• 82 results
#1 Edited by kadash299 (249 posts) -

Many of us loved The Walking Dead, but now with the several announcements of projects they're working on... should we be worried about Quality?

I mean, they're doing The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, and The Walking Dead: Season Two..

That seems like a lot for a studio that wasn't really "famous" until TWD. Im just fearful that perhaps the high quality experience we all had with TWD the first time won't ever be had again with so many games in production.

Opinions?

EDIT: someone has also brought up the great point of competitors, of which there are currently none. Which gives me the concern: Are they going to single handedly saturate the market with Walking Dead clones with less impactful stories (since we've now seen it) ?

Feel free to give opinions on that as well.

#2 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (273 posts) -

They've gotten a lot bigger in the past year, so it's only natural that they're working on more projects. And if The Wolf Among Us is any indication of how much effort is being put into these games, we don't have anything to worry about.

#3 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

It'll be fine...probably? Hopefully?

#4 Posted by csl316 (7364 posts) -

I thought the same thing. Splitting time between Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seemed like a tall order. But maintaining a high standard across four projects? I don't know, man.

#5 Edited by kadash299 (249 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I thought the same thing. Splitting time between Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seemed like a tall order. But maintaining a high standard across four projects? I don't know, man.

My thoughts exactly,

and Phoenix, I would only contest by saying that they're likely only working actively on 1 or 2 projects at the time of episode 1's release of TWAU

They've gotten a lot bigger in the past year, so it's only natural that they're working on more projects. And if The Wolf Among Us is any indication of how much effort is being put into these games, we don't have anything to worry about.

#6 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I hope a certain someone stays away from this. I really don't want a repeat of the last game.

#7 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

You should always be worried about quality. There have been far more Jurassic Parks rather than Walking Deads.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (7669 posts) -

Depends on how they're structured. I imagine they will spread around talent to accommodate that many titles, and that could mean varying quality between them.

Since I am not intimately familiar with the inner-workings of their studio, though, I can hardly say anything definitive about whether or not they are spreading themselves too thin.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

I think they need a competitor (a Sonic to their Mario, if you will). That way they won't be the only people trying to make these games.

#10 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1521 posts) -

Not thin enough. I need more Monkey Island.

#11 Edited by kadash299 (249 posts) -

I think they need a competitor (a Sonic to their Mario, if you will). That way they won't be the only people trying to make these games.

Thats something else I'm concerned about..

Are they going to single handedly saturate the market with Walking Dead clones with less impactful stories (since we've now seen it) ?

#12 Posted by crithon (2582 posts) -

Jurassic Park, nuff said..... but I mean they have this feel good under dog appeal, you always want to root them to succeed because they make very modest games. They aren't going out there like Diakatana or even anything by EA Soulless corporation.

#13 Edited by SlashDance (1758 posts) -

The Walking Dead was announced more than a year before the first episode came out, so my guess is they have not even started working on Game of Thrones.

Also, they've always had multiple teams working on different projects. That's why Puzzle Agent exists, that's why Jurassic Park exists, that's why these crappy CSI games exist. The difference here is that they're working on multiple "big" projects at once, but with the success of TWD it's not too hard to imagine that they've been able to hire a bunch of people.

Wait and see I guess, but I'm not too worried.

#14 Posted by Zeik (2114 posts) -

I've enjoyed every single Telltale game I've played (have not played Jurassic Park) so I'm not worried yet. The Walking Dead was great, but it's hardly the only good thing they've done. In fact I feel like that game was only as good as it was because how much they've learned over the years.

And although no other company has quite the same notoriety for story heavy adventure games, there are plenty of indie competitors out there making games that aren't too far off from what they're doing.

#15 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Vid game studios can always hire new talent ya know..

#16 Edited by Vuud (1441 posts) -

I want them to go back and finish Bone damnit!

#17 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

Until one of them turns out bad, I'm not too worried. I will say that a Borderlands adventure game sounds like just about the least appealing thing but I guess if anyone can make it work, it's Telltale.

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

I hope not.

