60fps on both PS4/PSVita

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Anyone who played the original Binding of Isaac will remember that it wasn't the best in terms of performance. Thankfully, the developer working with Edmund McMillen for the The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth just confirmed that both console ports of the game (PS4, PSVita) will be running at a constant 60fps. He also went on to talk about the controls for each console port (which are fully configurable), and the customization of "seeds" in the game. You can read the whole blog post here.

As someone who played a whole lot of the original game at about 15fps, this is great news. I was already quite excited about getting my hands on this game, and now I can see myself becoming very addicted to the PSVita version. Anyone else looking forward to picking it up?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

More so when Binding of Patrick was happening. I'll still buy it, but not counting down days anymore (not that I still know the release date...)

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Phoenix778m

Yup I'm psyched for this release. They should be dropping a trailer soon. He released info every monday. It's looking super good.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very much, the framerate is the reason I've never actually completed it, as I didn't feel like building some monstrous PC, just to play it at a stable framerate. Especially with the announcement of Rebirth.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it. I loved it on PC and I can't wait to play it on PS4/Vita at a smooth frame rate that isn't haemorrhaged by the limitations of flash.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait! Just unlocked Platinum God in WOTL Isaac last week and looking forward to doing it again in Rebirth.

shishkebab09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Oh, it's LOCKED at 60, alright...

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/522904723876499456

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Seed talk is interesting.

I have a modest laptop and thought it felt ok on there. I honestly didn't know it ran poorly for so many people.

mrnuknuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko: i am not as beefcake as you, but did put 400 hours into it (heh - a good chunk was probably paused here and there though) and unlocked a lot of stuff. Really stoked to play this! This means it will not require xpadder or anything either.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

You know the state of affairs for the video game industry is bad when saying a game like the remake of Binding of Isaac (a fairly simplistic game, graphically speaking) announces that it will be 60 fps and that is meaningful to it's audience.

It's not a game that should have that problem.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By planetfunksquad

@cornbredx: I think it's only relevant because the original was so technically poor though.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: The first game ran poorly because it was programmed in flash, which was a bad engine for it to ever be programmed in. It has a similar problem to the original Megaman games and NES games where the more sprites end up on screen, the slower the game runs. This is why is' meaningful to the audience. It says nothing about the industry, just the game.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't aware that it ran so poorly before, I guess indie games get a free pass on technical prowess nowadays. Nevertheless, I'll be playing it when it hits Playstation Plus.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@cornbredx: The first game ran poorly because it was programmed in flash, which was a bad engine for it to ever be programmed in. It has a similar problem to the original Megaman games and NES games where the more sprites end up on screen, the slower the game runs. This is why is' meaningful to the audience. It says nothing about the industry, just the game.

I never played it but hearing that it had performance issues seems really funny considering how horrendously ugly that game was. Honestly I think Binding of Isaac is one of the worst looking "indie" games I have ever seen. Meatboy had charm to it but Isaac was just awful top to bottom.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@jesus_phish: @planetfunksquad: I am aware of both of these.

@jesus_phish: It says everything about the industry.

There's no need to become defensive for the game and it's developer, it's still a fine game (and developer), but it's a game people paid for. Even when we like something (more so actually) we can still take people to task for the quality of their work. I am also aware of why it was made in flash and why it was released in that state. The fact that it was popular is why they're remaking the game.

There's no excuse for a game running poorly regardless. "It's just how the industry is now" isn't an excuse. "It was programmed in a bad engine" isn't an excuse. At the end of the day people pay money for it.

Citing a console to belay a video game on PC's issues is an apples to orange comparison. Any computer should run a game like Binding of Isaac with no issues.

Anyway, we are getting off topic so I wont be continuing further. There's no point circle jerking on this railroad. =)

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sanity

I picked it up despite only putting 10 or so hours into the first one, i think i have spent more time watching people play it at this point then playing it myself.... Really want to love the game but i just cant get good at it, but im going to try again and see if i can get decent this time around.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: The game works fine. It has a little bit of slow down if there's too many sprites on the screen at the same time. The same way something like CoD might have a bit of slow down when there's a lot of explosions and effects going off. It's still a perfectly playable game.

Who said anything about it just being how the industry is? I certainly didn't. And I'm not excusing it based on it's engine. I'm just telling you the reason it runs badly (sporadically) is because of the limitations of the flash engine. People think that because they've a $1000 computer which can run Battlefield 4 on full specs that they should have no problem running a flash game that's been pushed past the limits of the flash engine itself. Well you can't. You can throw all the memory you want at a computer running a flash game but the engine has its limits.

Hence why they decided it was due an update with a new engine that won't have those limitations.

@humanity: Saying it's one of the worst is just a matter of taste though. The sprites are all really sharp looking, nicely detailed and well animated. You might not like how they look aesthetically but it's not a terrible looking game. Something like that game Minotaur that Dan played on UPF is a terrible looking game. Binding of Isaac is a good looking game that you just don't like the art style of.