#1 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

So, I had a long time away from games. Never really got in to the Zelda series when I was a kid, and this game seems to have been the most universally liked since I started playing again so this seems like a good one to start with from a quality standpoint. I'm interested and would like to check it out, but since it's a direct sequel, I'm a little concerned about whether or not it'll all make sense without having played Link to the Past. Do I need to have played the first to enjoy/make sense of the sequel?

#2 Posted by CrazyBagMan (836 posts) -

I never beat LTTP, only played it a couple hours in a while back. But it seems like this game would be excellent for a newcomer to the series. As far as I'm aware despite there technically being a Zelda timeline, canon or not it's basically nonsense.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (23927 posts) -

If you haven't played A Link to the Past, there will certainly be a lot of references that will pass you by, but the game itself isn't structured in a way that would prevent you from enjoying it simply because you didn't play the SNES game.

#4 Edited by TruthTellah (8552 posts) -

@cathryn: Well, from what I've heard, the "direct sequel" part of it is less of a factor than it may seem. While it may appeal to series veterans and have a lot of references and familiar elements for those who played the original game that it draws inspiration from, it apparently also has a nice learning curve for introducing new people to the mix. The game was originally going to be its own thing, but they decided connecting it to A Link to the Past would make some of the changes more acceptable for series fans. From all I keep hearing, you should be able to enjoy it whether you have played the series much or not. Maybe you'll get more little references and such if you played the other games, but this is its own enclosed adventure.

So, I think you'll probably be fine. Zelda games are always good about easing you into it.

#5 Posted by afabs515 (1012 posts) -

It makes a bunch of references to Link to the Past, but nothing you really need to know. It's more for nostalgia than anything. The gameplay is solid and dungeon design seems pretty good from what I've played so far (I just got to the Dark World, which they call Lorule in this one). Definitely a fine entry point for a newcomer.

#6 Edited by Cathryn (545 posts) -

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help, guys. Will be out shopping on Sunday and will probably pick it up.

#7 Edited by TruthTellah (8552 posts) -

@cathryn: Glad you could get the assistance you needed. Have fun with it! :)

#8 Posted by GnuStylo (23 posts) -

As an individual looking to get into Zelda as well this was quite helpful.

Question though to all, if there was one Zelda game that you would recommend to someone like me who wants to get into the series which would it be?

#9 Posted by alanm26v5 (437 posts) -

@gnustylo said:

Question though to all, if there was one Zelda game that you would recommend to someone like me who wants to get into the series which would it be?

Probably the original Link to the Past is the best starting point. For 3d ones, maybe the 3ds remake of Ocarina of Time, though I haven't played it. Wind Waker references it somewhat, but not in any essential way. I've played most of the games, and have enjoyed them all to varying degrees, but some like Majora's Mask, the DS games, or Skyward Sword, probably aren't as great for someone not already a Zelda fan.

#10 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@gnustylo said:

Ocarina of Time is the best place to start, played A Link to the Past for the first time last month and while a fantastic game I think it would be a bad first Zelda game, but rather should be returned to and appreciated once the series is understood.

#11 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

The game was originally going to be called "The New Legend of Zelda", that should give you some indication of what they were trying to do with the game. There is quite a lot of references to Link to the Past and I'd absolutely recommend playing that first if you can, but it's definitely not required.

#12 Edited by BasketSnake (1164 posts) -

I just clicked on the triforce symbol on the minimap and noticed how you can switch between the light and dark world and see the rifts / entrances. Anyone else miss that or do they tell you during the game? You can also double tap the minimap.

#13 Posted by csl316 (8141 posts) -

Game Informer did a Super Replay on Link to the Past if you have five hours to kill. I never finished it so that was handy (just search for it on Youtube).

#14 Posted by Juzie (167 posts) -

@gnustylo said:

Ocarina of Time is the best place to start, played A Link to the Past for the first time last month and while a fantastic game I think it would be a bad first Zelda game, but rather should be returned to and appreciated once the series is understood.

I second this, but if you do start with ALBW you will still really enjoy it I think. But OoT is the starting point I recommend to everyone.

#15 Posted by makari (594 posts) -

A Link Between Worlds feels like the Resident Evil 4 of Zelda games. Mechanically it is superior to pretty much every traditional Zelda game before it and retains the overall high quality. I have a feeling that if you start with A Link Between Worlds some of the older games may be more difficult to return to, but considering A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game in its own right there probably isn't too much wrong with that.