#19 Posted by SunBroZak (843 posts) -

I hope a certain someone stays away from this. I really don't want a repeat of the last game.

You really didn't enjoy it? I thought Borderlands 2's writing was pretty good. Good enough for the Borderlands universe, anyway.

#20 Posted by ShaggE (5987 posts) -

It's weird to me because when I think of Telltale, I think of their early days when juggling TWO games was a tall order. I haven't been active on their forums in years, but I have fond memories of how tight-knit everybody was, devs and fans both. Now they're growing at breakneck speed with bigger and bigger IPs, and while I'm not worried too much about quality, I am worried about Telltale losing that homegrown feel.

As hokey as it sounds, it's like seeing an old friend make it big and ditch their old life. You're happy for them and you love what they're doing, but you miss just hanging out.

#21 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

Unless you know how many people work at telltale and what their schedules/process is like, you really couldn't have a clue.

We'll see how the quality is when the games hit.

Borderlands seems weird though. Very much don't care about that one. Ultra excited for Game of Thrones though. Some might even say S Class excited.

#22 Edited by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -

Maybe. I have no idea how big Telltale is. Although it sounds like they haven't even started Game of Thrones yet, and since they release their games episodically, the bulk of the work will take place after the game's nebulous 2014 release date.

#23 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@sunbrozak: Let me remind you of what Ryan said about the game:

The game was insufferable with all the memes. If Telltale makes a game with that many references, it's dead in the water. That's why I hope they don't hire Anthony.

#24 Posted by Raven10 (1596 posts) -

I thought the same thing, but there are a couple things to keep in mind. First off Telltale has always worked on multiple games at once. In the past they've released as many as five games in a single year. Secondly Telltale has stated that they need to sell only 100,000 copies or so of their games to make a profit and The Walking Dead sold something like 8 million. Since they started that series they've come close to doubling their staff. So I don't think they have spread themselves to thin. I think the question is more about the quality of their new teams. Telltale is just a company and there are obviously at least three different teams working there. So is the Fables team as good as The Walking Dead team? And how are the teams of the two newly announced games? While I'm sure there is crossover among the teams, the designers and writers probably are only working on a single game at a time so the quality could vary from team to team.

The other factor is that Telltale has made well over a dozen games and while many of their earlier games were good, just as many were mediocre, and a couple were pretty bad. They are under a lot of pressure after The Walking Dead, but that game was far and away the best game they have ever made. Only time will tell if that was just a one time fluke or if it was a sign of things to come.

#25 Posted by SlashDance (1758 posts) -

@nekroskop: Let me remind you what the dude responded :

People made it sound like the whole thing was just memes on top of memes on top of memes. "Written by reddit" is a gross exaggeration, to say the least. There's some genuinely funny stuff in Borderlands 2. I don't think it's outstanding by any stretch, but I don't get the hate Anthony Burch gets. Especially after Borderlands 1...

#26 Posted by HatKing (5568 posts) -

Did everybody just forget about Jurassic Park?

#27 Posted by Rafaelfc (1284 posts) -

The sad part is that I think i'm done with the Telltale brand of adventure game for a while after thoroughly enjoying The Walking Dead (which I think is so outstanding they shouldn't even try a season 2).

#28 Posted by TheGorilla (215 posts) -

@slashdance: One meme is too many memes. I will not play games with memes. memesmemesmemes

#29 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

I think they'll give the games I care about the time they need. I also don't think making a Borderlands game without the Borderlands "humor" makes any sense. Like, if you dont like Borderlands, that series isnt for you and shouldn't be written for you. Why the fuck would they make a game set in that universe and change everything about it to win over non-fans? How would you feel if they had done that with Monkey Island?

#30 Posted by ChaosDent (233 posts) -

They are a studio dedicated to releasing episodic games and the pipeline between planning, content generation, execution and testing is more or less linear. I'm sure they need a certain amount of both active and upcoming projects to keep everyone busy working on something. I wouldn't be surprised to see these new franchises launch in September and October after The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us wrap up their current seasons. One episode per month from Telltale is not that unreasonable to hope for, but we'll see when the release schedule is announced.

