• 82 results
#1 Edited by Tom_omb (429 posts) -

Aonuma says “No one explicitly said that that was Link”. Could be be messing with our heads? Is this character female? Zelda? Someone new? (source)

I personally hope this is Link. Gender swapping a character isn't some grand statement. If Nintendo wanted to make a new kickass female heroine, why not create a new character and build an IP around her rather then superficially alter what exists?

Either way this is my number 1 most anticipated game right now. Looks great so far and I hope we don't have to wait too long to see more.

#2 Posted by Steadying (1481 posts) -

it's Link

#3 Posted by RioStarwind (578 posts) -

It's possible they are going all in on letting the player create a character thus that isn't technically Link.

#4 Posted by MindBullet (177 posts) -

Link has always been supposed to be a stand-in for the player, so if they want to give you the chance to change Link's appearance or gender I'd be all for it.

#5 Edited by Uppercaseccc (117 posts) -

I dont know man that blue shirt makes me 100% thinks this is not link.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (12450 posts) -

Link has always been supposed to be a stand-in for the player, so if they want to give you the chance to change Link's appearance or gender I'd be all for it.

So you can finally play as a male protagonist now?

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Why are people assuming that this character is female? The pretty face?

It's Link.

Link has worn clothes other than the traditional green tunic and cap before (See: The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword).

The blue shirt actually looks similar to the thing he wears at the start of Wind Waker.

#8 Posted by fleabeard (210 posts) -

Not left handed. :(

#9 Edited by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -

#10 Posted by MindBullet (177 posts) -

@mindbullet said:

So you can finally play as a male protagonist now?

Yeah, it's about time.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

It looks like Link to me. The blue shirt evokes Wind Waker. The outfit is something I can see Link wearing before he gets his traditional green tunic.

I doubt it's Zelda. Her outfit would likely contain more of your standard Hylian, royal, triforcey imagery. This looks like something a regular Joe would wear. Like Link.

#12 Posted by CaLe (4058 posts) -

Looks like a lovely boy to me. Girls usually have loose flesh mounds on their chest and this young man doesn't appear to have them.

#13 Posted by Karkarov (3293 posts) -

For someone everyone says isn't Link they sure look a helluva lot like Link.

Meanwhile WindWaker? Link has worn more than just green since day one. The very original Legend of Zelda had Link in both a Greyish tunic and a Red one by the time the game was over. A Link to the Past had the same thing. Him not always being in Green was a thing for well.... ever. Though admittedly a few games have him only in the green for whatever reason.

#14 Posted by spraynardtatum (3739 posts) -

@cale said:

Looks like a lovely boy to me. Girls usually have loose flesh mounds on their chest and this young man doesn't appear to have them.

mmmmmmm loose flesh mounds

#15 Edited by Rejizzle (375 posts) -

It isn't Link. The character's name is Zelda because the player wanted to jump to the second quest right away.

#16 Posted by HeyGuys (557 posts) -

That's Tink.

#17 Edited by Evilsbane (4750 posts) -

I think not only would Link being a female be pretty different and cool, it would make sense with how Link is always just some random kid in time not some immortal character who is always the same person.

But I don't think this is Zelda or a Female Link, Just Link.

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6012 posts) -

That's definitely link.

I also don't think that's a female. Although I think that'd be cool to make link a female this time around.

#19 Edited by Ezekiel (552 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

I personally hope this is Link. Gender swapping a character isn't some grand statement. If Nintendo wanted to make a new kickass female heroine, why not create a new character and build an IP around her rather then superficially alter what exists?

Because it's called "The Legend of Zelda", so why not make it about you?

Apparently, Link pulls bow strings with his left hand in all the games and the only character who pulls with their right hand is Zelda. In the video, the character pulls with her right hand. Like Zelda, she has a bow but no sword. The cloak and the way the tight pants go against the short tunic looks girly to me.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@ezekiel: The lack of a sword and analysis of handedness doesn't prove it's Zelda. It's s teaser where they show one weapon, and Link has been right-handed before.

#21 Posted by joshwent (2353 posts) -

What if Zelda was a girl?!

#22 Posted by Ezekiel (552 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@ezekiel: The lack of a sword and analysis of handedness doesn't prove it's Zelda. It's s teaser where they show one weapon, and Link has been right-handed before.

It seems odd to introduce Link without a sword and shield after so many titles. I believe the only game in which Link pulls with his right hand is Twilight Princess, and that was because they mirrored the game.

#23 Edited by Strangestories (119 posts) -

Women can be flat-chested. Also, women who do strenuous things like jumping around and fighting don't want them moving around too much hence sports bras. I don't think you people know much about boobs.

#24 Edited by gorkamorkaorka (446 posts) -

For God's sake, it's Link.

#25 Posted by The_Ruiner (1140 posts) -
#26 Edited by ElixirBronze (447 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Why are people assuming that this character is female? The pretty face?

It's Link.

@uppercaseccc said:

Link has worn clothes other than the traditional green tunic and cap before (See: The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword).

The blue shirt actually looks similar to the thing he wears at the start of Wind Waker.

Wait, who's assuming anything? Why do you assume that's Link?

At least in Skyward sword and TP Link only wore different clothes casually in the beginning, not while fighting huge monsters. Only played about halfway of WW but pretty sure the same could be said there.

I guess this game could involve the story of how the Hero's clothes came to be, but that would put this game even before skyward sword chronologically right?

