#1 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1902 posts) -

Telltale made their official annoucement on Twitter today:

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/409480716628393985

As a fan of Telltale's recent style of games, and a huge fan of the Song of Ice & Fire book series, I am really excited to see how this will develop. Will they be tempted to add combat to their formula, or will they focus more on the intrigue and politics? I'm personally hoping for the latter.

The only downside, at least for someone like me who is ambivalent about the HBO show, is that they seem to be working with HBO directly on this, so it will most likely be based on the TV show. (As if the title itself wasn't already an indication.)

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Please tell me it's coming out in Winter 2014, and that they announced this by saying "Winter is Coming". (That's literally the only thing I know about Game of Thrones.)

#3 Edited by Yummylee (22574 posts) -

As well as like 6 other games, apparently.

So what is it up to now?

• The Walking Dead Season 2.
  • The Wolf Among Us.
  • Tales from the Borderlands.
  • Game of Thrones.

...Maybe TWD S1 really did do that well enough so as to how they're able to balance all of these projects. Because goddamn, I thought simultaneously working on TWD S2 and Wolf was already a bit much and was perhaps getting in the way of the other. Though I imagine those two at least will surely be finished before the first episode of either Game of Thrones of Tales of Borderlands gets released.

#4 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

This, the borderlands thing, the wolf among us and the walking dead holy shit.

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

Wait what's the Borderlands thing?

#6 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4893 posts) -

How quickly people forget that Telltale's only game to reach critical acclaim was The Walking Dead. The more this studio does, the more I'm convinced that The Walking Dead was lightning in a bottle.

#7 Edited by BigJeffrey (5110 posts) -

wiener wiener

#8 Edited by Capum15 (5000 posts) -
@artisanbreads said:

Wait what's the Borderlands thing?

I'm guessing The Walking Dead: Borderlands Style.

It was announced during VGX. Pretty cool trailer.

Edit: Someone already made a page here.

#9 Posted by DeadpanCakes (1065 posts) -

I hafta to concur with the concern over the fact that they're tackling so many projects at once.

Hopefully it won't feel all oversaturated by the time the last episode of whatever they end up doing last is released.

#10 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

Walking Dead and Fables are okay, because they still have that comic book indie side..... but like...... are we going to accept that whole robotic animation considering how high the production values on the show are. And the RANDOM NUDITY that isn't nessicary. Like the whole lesbian scene that goes on and on and on and on and on and for the love of nerdom even I got bored.

I wish it was a Turned Based Strategy game instead, just the idea of that crude animation of Telltale is not exciting me. Right now playing Poker Night, have that one my mind.

#11 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

Well it's easy to produce a lot of games quickly when they have barely any gameplay and are always technical trainwrecks. I don't see the quality improving either with them stretching like this.

#12 Edited by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

How quickly people forget that Telltale's only game to reach critical acclaim was The Walking Dead. The more this studio does, the more I'm convinced that The Walking Dead was lightning in a bottle.

What? Sam and Max and Wallace and Grommit were both pretty well received. The Wolf Among Us's first episode is doing very well critically. Where the hell did you get that idea? Did you just not care for them, and therefore believe that they were poorly received as a result?

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (12431 posts) -

Bummer, two TT games that don't really interest me. I feel like I'm over Borderlands and Game of Thrones seems like the most dull thing I can imagine =(

Yet, I love Telltale. I'll probably get them anyway - I already own every other Telltale adventure game =\

#14 Edited by Yummylee (22574 posts) -
@pr1mus said:

Well it's easy to produce a lot of games quickly when they have barely any gameplay and are always technical trainwrecks. I don't see the quality improving either with them stretching like this.

The Wolf Among Us at least has, so far, ran perfectly on PS3 and didn't suffer from a lot of the graphical and technical hiccups TWD had. It also looks significantly better too, though that could purely be because of the more vibrant art style. It's still early goings of course, but I would like to think that they've already made a huge improvement on their development process.

Though if anything that's why I'm worried about them tackling all of this stuff at once, or close enough at least where it may affect the quality of the products itself.

#15 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I'm skeptical they can be true to Martin's atmosphere and themes from the books. I think they'll make a something a little too sterile. And I think that will make enough boring people happy for it to sell well.

#16 Posted by ripelivejam (4883 posts) -
#17 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

How quickly people forget that Telltale's only game to reach critical acclaim was The Walking Dead.

Not even close.

#18 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -
@yummylee said:
@pr1mus said:

The Wolf Among Us at least has, so far, ran perfectly on PS3 and didn't suffer from a lot of the graphical and technical hiccups TWD had. It also looks significantly better too, though that could purely be because of the more vibrant art style. It's still early goings of course, but I would like to think that they've already made a huge improvement on their development process.

Though if anything that's why I'm worried about them tackling all of this stuff at once, or close enough at least where it may affect the quality of the products itself.

