Tom McShea's review is sure garnering a lot of hate.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ben_H

What game is this for? Also, yeah, people need to chill out. It's just a review, he isn't insulting your mom and kicking your dog. This happens far too often when highly anticipated games come out.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@ben_h said:

What game is this for? Also, yeah, people need to chill out. It's just a review, he isn't insulting your mom and kicking your dog.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's The Last of Us review?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

McShea should be hated on for when Ryan showed up and destroyed them in that weird Gamespot video podcast crap; who gives a shit about his review.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I don't know what game you're talking about, and yet I'm not surprised.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

*shrug* the man has very specific tastes. I disagree with half of what he says, and this just happens to likely be another one of those cases (of course, I haven't played the game yet so who knows?)

I'm happy to take the shitloads of 10/10s for their value rather than the one or two <9 scores currently on Metacritic.

@ben_h said:

What game is this for? Also, yeah, people need to chill out. It's just a review, he isn't insulting your mom and kicking your dog.

The Last of Us

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shame. His criticisms seem pretty well grounded.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi
johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By johncallahan

I'm going to assume you're talking about Last of Us, but in the future, you may be wise to name the game you're referring to, especially if you're not posting it in the actual games forums.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Video game reviews are serious business.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume you mean his Last of Us review (link)

I wouldn't say he's experience undue backlash, I think everyone who comes out against this game will get an earful from the internet. Check the Polygon 7.5 review. People want to like this game so badly I think its going to get waaay over-praised. I rarely pre-order games I've had a year old pre-order. In my mind it critic proof, I will play it no matter what. At this point it doesn't matter what anyone says, I'll make up my mind when I get my copy next week.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Where are the rest of the posts in this thread? It says 11 on the forum page, but I only see the first two.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Do we need a thread about this? The internet will be the internet. Who cares?

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By StealthRaptor
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less than Phil Koller over at Polygon

Yeah, it is dumb though. Everyone else gave this game, I have not played yet, a perfect score and you said it was merely "great". How dare you. Wait until it comes out and those same kiddies will have hyped up this "perfect" game so much that they can be little else but disappointed.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UncleDisco

@ben_h: Pretty sure he means The Last of Us. Looking at the comments make me glad I don't really come to gamespot anymore. Say what you will about the Giant Bomb community, but god damn it, if we aren't a hell of a lot better than the gamespot community. I think we can all pad ourselves on the shoulder.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By HarlechQuinn
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn

@ben_h: I'm guessing this should have been attached to The Last of Us board. (EDIT: In my defense, the boards were being glitchy on my iPad and you were the only reply I saw in this thread when I ended up being the eighty-ninth person to inform you of this.)

I'm sure you're right and this is the Internet being the Internet and overreacting as per usual, but no lie, I take serious issue with you saying Tom McShea is "talented" and "does good work." How anyone could say that after that MoH: Warfighter bullshit is beyond me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You have to remember that the Gamespot audience is, to an extent, the lowest-common denominator of younger teens who have just discovered internet comments. While I don't necessarily think Tom McShea is either a good writer or a reviewer I agree with, he is most certainly entitled to his (occasionally bizarre) opinions and almost no one in that comments section has played the game yet.

On the plus side, this will result in a really good episode of Feedbackula.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

8.0 is less than 8.8, they have reason to be furious...

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't this the guy that got all the hate for giving Skyward Sword a 7.5? I think he couldn't figure out how some of the motion controls worked. Man, this guy knows controversy.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By churrific

You have to remember that the Gamespot audience is, to an extent, the lowest-common denominator of younger teens who have just discovered internet comments. While I don't necessarily think Tom McShea is either a good writer or a reviewer I agree with, he is most certainly entitled to his opinions and almost no one in that comments section has played the game yet.

On the plus side, this will result in a really good episode of Feedbackula.

Lol Feedbackula. I can't wait.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No surprise there. Our own Jefferson "Big J Gerst" Gerstmann is still despised by a small group of people that haven't gotten over his 8.8 Twilight Princess review.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fanboys will be fanboys. Polygon gave it like a seven, wonder how much hate they are getting.

Just checked and... A LOT.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ben_H

@ben_h:

The Last of Us. Sorry, forgot to mention that part, haha.

