#1 Edited by Yummylee (21289 posts) -

Oi Oi!

• The loot you grab in Tales will be available to use in other areas of the Borderlands franchise
  • It’s an episodic series that’ll be $4.99 per episode (or you can save with the Season Pass)
  • Your choices matter and will help create YOUR version of the story across the season
  • The series takes place after the events of Borderlands 2. Handsome Jack is gone. Or is he? You might have seen the trailer we put out a while back
  • You’re going to play two different viewpoints. Rhys works for Hyperion; he’s a company man with grand ambitions that have been thrown off the rails. Fiona is a fast-talking con artist, with very few people left on Pandora she hasn’t swindled one way or another
  • They both have a very different opinion of the events that brought them together, and the only way to find out something near to the truth is to live their lives and make your own decisions

That there's the basic gist of what they're saying thus far, alongside the new screenshots. So... guess what, it's going to be an awful lot like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, but now set in the Borderlands-verse. EDIT: Ah, here's the whole set of the screenshots, which looks to include the appearance of one... er, Zer0.

How's everyone feeling about this anywhoo? Myself I'd say I'm at least more curious about this than the Game of Thrones one, if only because we've already got so much grimdark Telltale on our plate, so for them to be involved in a Borderlands adventure game means they'll theoretically be getting back to more of their comedy stylings.

While I also do primarily enjoy the Borderlands series for the shooting and the looting, I'm still a fan of the universe itself as well. I enjoy a fair few of the characters, I like the hyper-violent Mad Max sorta-parody tone to it all, and yes, I also find these games to be rather funny. Though I'm in the minority on that one for sure, especially on this site at least. It's a universe that I'm excited to be able to view from such a different perspective as this, one that is obviously a lot more story-orientated and should do well in actually expanding the fiction.

Plus the two protagonists sound interesting, what with both of 'em seemingly being kinda scummy; one's a Hyperion employee for a Christ sake, which is a position that should offer up a lot of fun story strands to go with. And the other's a ''fast-talking'' con-artist to boot, which sounds like the sort of character that'll at the very least have a lot of charisma. Curious who each'll be voiced by; given the many voice actor crossovers between TWD and TWoU, I imagine they'll be continuing with that stash they've got going on.

Lastly it's kinda interesting to hear that there'll be some unique items you can then port into other Borderlands games. For PC players in particular, though given that I would imagine they only carry over to games on the same platform, and I would imagine this'll be available on PS4, that then makes the lack of a current-gen version of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel all the more annoying. But oh well, not like the shooter Borderlands are ever lacking in a variety of items to procure....

#2 Posted by EuanDewar (4777 posts) -

I'm quite interested in this. Been a lil while since Telltale have done something a bit more light-hearted.

#3 Posted by Bocam (3674 posts) -

I can't wait to play as Not-Handsome Jack.

#4 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

Telltale is making it so I'm pretty much obligated to play but...I don't know about this...

#5 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (367 posts) -

Borderlands 2 just about killed any and all interest I had in the series, but dammit if I won't play anything Telltale puts out, especially in their current style.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10538 posts) -

That's interesting if loot from this can be Transfarred over into the other games. Not really useful, I'd imagine, but interesting.

#7 Posted by BaconGames (3302 posts) -

I think the universe had quite a lot of potential after the first game and boy would I be down with this if it was basically independent of anything that happened in Borderlands 2, particularly Handsome Jack. As it stands, it looks like Telltale is doing something right at the core of it which is good to hear but we'll see if the bad taste in people's mouths after Borderlands 2 sours any attempt at using the universe as it is currently. I will say that, strangely enough, I'm more interested in this than I was before I saw the screenshots. Still, the robot and the Hyperion moon base clearly puts this in the Borderlands 2 side of the pond which I suppose is the collateral damage for making this game at this moment in time.

#8 Edited by Yummylee (21289 posts) -

@bacongames said:

I think the universe had quite a lot of potential after the first game and boy would I be down with this if it was basically independent of anything that happened in Borderlands 2, particularly Handsome Jack. As it stands, it looks like Telltale is doing something right at the core of it which is good to hear but we'll see if the bad taste in people's mouths after Borderlands 2 sours any attempt at using the universe as it is currently. I will say that, strangely enough, I'm more interested in this than I was before I saw the screenshots. Still, the robot and the Hyperion moon base clearly puts this in the Borderlands 2 side of the pond which I suppose is the collateral damage for making this game at this moment in time.

