I just learned about this and I am interested. However, does anyone know if Arena and Daggerfall have been optimized to run on Windows 7 or 8? Or do you need DOS Box?
I'm surprised Bethesda didn't, at the very least, make the earlier games compatible with modern windows if your spending 80 dollars for this anthology. Thanks for the info. Still a cool package though as Elder Scrolls is one of my favorite series.
Unless you are really into those types of PC games, the early Elder Scrolls games are not worth much beyond simply seeing how the series began. Daggerfall is massive and probably isn't worth playing all the way through. It's also fairly hard to play unless you have some sort of a guide helping you out if I recall correctly. Although it's probably worth checking out those games just to see how far everything has come.
I am also they didn't make it more optimized, especially you can legally download those games for free (or at least you could at one point).
Doesn't really answer your question but it looks that an answer has already been given and I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
@patman99: I actually have a boxed copy of Daggerfall that I purchased when it was released. I remember getting pretty far at the time but I was pretty young than. I've never played Arena though and never tried fighting with Dos box to play it.
I'll still probably pick this up though because of my love for the series. Would have been nice to see a little bit of care put into the two earlier games though.
AH, found it:
- Arena: The Anthology features the original version of Arena and will launch within a DOS emulator.
- Daggerfall: The ancient golem Numidium, a powerful weapon once used to unify Tamriel has once again been unearthed. The Anthology features the original version of Daggerfall and will launch within a DOS emulator.
- Morrowind: To fulfill an ancient prophecy, the Emperor sends you, to the island of Vvardenfell to rid the land of Morrowind of a dark curse. Also includes: Tribunal and Bloodmoon add-ons, plus The Elder Scrolls Construction Set.
- Oblivion: With the Empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion open and demons march upon the land. In the shadow of evil, a hero will rise from the ashes of a fallen Empire. Also includes: Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles expansions.
- Skyrim: Dragons, long lost to the passages of the Elder Scrolls, have returned to Tamriel. Also includes: Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn add-ons.