This game is... not good.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"Join the game designer of GRAW and Halo Reach to help create the spiritual successor to the original Rainbow Six and SWAT4."

Right now the game is nothing like R6 or SWAT4. The Kickstarter money was meant for a demo to convince a publisher to back the project. They found a publisher and made this "game".

I'd advice against picking this up if you're looking for something similar to the games name-dropped by Serellan in their Kickstarter campaign.

It feels like a pre-alpha build with mock-up menus, placeholder animations/characters, and the AI is terrible. I'm sure they'll attempt to patch and add stuff eventually; but in my opinion they aren't even close on release. There's nothing tactical about the experience delivered in this. They would have come a long way if they did some research and just copied what made R6 (1998) a fan favorite and built from there, but Takedown has less options, feels generic and it seems like someone wanted to make a game but abandoned it.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The game is fucking busted. It is so sad. The AI is inexistent, and it does feel like it lacks choice in equipment.

Just reinstalled SWAT 4 and man that game is still so good.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've noticed that there is a bit of a shitstorm in the Steam forums for this game.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man and at the same time this releases Rainbow 6 Vegas is the free game with gold thing. Don't know who is going to buy this.

Stile7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing America's army proving grounds. It's a free game by the army. Check out a hard core server, much more lethal and tactical game play.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Just played a little bit of this. Yikes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

That's really disappointing to hear.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Sadly, it seems they made about 25% of a game before running out of money, so they just released what they had.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Fucking.. :?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was this the game with the hilariously generic Kickstarter project name until like the very last second?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Is it at least terrible in a funny way? Or just plain awful?

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nights

That's unfortunate, but the writing has been on the wall since E3. I've backed Kickstarter projects on two occasions (this and Star Citizen) and this was the first. I threw them 40 bucks back in the spring of 2012 as I had been dying to play a new tactical, CQB shooter. I watched the E3 videos and it looked alright, but it clearly needed work. They then released the E3 code to backers at a later day and while playing it I thought to myself, "This is a decent proof of concept." Hadn't really been following the game up until release, but when I received an email notifying me that TAKEDOWN was going to drop on September 20th, I shook my head. There was no way this game seemed ready for release. The $15 price point was also very disconcerting. What a bummer and a complete waste of money, but that's Kickstarter for you. It's a gamble. I have a lot more faith in Star Citizen.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

How do you fuck this up so bad?

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rickyyo

@theht: Awful might be a stretch but yeah it isn't funny.

The server situation is abysmal. You have to use the unreal terminal to get anything worth while done. The game itself isn't fun as a terrorist hunt or mission based game. It might be ok as a multiplayer game. I haven't gathered enough people to do that.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer. If you want to get your tactics on I suggest an overlooked little title called The Regiment, released a few years ago. It's based on the SAS and the first mission is the Iranian embassy in London.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Was this the game with the hilariously generic Kickstarter project name until like the very last second?

Oh, you mean "Hardcore Tactical Shooter"? I seem to remember that. So this is how it's ended up, huh?

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I backed this and I remember that they BARELY made it. Maybe they needed more money then they asked for.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rickyyo

@arbitrarywater: I'm pretty sure that is the one.

Saying that to myself right now made me wish I had known that. No ambition.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By koolaid

WOW. People seemed pissed off. I wanna download and play it ASAP to see for myself. I wonder if its expectations are too high, or if it is as unplayable as people say.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think funding FPS on kickstarter is a mistake ... if we already know the FPS genre is very prone for failures as is. Dont let this discourage you to fund other games tho.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koolaid: Trust me you don't wanna play it. Better to spend your money on something good.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GameSpot: "Takedown: Red Sabre should be taken down from the Steam servers where it is currently being sold for $14.99. This alleged tactical shooter from developer Serellan is unfinished and broken, with playability problems everywhere you look. Idiotic enemy AI, hilariously busted rag-doll animations, crippled multiplayer, absurd single-player difficulty, and some bugs make the game nearly impossible to play, let alone enjoy."

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickyyo: I backed it! I already got a code. But yeah... this is like a pre alpha. This ain't tactical, its just clunky! Bummer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@greggd said:

Ask for and receive a budget that isn't anywhere near enough to produce the game you're trying to make.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yinstarrunner

The main thing I'm constantly seeing with kickstarter is developers being way too overambitious with the limited budgets they're getting from KS.

People need to stop buying into this wish-fulfillment bullshit and actually look at the developers of the games they're backing. Are they a new company? Red flag. Are they making a lot of promises that aren't very realistic? Red flag. Is their entire campaign based around fellating your nostalgia for old games? Red flag.

But most importantly, do they actually have someone who understands business and money? The downsides of not having publishers is that you don't have the financial checks and balances that you normally would.

Never trust an artist to plan things within budget.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@greggd said:

Ask for and receive a budget that isn't anywhere near enough to produce the game you're trying to make.

The sad part is, I wildly assume they scaled it down as much as they could, but this is probably the best they could do with the budget available.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By PufferFiz

The main thing I'm constantly seeing with kickstarter is developers being way too overambitious with the limited budgets they're getting from KS.

People need to stop buying into this wish-fulfillment bullshit and actually look at the developers of the games they're backing. Are they a new company? Red flag. Are they making a lot of promises that aren't very realistic? Red flag. Is their entire campaign based around fellating your nostalgia for old games? Red flag.

But most importantly, do they actually have someone who understands business and money? The downsides of not having publishers is that you don't have the financial checks and balances that you normally would.

Never trust an artist to plan things within budget.

I really only back projects that are near completion, this back a project when all it is is a design doc is calling for trouble.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing as how the top forum for this game is a petition to get it removed from steam id say thats a bad sign.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most enjoyment I got out the game was abusing the text to speech feature. Now they've taken that out, I really don't want to ever play that game again.

Here's a video of the Giant Bomb Gaming Hub experiencing it for the first time, in all its glory:

Loading Video...

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mister_V

@samstrife: Wow, and to think i almost bought this to join you guys...

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SamStrife

@mister_v said:

@samstrife: Wow, and to think i almost bought this to join you guys...

You dodged a bullet, my friend

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samstrife: Oh god... OH GOD. I'm still hearing "wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"... what have you done to me!?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Just be thankful you didn't have to play it. Oh God, I still shudder thinking about it.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers