#1 Edited by AssInAss (2400 posts) -

A quote from a NeoGAF user made me think that the F2P system in this game seems quite clever actually:

"Due to the games matchmaking, it's very much, Pay 2 Lose (IE, Pay money, upgrade, now you are playing against people who have played longer than you. Whoops!). In this instance though. I've won the last 5 games I've played, so I'm ready to match up, and open up the strategy now that I get how the combat works."

Link

I wonder if other F2P strategy RPGs could do this?

#2 Posted by ShadowMarth (64 posts) -

It's absolutely true, which is why the Eternal Boost is the only thing anyone should considering buying. It just makes you progress faster, without immediately launching you up the ladder. Also it's eternal. But with Rank 2 having just been released, the need for renown just skyrocketed.

#3 Edited by handlas (2546 posts) -

Maybe so but you can just make your guys stronger than your enemy and win with ease.

I was 5 wins 1 loss. My only loss was my first match. I hadn't really started leveling up my guys so I guess I was playing people with characters that were balanced with my own. I decided to level up a couple of my characters and then got matched up with a guy that had obviously leveled up one of his guy's a lot (perhaps paid to do so). He had fancy clothes and stuff. That character walks up to two of my guys...one swipe... both guys die in one hit (full armor and health). I was done with that game at that point. Nothing was fair or strategic about it. I have to whittle away at their armor and health and he just one swipe kills 2 of my guys? It generally takes me 3-4 turns to take out one guy.

No thanks game. Deleted. I love the art style but that won't make it enjoyable for long.

#4 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

Interesting.

I really want the single player version, not desire to play this kind of game multi though, especially with the f2p trappings.

#5 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

The game looked horribly boring in the QL and that's coming from a fan of TBS. Also, if people don't actually gain from paying then what's the motivation to do so, doesn't seem very clever from a business POV,

#6 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

i mean- the game is essentially a combat/multiplayer beta with a tipjar. i can't get into f2p games, so i'm not likely to spend any money there. but i'm absolutely sold on the game, and i'll be day 1 buying as soon as it's available. so i guess it's successful in that regard.

#7 Edited by AssInAss (2400 posts) -

The game looked horribly boring in the QL and that's coming from a fan of TBS. Also, if people don't actually gain from paying then what's the motivation to do so, doesn't seem very clever from a business POV,

Don't people usually use money in f2p games to just get superficial changes like customisation stuff rather than advantages in the actual gameplay? Hats and all that. More people would be pissed off if paying players were given clear advantages over non-paying players.

#8 Posted by MikeJFlick (424 posts) -

That sounds like a great thing to have written on your FAQ to excuse your payment model, but I'm extremely skeptical, either way I'll skip this this game, I like my tactics in single-player formats, I'll way for the SP release.

#9 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

The only reason to upgrade characters is to add variety and complexity. Classy.

It's a shame the Quick Look gives the impression of a slow grind of dice rolls.

#10 Edited by Ariketh (606 posts) -

The Quick Look of this game wasn't the best, but props to Patrick for trying and showing people that this game exists.

#11 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

I thoroughly enjoy this game.

I just needed to throw that out there.

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14318 posts) -

I have avoided it. I paid for this game to be a single player strategy rpg and have zero interest in a F2P game as I despise F2P games. So far though I have heard nothing but bad things about the gameplay of this so I hope the single player doesn't suffer the same fate.