What's the deal with Majora's Mask?

• 68 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll What's the deal with Majora's Mask? (353 votes)

Best Zelda 24%
Good Zelda 48%
Bad Zelda 7%
Worst Zelda 3%
results 17%

A lot of people hate it while others think it's the best in the franchise. It seems to be the most divisive Zelda. What's the deal?

• 
ayoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ayoh

[deleted]

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By Oni

Tonally and thematically it's easily the best and most interesting, and as a whole it's right up there. I'd probably put it just below OoT, which is just timeless and classic in every way. N64 Zeldas are best Zeldas. Once you figure out the Song of Slow Time, the time limit isn't that big a deal anymore either. I don't love that part of it, but it's not unmanageable. Not nearly the same level of stress as, say, Dead Rising, because if you screw something up you can always try again thanks to the Groundhog Day nature of it.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@shikon said:

i didn't like it at all because of the time thing. it screwed with the way i like to play games.

Oh, indeed.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It would have been great if not for the time mechanic.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

it is not the worst Zelda because the worst is Wind Waker

although Majora's Mask might be the worst

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I love Majora's mask, it's a great, weird game, and i really enjoy the time restriction and the journal stuff.

But it most certainly is not the best Zelda game. And its is far from the worst one to.

perethorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Better than Ocarina of Time.

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By phuzzybunny

I'd call it a fair game. Not great, not bad, not good, but fair.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Its good but come on, it isn't OoT or LttP. Let's move on people.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best 3d Zelda . Dark and with strong characters.

It's also the most different 3d Zelda so I understand some people who are looking for the same old thing may not like it

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I ended up playing it before I ever tried OoT out, so it blew my mind in several of ways. I actually ended up embracing how twisted the time mechanic was and there were a lot of memorable separate threads of storylines that I still think hold up by today's standards. One that I remember particularly well is the Anju and Kafei quest, which basically takes the span of the entire three days to be completed and tells a captivating love story.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Gah, why would you put airships option in a poll? If people really are that interested in learning the results, they can just open the thread in an incognito window.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

It's a good Zelda game but I wouldn't say it's the best.

sprode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second-best Zelda

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like how it plays, but it's interesting. I'll say good even though I don't like it.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By The_Nubster

It's my favourite Zelda game. There isn't a happy ending to it; it's either you help all of the townspeople and leave them to die by the moon, or leave them to wallow in their sadness and save them from certain death. Everyone you meet will either forget you or die, and all you can do is ease their pain.

The themes of it are very important to me; it was the second Zelda game I ever played with my uncle, who passed unexpectedly because of cancer. They said he had one year and he didn't even make it three months, so I suppose that makes it stick out to me. The whole game has an air of beautiful melancholy and I really appreciate that; it's a tone that the series has never come back to, but I'm very glad they even visited it. it's probably Nintendo's single most poignant, touching game.

EDIT: I feel that I should mention that Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda and, while it's certainly grander in scope and scale than Majora's Mask, it ultimately felt empty. It was a silly battle of Good vs. Evil without much else going on, besides the grandeur of it being the first 3D Zelda game. it's wholly formulaic and unoriginal, though not to its detriment. It had fantastic dungeon designs and memorable boss encounters, and it helped popularize lock-on targeting in 3D games, but it's a roller-coaster compared to Majora's Mask more muted, personal story. Majora's Mask is, at times, uncomfortable and ugly with its themes and messages, but it helps it stand out when compared to OoT's "chosen one fulfills prophecy" story.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Corevi

It's better than Ocarina of Time but that's not saying much since OoT is a janky archaic mess and Majora's Mask is one as well but atleast has some interesting ideas and some legitimately disturbing moments.

Wind Waker is best Zelda.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You're out of your goddamn mind.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Corevi
@rvone said:

You're out of your goddamn mind.

I absolutely adore the art style, most of the items were really unique, the twist with Hyrule was really cool and Tetra>Zelda.

The only part of it I didn't like was the Triforce hunt with the crane. I never resented a dungeon unlike every other Zelda game.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I agree with this, if only because it's the only 3d Zelda I've actually completed.

I will say though, of the Zelda games I've only tried, Majora's Mask was the most thematically striking to me, and left the biggest impression. The time mechanic also always fascinated me, though I never got deep enough into it to speak to how well it's executed.