I have to say TWD left me really bitter about Telltale. The game is so simple both mechanically and visually and still ran like ass on my computer. Haven't tried The Wolf Among Us and i'm not particularly interested to be honest. Which brings me to the fact i doubt they can make any meaningful change to the basic structure of their games if they're piling on projects like this. If everything more or less shares the same aesthetic and gameplay and they're releasing multiple games a year like this that formula is gonna grow old faster than Call of Duty.

#19 Posted by gike987 (1780 posts) -

I don't have high hopes for this game. The telltale guys seemed to know very little about the show or the books and I can't see how telltales less than great animations and simple graphics would work well in this.

#20 Posted by ripelivejam (4883 posts) -

also i'd like to add an emphatic fuck yes. GoT (the show at least) is threatening critical mass with oversaturation, but i still love the books (out so far) and am ready and willing to further line GURM's coffers.

also this is pretty much the best pairing possible.

(i DEARLY hope it's based on Dunk and Egg)

#21 Edited by PatODay (220 posts) -

I'll be interested to see how they write this game and from what characters perspective they do it from.

#22 Posted by ripelivejam (4883 posts) -

Adventures of Dolorous Edd please.

#23 Posted by Humanity (10117 posts) -

Jurassic Park was a runaway hit!

#24 Posted by thatdudeguy (125 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Well it's easy to produce[...]

Yeah, I stopped there.

#25 Posted by Aegon (5840 posts) -

@ripelivejam: Dunk and Egg would be great but somehow I doubt that's what it'll be. In the interview it sounded like they weren't sure themselves.

#26 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

An opportunity for more bad Borderlands humor does not please me.

#27 Posted by Sergio (2258 posts) -

I've read the books. I've watched the show. I don't need the same story told again in a game this time if that's what this ends up being.

#28 Posted by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

Big fan of the books and show. Interested to see what Telltale does with it.

#29 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Intrigue is by far the most interesting part of Game of Thrones so ideally this would be Baelish/Varys centric and completely ignore the dull-as-hell warrior types.

#30 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

They might as well start making Star Wars games, too, since they seem to be appealing to that whole "US NERDS" demographic.

#31 Edited by joshwent (2353 posts) -

Damn. I heard the news about this Telltale game, got incredibly excited, but just had my bubble burst knowing that it's in the HBO show's interpreted universe. I'm passionate about the SoIAF series, and that show's let me down in tons of ways that I won't bore people with here. But man, my excitement's been tempered to say the least.

I still have some faith in Telltale, and maybe they won't have to pander like the show constantly seems to think it does. As long as there's no, "Hold RT to boobs", it should at least be pretty good.

#32 Edited by Yummylee (22574 posts) -

@joshwent: They've said that it's supposed to be set within the book universe rather than the TV show EDIT: they mentioned it during the VGX interview. Strange why they'd then name it after the TV show adaption then, but I guess technically one of the books is still called Game of Thrones.

#33 Posted by joshwent (2353 posts) -

@yummylee: I wish you were right, but this tweet seems to say otherwise.

It's TRUE! We're working with @HBO to create an all-new episodic game series based on GAME OF THRONES in 2014! #VGX pic.twitter.com/d5GkhS2MOw

Doesn't mean it can't be great (I did really enjoy the first season of the show), just hope Telltale can set their own tone aside from the ultraviolence and random sex/nudity that people unfortunately seem to expect now.

#34 Edited by Yummylee (22574 posts) -

@joshwent: Huh, I coulda sworn they said it was based on the books. I must have misheard =S Oh well, that's a little strange considering they were adamant to point out TWD is set within the comic book universe rather than the TV show up to its release.

I wonder why they would choose the TV show then, or what would even separate the two anyway. Actor/actress performances from the show, if not likeness' at the very least? I do hope that whatever the story is it won't be another retelling of anything that has been (or will be) shown on the show, because it'll only make the entire thing seem kinda pointless.

#35 Posted by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

@yummylee: The naming is, I'm guessing, because "Game of Thrones" is the more widely acknowledged brand at this point. It is also, just in my opinion, a waaaaay better title than "A Song of Ice and Fire." I don't know that I'd take it as a indication of anything else--yet, anyway.

#36 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

@yummylee: The naming is, I'm guessing, because "Game of Thrones" is the more widely acknowledged brand at this point. It is also, just in my opinion, a waaaaay better title than "A Song of Ice and Fire." I don't know that I'd take it as a indication of anything else--yet, anyway.

Correct. Brandwise, Game of Thrones means way more than Westeros or A Song of Ice and Fire to most people. So of course that's what they'll call the game.

Anyway, this has the potential to be great if they focus on the right elements (as someone above said, more of the intriguing, less of the fighting). I have lots of faith in Telltale having just picked up The Wolf Among Us in the recent Steam sale, & obviously after The Walking Dead was one of the most enjoyable video game experiences of this gen.

#37 Edited by Jacktrote (58 posts) -

I heard the music, saw the crow and got excited for a new Game of Thrones game.

I then saw the Telltale logo and realized I will be clicking on cartoonish surfaces throughout this "game" if I were to buy it, and my excitement went away.

#38 Posted by benpicko (2006 posts) -

How many games now then?