Yeah that is what I figured.

But none the less, people need to stop taking reviews personally. A dude like the game slightly less than everyone else. Big deal.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Jayzilla

@leftie68 said:

Isn't this the guy that got all the hate for giving Skyward Sword a 7.5? I think he couldn't figure out how some of the motion controls worked. Man, this guy knows controversy.

Didn't Tricky hand Skyward Sword a 3 star review? I seem to remember a lot of duders on here reacting like a bunch of children over that. I like McShea a lot. He may say stupid stuff but he is HONEST, and I value honesty over towing corporate lines.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@iamjohn:

I'll agree with the MoH: Warfighter incident. He handled that pretty poorly. I will stand by his writing, however. I may not agree with everything he says, but I still think he has interesting articles.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge:

I've heard this before. Was it hate for being too low? I thought most people didn't hold that game in very high regard.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King

@jayzilla said:

@leftie68 said:

Didn't Tricky hand Skyward Sword a 3 star review?

You mean Patrick?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EuanDewar

I really dont like his face

like ive never read anything he's written or that but i just really dont like his face

not really on topic but its fuckin bugging me

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

No surprise there. Our own Jefferson "Big J Gerst" Gerstmann is still despised by a small group of people that haven't gotten over his 8.8 Twilight Princess review.

That was a disgrace and he should be fired.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's the A Clockwork Orange of game reviews.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zenmastah

I have a hard time accepting that Jeff even reviewed a Zelda game tbh.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope you sent him a nice comment in the comments section of his review as well.
But I agree, all this hate for no reason is just stupid.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SomeJerk

For you, me and other intelligent beings worthy of their place on the planet, 3/5, 5/10, 50/100 are equal scores detonating a perfect average rating, and 8/10 is a really good perfectly respectable score.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

Because it's GameSpot. As usual, people love to blow things out of proportion. As has already been mentioned, remember 8.8...

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlashDance

War never changes.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By InternetDotCom

BREAKING SHOCKING NEWS: The internet over reacts to basically anything including review scores.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I kind of understand the "I love this game, gotta support the team" mentality of some people, but he could of given this game a 1 out of 10 and nobody has any business arguing it. SINCE IT DOESN'T COME OUT UNTIL NEXT WEEK.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Reviews are weird in that they operate with an underlying assumption that they declare a concrete, unchangeable-in-the-minds-of-the-audience, impression of a game to an assumed audience that isn't smart enough to read past the score, look at multiple reviews, and be critical at any point. How can I tell? How a game gets represented to others as it implicates your impression (however justified), is at the core of being angry at something like a review. Otherwise it would matter little to you that someone else across the internet decided to give a game a slightly less score.

Conversely there also exists a large contingent of people that understand some of the above but themselves are still not actually critical and don't understand how to interpret reviews either and so take up the equal but opposite position in being a hater. There is an interesting social meta-game going on where people participate in assuming the other and their identities through their own position and so argue accordingly. Match actual, agitated, poorly written, words from people in those comments sections to react to, and lo, you have a shit storm. At least this is the basics of what I've been piecing together in my head full of social science theory for the past year or so. Just a though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I have a hard time accepting that Jeff even reviewed a Zelda game tbh.

Jeff used to like Zelda games. I know it's crazy to think about, but it's true.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People screaming like children over a worthless review for an overhyped game by an overrated studio that they haven't played yet? People still do this? People are still surprised by this? How many times does this have to happen before people just shrug at the reactions of people.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By joshwent

From Patrick's review, it seemed like because of some problems he had with the late game fights it would have been a 9 out of 10, if he were using that scale. When there's only five to choose from though, the game bumped up to 5 out of 5.

People all too easily mistake a full score (10/10 or whatever) to mean, "This game is utterly, objectively flawless!". When in actuality, it really just means that it effectively accomplished its goals. Those goals, however, may not appeal to everyone.

Also, review hate directed at an individual is pretty sad. Especially for a game that NO ONE HAS ACTUALLY PLAYED YET!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Snail

Tom McShea wrote a review no one except him can relate to, and is garnering an immense amount of hatred throughout the internet for it?

GET OUT.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KentonClay

Nobody's posted this yet?

Loading Video...