#31 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

If their past games are any indication, I'm a little concerned that these are going to range from alright to so-so. Keep in mind, this is based on my opinion and incomplete knowledge of their full history, but this is what I recall.

Telltale's projects (in roughly chronological order)

• Some poker games (this is long prior to Night at the Inventory)
  • Some murder mystery adventure game, I think
  • An adventure game based on the comic "Bone"
  • Sam and Max Season 1: A big hit! Adventure games are BACK, in the form of episodic point-and-click comedies!!
  • Monkey Island Season 1: Also pretty good! Not that much different structurally from Sam and Max Season 1, but that's fine.
  • Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Not perfect, but it certainly has its moments
  • Sam and Max Season 2: Decent but very formulaic
  • Wallace and Grommit: Not awful but just as formulaic
  • Poker Night at the Inventory: Yeah sure, why the fuck not?
  • Sam and Max Season 3: You could set your watch by these games at this point
  • Back to the Future: Adventure games are officially no longer back.
  • Jurassic Park: What are they DOING over there?
  • The Walking Dead: A huge hit! Adventure games are BACK, in the form of episodic dialogue-driven dramas!!
  • The Wolf Among Us: Also pretty good! Not that much different structurally from The Walking Dead, but that's fine.

I just hope that Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, and The Walking Dead Season 2 don't repeat the same downward spiral.

#32 Posted by forteexe21 (212 posts) -

Didnt they announced Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Walking Dead and Fables on the same event?

#33 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

TWD changed the game for them I think. They were all about humor games prior to that and now their newer projects have a bit of edge to them. But then, people were pretty stoked about Monkey Island and Sam and Max for a bit, till they ran the well dry on that specific kind of game. It'll probably happen again, but not for a bit.

#34 Edited by Xeiphyer (5589 posts) -

I'm sure they have the manpower to accommodate all those games, or at least some strategy to shift people around between projects properly.

What I'm worried about is that the actual creative talent is being spread too thin, or only working on some of the games. Definitely expecting equal parts hit and miss with these games. Although I guess that's the Telltale way.

#35 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

It's that Borderlands adventure game everyone was asking for!

#36 Posted by Flacracker (1391 posts) -

Yes. Now they are pushing the release of the next Wolf Amung Us episode back. Then they put that shit on sale so people who bought it early pretty much got ripped off. Will be down to 75% off by the time all the episodes are released.

#37 Posted by BaconGames (3136 posts) -

If The Walking Dead Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us turn out great, then they'll learn some important lessons as they've done before if these two new announcements happen to disappoint. I've been a fan of theirs for years and I trust them to keep at it, mistakes and all.

#38 Posted by marc (431 posts) -

I think it will be fine. These games for me are all about the story, game play is a far distant second. I figured they peaked with the Walking Dead, but so far finding The Wolf Among Us even better. Can't wait for episode 2!

#39 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2072 posts) -

It's weird, the game I'm looking forward to most is Tales from the Borderlands and I fucking hated Borderlands 2 and Walking Dead season 2 is my least anticipated yet I loved the first season.

Although my wife will probably LOVE Game of Thrones, so I look forward to watching her play that.

#40 Posted by soulcake (211 posts) -

Remember they mad Jurassic park :D

#41 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

Weren't we having this exact conversation a few years ago when they suddenly announced Back to the Future, Monkey Island, and Jurassic Park all at the same time?

#42 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

@landon said:

Weren't we having this exact conversation a few years ago when they suddenly announced Back to the Future, Monkey Island, and Jurassic Park all at the same time?

Right. Well. People were correct about that. JP was such a flop it changed the trajectory of the entire company.

#43 Posted by BisonHero (5674 posts) -

@sunbrozak said:

@nekroskop said:

You really didn't enjoy it? I thought Borderlands 2's writing was pretty good. Good enough for the Borderlands universe, anyway.