#27 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (305 posts) -

Ugh I wish we could have some serious conversation about this. Even though you could always name the hero, it has always been Link.

Sure it could just be teasing of some sort, but since the protagonist has always been silent and in all other regards besides appearance in the series, gender neutral. Why couldn't it be a female? Would that matter to you? What if you were given a choice?

#28 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@ezekiel: Skyward Sword. Link was right-handed throughout. And again, it's a teaser, and Zelda games have always been more than just swords.

#29 Posted by TheBlue (440 posts) -

Honestly, before they showed the character from the front, I thought it was a girl. Also, this argument is ridiculous.

#30 Edited by Dixavd (1381 posts) -

If it's the main character then it is Link. Whatever name I give to the save file is the name of the main character. If I call him Zelda, then his name is Zelda; if I call him Link, then it is Link. The question is if that's the main character or not.

[Edit] Then again, what if that's Ganon? Dun, Dun Dun!

#31 Edited by Ezekiel (552 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@ezekiel: Skyward Sword. Link was right-handed throughout. And again, it's a teaser, and Zelda games have always been more than just swords.

I just looked at Skyward Sword. Link pulls with his left hand. I'm not saying the character is entirely right or left-handed.

Do we ever see a quiver on Link's back? That suggests the bow is a main weapon.

#32 Edited by Superkenon (1507 posts) -

I did think the character's face looked especially feminine when I saw the trailer, but I was still just taking it for granted that it's Link, since he has been kind of a pretty-boy in the past.

Aonuma's comment is pretty interesting, though. He could be troll-lolol-in', but does he normally operate that way?

This is a fun new conspiracy to play around with, so why not? The trailer certainly doesn't linger on the character, and it fades to white very quickly. The character is under a cloak for almost the entire video, and even after it does come off, you're mostly seeing backside. It's almost like it's intentionally ambiguous, or tease-y about what it's showing you... but why would they tease Link? They never do that. The usual grunts and "yeaahhhh" sound bites were conspicuously absent from the action too.

What they do focus on is the archery, however. Like @ezekiel said, this character is wielding the bow with their right hand Zelda-style, as opposed to the usual left-handed Link fashion. They also show off what could very well be this game's version of the Light Arrows, which have long been the princess' shtick. Also the only character really known for prominently wearing a hood is, again, Zelda.

And the more I look at that last bit, the more it does totally look like a girl. Could be wishful thinking on my part, that Nintendo's really mixing it up here, but hey. Speculation.

#33 Edited by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

@superkenon: Actually, the first thought that popped into my head at seeing that exact shot was the conspiracy that it's actually Zelda. The appearance and the attire are, at least, not Link. At least not the Link depicted in the past titles. It would also just be awesome to have a Zelda game with a female protagonist, let alone a Zelda game starring Zelda that wasn't complete shite that everyone wants to forget and has.

Zelda has already been depicted looking and dressing in a masculine fashion before (also wearing blue), and she was able to hide the chest then too..

Either way, I don't care. The style looks gorgeous and so does the character, whatever gender they may be.

Also, the one line from Aonuma needs more context from both sides. We don't have the specific question asked and we have none of the trailing info besides the apparent smile.

#34 Edited by Superkenon (1507 posts) -

@andrewb: Yup. I'm pumped for this no matter what the answer to this character question is. I'll take Link as my main man any day, but an alternative would also be rad.

Either way, it's an interesting little wrinkle to a Zelda announcement.

EDIT:

@andrewb said: Also, the one line from Aonuma needs more context from both sides. We don't have the specific question asked and we have none of the trailing info besides the apparent smile.

True enough. For all we know, somebody asked if the monster was Link.

#35 Posted by Sanj (2547 posts) -

I'm super pumped for this game and if they wanna shake shit up, I'm down for that too.

#36 Posted by pinner458 (859 posts) -

I would anyway...

#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't think you people know much about boobs.

Men can have boobs, too. Now who looks stupid?

#38 Posted by Itwongo (1246 posts) -

Link has a really feminine face this time around. More so than usual.

#39 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

Maybe we'll actually get to see what makes Zelda so damn legendary in this one.

#40 Posted by geirr (2716 posts) -

It's Link!

#41 Posted by GunstarRed (5489 posts) -

Of course it is. They're more likely to give him a voice than change his gender.

#42 Edited by Xymox (2116 posts) -
@dixavd said:

Then again, what if that's Ganon? Dun, Dun Dun!

Well let me tell you about this sweet gamestop pre-order deal, order now and you'll get an exclusive blue shirted Link amiibo and Ganon figurine.

What if you scan a Zelda figurine and you play Zelda as Zelda?

#43 Edited by Strangestories (119 posts) -

@video_game_king: And not all women have boobs. Way to gloss over the point. Especially since I'm referring to the people who say shit like, "Well I don't SEE boobs so they're not a woman!"

#44 Posted by BradBrains (1184 posts) -

If you can play as a female in the new Zelda I will eat my hat. It's Nintendo . Its not gonna happen

#45 Edited by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

It's Ganon. In this new game Link and Ganon are brothers and they must cooperate to save Hyrule.

In other words, this game has online co-op.

It is also a cover based shooter, that is why they show him shooting arrow.

#46 Posted by Drebin_893 (2935 posts) -

It's Link. It's clearly Link.

#47 Posted by Sterling (2717 posts) -

When does this game come out, 2015?

#48 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -
#49 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#50 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

protip: if you say Link and the Zelda producer corrects you, then its probably not Link