stay though.

#16 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

I will find those who voted for Marth. I hear some person from FE: A could easily replace him but keep the same moveset. I could live with that.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I could care less for Wolf and Zelda. Sheik can stay though.

1. I think you mean "couldn't care less."

2. You can't have Sheik without Zelda.

#18 Edited by kkotd (314 posts) -

Only character I care about is Link. He always seems underpowered, but I'm stubborn and love how he plays. They can kill off any of the other roster lol

#19 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

Need more Pokemon. I'd like to see all the previous ones return, Mewtwo should be able to use his new form, and at least one Gen 6 'mon. Also I wouldn't mind if there was a Pokemon trainer for each generation with their region's starters. (Kanto trainer, Hoenn trainer, Unova trainer, etc.) I don't really care about them but I'm not averse to bringing in some of the characters from Pokemon spin-offs, such as a Pokemon Ranger. Also maybe bring in Ash with his own Pikachu.

#20 Posted by Aegon (5703 posts) -

Who's Wolf?

#21 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@aegon said:

Who's Wolf?

Wolf O'Donnell from the Star Fox series. Fox's rival. He was in Brawl, but was just a Fox clone like Falco.

#22 Edited by Aegon (5703 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

I will find those who voted for Marth. I hear some person from FE: A could easily replace him but keep the same moveset. I could live with that.

I only ever played Smash Bros on my friend's N64 and Gamecube. Marth became my go to character. Never played a Fire Emblem game.

#23 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Mario.

I came in here to say this. I find this idea hilarious.

#24 Posted by Slaegar (726 posts) -

There's one or two too many pokemon characters. There's too many pink ball characters (Kirby, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, sort of Metaknight). Ike and Marth should be replaced with a fire emblem awakening character. Ganondorf (more like GanonDORK amirite) plays like a less fun Captain Falcon. Lucas should go away because he's a Ness clone.

Yoshi and Sonic are both terrible so they need to be buffed or removed. Yoshi most interesting move is to fall off the side of the map.

semi-related: I really hope the 3DS and Wii U versions will be able to play together locally. I'd love to bring my 3DS over for some drunken Smash Brother sessions and get my own tiny screen. Also circle pad pro support where the only thing the CPP does is the taunts.

#25 Edited by Solidfox (60 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

Mario.

Yo but lets be real for a minute. Get to my level for a sec and let's talk... Look... Fuck Mario

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@solidfox said:
@mariachimacabre said:

@beachthunder said:

Mario.

Yo but lets be real for a minute. Get to my level for a sec and let's talk... Look... Fuck Mario

Miyamoto, you're drunk. Go to bed. You'll feel better in the morning. And then you'll realize how fucking stupid it is to have 6 different goddamn Pokemon in the game.

#27 Posted by Hunter5024 (5810 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

Part of the charm of Smash Bros. are the more off-the-wall character choices like Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch.

True, but in a way I think third party characters scratch that itch just as well, and probably please more people.

#28 Posted by MrT (162 posts) -

No Mario?

#29 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -

I personally think that the game does not need a little clone of Link nor does it need Snake, Lucas and Wolf. Ike and Marth should should both be removed and replaced by a single Fire Emblem character. Lucario should be removed all together and replaced by no one. Ganondorf and Falco need to made into their own characters this time around.

I really hope they don't get rid of or change Pokemon Trainer. If they do then I at least would want Charizard to be his own selectable character.

#30 Posted by Zacagawea (1599 posts) -

I thought it would be funny if I voted for everyone, so I did that. But, sadly, I no longer think such a thing is funny.

#31 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

True, but in a way I think third party characters scratch that itch just as well, and probably please more people.

Not necessarily. Third-party characters are gimmicky, and very easy to do wrong. Just look at how PSAS fucked up. A character like Wii Fit Trainer is entertaining in part because of the unexpected, but also because of the absurdity that is fighting with yoga poses.

