Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) 3 months, 25 days ago

Prediction: Which do you guys think Super Smash will sell more on? (134 votes)

3DS 76%
Wii U 24%

I've been thinking about how to write this for a while now. And I've decided that, this is not about what game console you guys are buying for personally, but which is going to sell more. Units, numbers. If you were to bet all the rupees in your pocket, which do you think is going to sell more?

Flatout, I think 3DS is going to sell more. I'm just not very sure Super Smash is gonna be an absolute system seller for Wii U. Thoughts?

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

It seems that a lot more people have a 3DS...

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (13851 posts) -

Larger install base on 3DS by a long shot.

#3 Edited by Scullinator (505 posts) -

I have both and will be picking it up on Wii U. Not sure if I want to play Smash on my small DS screen. Maybe a reason to upgrade to the XL.

I also picked up a Pro Controller on sale in anticipation for this game's release.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

I'm not even sure I want more smash bros... I'll probably pick up a 3ds copy anyway.

#5 Edited by Superkenon (1191 posts) -

Personally, I'll be picking up a WiiU specifically for this. (because come on, HD Smash Bros.!)

3DS is the one with the install base, so I'm pretty certain that will be the prime platform. I suspect this game will be at least somewhat of a system-mover for WiiU though....

#6 Posted by wackojackman (141 posts) -

Initial instinct went with Wii U just based on the fact I think most of the Smash Bros fan-base would prefer it on a home console... But obviously the 3DS currently has a larger number of users, so voted 3DS.

I do worry what Smash Bros might be like on a original 3DS screen though.

#7 Posted by Disaya (261 posts) -

I think if I had a Wii U I would get it for that but since I only have a 3DS, that's what I'll get it on.The 3DS has more people so I'm sure it'll do better there.

#8 Posted by afabs515 (832 posts) -

3DS, but even though I own a 3DS and refuse to buy a Wii U, I can definitely tell that's probably gonna be a pretty subpar version of that game simply because of hardware differences.

#9 Posted by FrankNelson (19 posts) -

I will be getting both, but the fact they are releasing it on the 3DS seems like they are "hedging" their bets on software sales. I think the 3DS will sale better.

#10 Edited by GaspoweR (2510 posts) -

I think n the long-term, it'll probably sell more on WiiU as crazy as that might sound due to the (presumably) much higher 3DS user base compared to WiiU.

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4036 posts) -

I think the 3DS version is going to sell more. I think the WiiU version will do good, maybe even great, but I still don't see the system picking up much steam in 2014 and because of that, I can't possibly imagine the WiiU version doing better than the 3DS version.

#12 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

you dont play fighting games on a handheld, and for this game specifically a big part of the appeal is being in the same room with 1-3 other people with everything happening on the same screen. Even with 3DS having a much bigger install base its clearly not the version to get.

#13 Edited by icybankz (17 posts) -

I think people will buy the Wii U and SSB together. That will increase WiiU's sales, which will lead to having more WiiU users than 3DS

#14 Posted by super2j (1610 posts) -

I know I will basically go buy a 3ds when it comes out (as long as its good) because the library of games and the portability of the 3ds are much more appealing to me. But I kinda feel like smash is all about the home consoles where local multiplayer can experienced at its funnest(plus hd visuals this time).

#15 Posted by crithon (2574 posts) -

actually I'm more interested 3 years later, the whole long tail of these sales is more interesting then immediate reaction.

#16 Posted by Flappy (2034 posts) -

It'll force more people to buy the Wii U, but I don't think it'll be able to compete with the install base of the 3DS. Then again, who wants to play Smash on a handheld? Hm...

Fuck it! Take my rupees! I don't give a damn!

#17 Posted by Whitestripes09 (363 posts) -

Unless the 3DS version is horrible for some reason and doesn't run as smoothly, it will probably sell more.

#18 Posted by TheMasterDS (1865 posts) -

More people have a 3DS... But I think I'll prefer playing on the Wii U because I can use my TV for that. Plus the Gamepad has a bigger screen if I want to play while watching something which you know what actually, I probably will.

#19 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

Im sure most people would prefer it on the WiiU, however, more people own a 3ds rather than a WiiU

#20 Posted by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

If Nintendo was smart they'd release it on Wii U with like a 6 month head start.

#21 Posted by xyzygy (9620 posts) -

I feel like it'll be a huge system seller for the Wii U. Because I mean come on, it's a game you play with a bunch of friends around a TV, swapping controllers out and taking turns. That's where the game shines and I feel the Wii U version has the upper hand, once it picks up in sales from the game (which I think it will)

#22 Posted by Taku128 (723 posts) -

3DS, but I bet the gap won't be as wide as you'd guess. I bet a lot of people will buy Wii Us for Smash Bros.

#23 Posted by HatKing (5557 posts) -

How much do you want to bet we'll ever actually hear the honest numbers one way or another?

#24 Edited by Sidoran (67 posts) -

I believe it will be the 3DS, unfortunately, especially if you factor in Japanese sales. It seems that the Wii U has developed a bit of a stigma as being an undesirable console, and will have a hard time picking up steam even after it gains a few killer apps.

I personally can't wait to play the console version of this.

#25 Edited by StarvingGamer (7559 posts) -

Probably the system people own.

#26 Posted by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

@hatking said:

How much do you want to bet we'll ever actually hear the honest numbers one way or another?

ha. Now that's the truth right there.

I predict that the 3DS version will sell more thanks to the install base, but it's very likely we'll never know. Nintendo will say, "It sold very well," and never clarify how much on each platform. So, while this is an interesting thing to consider, we will likely never have a definitive answer to it.

#27 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2235 posts) -

I'd wager that the 3DS version sells as many units worldwide as the Wii U. Like, the system.

#28 Posted by HatKing (5557 posts) -

@hatking said:

ha. Now that's the truth right there.

I predict that the 3DS version will sell more thanks to the install base, but it's very likely we'll never know. Nintendo will say, "It sold very well," and never clarify how much on each platform. So, while this is an interesting thing to consider, we will likely never have a definitive answer to it.

I don't typically follow this sort of information, but don't the numbers that we typically hear only pertain to retail copies? That seems particularly worthless for Nintendo products considering that they've been really good about providing day one digital copies on all of their games, and most major releases. I know that if I buy the game, I'll probably be getting it from the eShop.

#29 Posted by peritus (904 posts) -

I cant imagine this playing well on a 3DS. So im gonna say Wii-U.

#30 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2047 posts) -

The 3DS is a titan, the Wii U is a shrimp. This seems pretty obvious.