In case you're not already aware Handsome Jack will in fact be in the game. Also, your implication that Borderlands 2 is this universally reviled game seems a bit off-base don't you think? I'm pretty sure that besides on Giant Bomb it was generally well liked.

Hell, Dameon Clarke even won an award (a VGX award, though, but... still) for his performance as Handsome Jack.

#9 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

Borderlands 2 sort of lost me.

#10 Edited by BaconGames (3302 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@bacongames said:

In case you're not already aware Handsome Jack will in fact be in the game. Also, your implication that Borderlands 2 is this universally reviled game seems a bit off-base don't you think? I'm pretty sure that besides on Giant Bomb it was generally well liked.

I was aware he will be in the game but I was more going for a hypothetical in that case. I don't quite think Borderlands 2 is universally reviled but it was more divisive than Borderlands at least as far as the story is concerned. I don't think it was wholly deserved but writers like Anthony Burch got his fair share of shit for the writing in that games, not to mention people's opinions on Tiny Tina. In general I find it's a bit murkier a reception and whether it's the reaction to Borderlands 2 or where Gearbox's reputation is at the moment, Telltale's use of the franchise is at least somewhat precarious.

I think reviewers rightly pointed out the game played well and such but I feel at least somewhat sure in saying that the universe of Borderlands is weaker than it was since the first game came out.

#11 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5261 posts) -

Huh, I was under the impression this was a prequel of sorts. Anyways looks interesting. I'm still on good terms with the franchise, also Telltale, so I'll definitely be playing this.

#12 Edited by StarvingGamer (8029 posts) -

Cool, I'm not part of the "cool to hate Borderlands" crowd and I love adventure games so sign me up. Not sure if I'll be picking up the pre-sequel though.

#13 Posted by Palmlykta (193 posts) -

I was kind of fed up with Borderlands by the end of the first one actually, so yeah... guess that makes me part of the anti-Borderlands mob. Good on them for trying out new things though! That's nice.

Telltale sure got a lot of work these days huh?

#14 Edited by YI_Orange (1133 posts) -

I thought Borderlands 2 was better than better than Borderlands 1 in every way. I also thought Handsome Jack was all right. He was really easy to hate and kind of annoying. He was an all around shitty dude that was looking forward to killing. Effective as a villain I'd say.

Edit - I guess to be on topic: I'm less interested in this than TWD and TWAU, but I'm curious how it'll shake out. If they let Telltale write it and don't force too much of the Borderlands "humor" into it then it could turn out pretty well.

#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

How many games is Telltale working on right now?

#16 Posted by altairre (1137 posts) -

Since the first season of Walking Dead I just play everything that Telltale puts out because all of that stuff has been top notch. I stopped playing Borderlands 2 about two thirds of the way through because it got too repetetive and the combat just wasn't strong enough to carry it but if Telltale can write interesting characters in that universe and give them something meaningful to do then I'm totally in (because let's face it, the story and characters in the main two games were kind of bland or too gimmicky).

#17 Posted by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

How many games is Telltale working on right now?

At least 4. Finishing Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us and working on this and Game of Thrones. Plus one can assume they are planning on more series/sequels.

The multiple protagonists sounds like they are testing that feature and refining it for the Game of Thrones game.

#18 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

I played the hell out of Borderlands 2, but it actually never occurred to me that there were people who had become attached to the fiction. Shows what I know about the gaming audience, I guess.

I'll pass.

#19 Posted by RazielCuts (2939 posts) -

Is it going to be weird that another studio, TellTale, are going to be able to tell a better story with Gearbox's IP than Gearbox can?

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (11713 posts) -

Hm, I hope the two main characters are more interesting than they seem. Also, I really hope Patricia Tannis is in the game.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this an infinite amount more than Game of Thrones and the new FPS Borderlands. I think I've had my fill of shooty Borderlands games.