#32 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I selected more than half of them. They seriously need to cut down on the clones. If you can't give a character their own set of moves, they need to be reduced to an alternate costume or cut. I love Ganondorf in the games, but him being a Captain Falcon clone just isn't right. I'm not against the idea of Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong working as tag-team partners, much like the Ice Climbers but with their own unique move sets. I am totally okay with swapping out secondary characters like Falco and Star Wolf, for instance. Those guys certainly aren't staples in the franchise and don't need to be in every game.

Toon Link needs to go and should just be an alternate costume. Characters from dated franchises don't need to be in every game. Do we really need Ness? I'm happy we had King Dedede and would love to see more creative choices like him. It's nice when Nintendo thinks outside of the box with their selections. Captain Olimar? Excellent! More of that, please. Animal Crossing Villager is a good choice.

#33 Posted by TheMasterDS (2083 posts) -

All the clones outside of Luigi, full stop. Wolf, Falco, Toon Link and give Ganondorf a new moveset.

Also Snake and.... I'd be fine with Sonic going as well. Also ROB could go and I'm pretty sure Lucario will go.

#34 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

I think I'd rather see Snake go before Sonic. When you have an exclusive Sonic games coming to Nintendo platforms, I still feel there's a place for him in Smash Bros. It would be nice to see him and Mega Man in the same game. I agree with replacing Ike and Marth with other Fire Emblem characters.

#35 Edited by Hunter5024 (5810 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

Not necessarily. Third-party characters are gimmicky, and very easy to do wrong. Just look at how PSAS fucked up. A character like Wii Fit Trainer is entertaining in part because of the unexpected, but also because of the absurdity that is fighting with yoga poses.

I dont think the roster was what was wrong with PSAS, it just wasn't very fun. An obscure character like Wii Fit Trainer seems just as easy to do wrong as say Simon Belmont, if not easier.

#36 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

Why do you only have 25 characters in this list? It seems you omitted some of the series staples, like Donkey Kong, Mario, Fox and Pikachu, but then you still included Luigi. Also where's Pit?

Lucario, Wolf, Ike, Snake, and Lucas all need to get the boot. I'd say Jigglypuff too but he/she is a good joke character.

Joke character? I assume you never played as Jigglypuff on Melee?

#37 Posted by johncallahan (582 posts) -

WHO THE FUCK VOTED CAPTAIN FALCON?! Captain Falcon is the only reason I ever play any of the Super Smash Bros games.

#38 Posted by Zeeco (105 posts) -
#39 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
#40 Posted by WMoyer83 (647 posts) -

All of the characters play the same, just get rid of the dumb ones like Mario and Link

#41 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3487 posts) -

I main Falcon.

#42 Posted by StarvingGamer (8378 posts) -

Man, was I the only person who mained Wolf?

#43 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

I dont think the roster was what was wrong with PSAS, it just wasn't very fun. An obscure character like Wii Fit Trainer seems just as easy to do wrong as say Simon Belmont, if not easier.

Third-party characters are just special guests. It wouldn't be as special to have them if they started to dominate more of the roster space.

#44 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

WHOEVER VOTED NESS CAN FUCK OFF.

#45 Edited by Hunter5024 (5810 posts) -

@hailinel: True, but I still think a good third party character is better than a bad first party one, and they're very quickly running out of first party franchises to use.

#46 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel: True, but I still think a good third party character is better than a bad first party one, and they're very quickly running out of first party franchises to use.

Your definition of bad is obviously different from mine.

#47 Posted by Hunter5024 (5810 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

My definition of bad is relative to the number of better options they could've used. I think Wii Fit Trainers addition is hilarious, and I'm sure she will be fun to play, but of the hundreds of characters associated with Nintendo, she's not very high on anyone's list of favorites.

#48 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

49% for Wolf? You monsters!

I mean, there is already Fox AND Falco, but Wolf is the coolest of the 3, so axe the other 2.

#49 Edited by sirdesmond (1246 posts) -

I'm glad we all see to be in agreement that Lucario and Wolf are the worst.

#50 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

My definition of bad is relative to the number of better options they could've used. I think Wii Fit Trainers addition is hilarious, and I'm sure she will be fun to play, but of the hundreds of characters associated with Nintendo, she's not very high on anyone's list of favorites.

Neither were Mr. Game & Watch or the Ice Climbers.