As much as I think Anthony is a decent games writer (from his blog posts and Destructoid stuff), and I occasionally enjoys the comedy skits he does with his sister, I think it is utterly insane that Gearbox hired him to just be lead writer for Borderlands 2 out of the gate.

I mean, I guess his comedy skits are crude and violent in a way that is comparable to how Borderlands is or something, but it still takes time to hone your craft. Similarly, there are lots of comedians who are great at doing stand-up, but they're not immediately good at writing movie or TV scripts. You need to practice on some smaller projects and/or projects that maybe don't have tons and tons of writing involved. Jumping into being the main writer for an open world game with a fair amount of dialogue seems crazy to me.

And he's still kind of a young dude. It's kinda weird that his first job is at Gearbox. I assume a lot of games writers tough it out at lesser known devs until they write something actually pretty good that gets them noticed. So given his age, I'm kinda fine with how not-great Anthony's comedy writing is for games? He's a funny guy, but it takes time, and I think he's in like his mid-20s? Maybe not a fair comparison, but I bet, say, Erik Wolpaw wasn't as funny yet in his mid-20s either.

#44 Posted by crithon (2582 posts) -

hey, I just realized this, did they announce a date for Fables ep 2? It's been almost 2 months since episode 1. What is an acceptable scheduled for these types of games?

#45 Posted by Emoney244 (151 posts) -

Well Wolf Among Us was REALLY good. So I wouldn't worry.

#46 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

I'm a bit worried as well. TWD and the first episode for Wolf Among Us were great, so I have hope, but it does seem like they have a ton going on; possibly too much.

#47 Posted by ManMadeGod (1509 posts) -

They moved into a new office this summer and hired a CFO that has experience with IPO's. They're aiming for the sky right now with plenty of cash to expand and hire talent.

#48 Edited by GalacticPunt (983 posts) -

Apparently their manpower isn't spread thin enough yet, since they didn't even respond to my resume a few months back... :(

#49 Posted by The_Nubster (1951 posts) -

@nekroskop said:

A lot of what brought it down for me, personally, was the awful, awful characterisation that was given to the four leads of BL1. During BL1, those characters were nothing but amazing psychopaths who loved shooting things in the face, but they were given personalities without any reason behind them. Roland is suddenly a stuck-up, straight-edge military commander, Lilith became an angsty teenager who had a big ol' crush on Roland, Mordecai became an introverted alcoholic, and Brick... well, they did okay with Brick. But anything involving the other three was so cringe-inducingly awful that it killed any momentum the game had going for it. On top of that, the story just kind of moved along from point to point because it was a videogame, instead of seeming like a logical progression of events.

Also, Tiny Tina is the worst character in videogames.

#50 Posted by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -

Many of us loved The Walking Dead, but now with the several announcements of projects they're working on... should we be worried about Quality?

I mean, they're doing The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, and The Walking Dead: Season Two..

That seems like a lot for a studio that wasn't really "famous" until TWD. Im just fearful that perhaps the high quality experience we all had with TWD the first time won't ever be had again with so many games in production.

Opinions?

EDIT: someone has also brought up the great point of competitors, of which there are currently none. Which gives me the concern: Are they going to single handedly saturate the market with Walking Dead clones with less impactful stories (since we've now seen it) ?

Feel free to give opinions on that as well.

What are you even talking about? Telltale was plenty famous before The Walking Dead. It was their biggest hit but they've been successful and famous for a while.

What are these Walking Dead clones with less impactful stories that we are supposed to have seen that they've saturated the market with in the last year?

Telltale has taken out almost all of the actual gameplay in their games so the quality is pretty much entirely dependent on the writing team, which is a small part of the entire team making the game. There's no reason to think they're speading themselves too thin. 2 or 3 good writing teams could be only a handful of people.

Yes. Now they are pushing the release of the next Wolf Amung Us episode back. Then they put that shit on sale so people who bought it early pretty much got ripped off. Will be down to 75% off by the time all the episodes are released.

That's been the case for every Telltale game released on steam. I've never felt ripped off because I enjoy playing the games when they come out.