Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

So how well does the online work? (Wii U version)

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FrostyRyan

Let's just share our experiences with how well the online works. Brawl had terrible, extremely laggy online and the Smash 3DS had only slightly better performance.

I'm about to dive into this myself and I'll give my thoughts later but I just thought I'd make this very necessary thread now. So how are you guys finding it so far?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok as far as connecting to a match, I've had a flawless experience. Takes seconds to connect to players and I haven't gotten a single error message. That's much better than what I've had before with brawl and smash 3DS...

As far as actually playing matches.........holy crap, guys. It's nearly perfect so far. Very minimal input lag in both 1v1 and group games. I'm very pleased so far. This is miles and miles better than what we've had before with online Smash. I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the 3DS version but here it's.....hot damn it's nearly perfect. Hitches here and there but yeah, It's certainly more than playable. Hell, I even just won a match.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thanks for answering your own question lol

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ok as far as connecting to a match, I've had a flawless experience. Takes seconds to connect to players and I haven't gotten a single error message. That's much better than what I've had before with brawl and smash 3DS...

As far as actually playing matches.........holy crap, guys. It's nearly perfect so far. Very minimal input lag in both 1v1 and group games. I'm very pleased so far. This is miles and miles better than what we've had before with online Smash. I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the 3DS version but here it's.....hot damn it's nearly perfect. Hitches here and there but yeah, It's certainly more than playable. Hell, I even just won a match.

That's really nice to hear! I'm getting real excited to pick it up.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for answering your own question lol

It's for everyone to discuss?...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I've had so-so results. Some matches had no lag, some had a little lag and I had one match that took 5 minutes to finish instead of 2 because of how bad the lag was.

However, my ISP's service has a feature where you can reduce your internet speed for an unlimited bandwidth cap, which I have selected. I don't know if that's related to my laggy matches or not, but whenever I play PS4 games online I don't have the same issues.

It'd be nice if you could split matches up based on region. Some people have terrible connections which makes it hard when you're playing online.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

In 1v1, it's been mostly great. I've had a few people with a bad connection. When it works properly, it's fantatic!

Reminder: Everyone should get the Lan adapter. Fuck wireless!

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

1v1 has been great so far but 4 players has been a lagfest!

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can't be worse than Brawl.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thread made me lol a bit. Also im not some project Q or whatever high lever e-sportzer, but i played some online last night and it was fun and lag free as far as my puny casul brain could tell. I'll probably be doing a lot of that as i have some roomies i can play with but not sure if ill ever get a whole room of friends together to.

cowsnipers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compared to the 3DS version, I've found that I've been getting many more lag-free matches. I'd say about 10% of the 1v1 matches I've played have slightly noticeable input lag, but I have yet to play a match that was completely unplayable. I need to test more 4 player matches since those were completely unplayable for me on the 3ds version.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There is some lag online. Some matches are good and others are better. I've only had about 3 awesome, basically lag-free matches online. Most hitch up a couple of times during play and a few were absolutely terrible with it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've still had very minimal unplayable lag with both group matches and 1v1...it's actually pretty incredible. Yeah I'll get matches with terrible lag every now and then but mostly it's still very smooth.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've played 169 matches and in about 5 of them I've had noticeable lag, and one of those 5 was absolutely nightmarish. I'd say that's a pretty good number though. The online is really incredible.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've been playing in the For Fun mode for a couple hours, probably played about, I dunno, 25 matches. Out of all of those, I had maybe 3 that were enjoyable. Mostly somewhere between .5-2 second delay between inputs, pretty much unplayable. I know it's not me, I haven't had anything close to this bad of a connection speed on wi-fi before. Hell, I played Killer Instinct just fine on it. Are 4 player smashes just completely fucked in matchmaking? I haven't tried For Glory yet, maybe everyone playing For Fun is on dial-up? I dunno.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.