The worst beginning to any game I have ever played

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Holy fucking shit

This beginning has angered me in an unreasonable way. You are going to drown me for what feels like 10 minutes? This actually feels like torture. I have no ties to this character, I don't give a shit about his story or what he is going through.

Then, after you inexplicably overpower the guard and drown him with one arm, you are left hobbling around at the slowest pace imaginable, breathing in a way that cuts me to my core.

How do you start a game like this? It is mind boggling that this was considered a good way to go. I don't mind slow starts, but this takes it to a whole new level. Torture the player before they even know what the hell is going on?!

CZYjoeDAVOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I liked it

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I liked it

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quarters

Ha...no. You need to play more games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I hate it when games do shit like that. Just leave you in first person, but take all control away from you for the character to have something bad happen to him that takes an agonizingly long time to happen.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The games beginning is terrible even story wise. I suppose they wanted the plot twist, if you can call it that, to be a shock to some? However if that's true it's completely ruined since it's given away in the intro. For a game that only has the story and visuals going for it the story sucks so much ass and is so cliche.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i liked it.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Zippedbinders

The entire game seems like it was written by the @GuyInYourMFA twitter account.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I liked it.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Sounds like my reaction to the first Gears of War.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zippedbinders: Pretty much the best twitter account to be following. That, and @DystopianYA.

Does the intro have any of those unfailable QTEs I've heard about in this game?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

Perhaps I just generally choice my games wisely?

Dr_Perscitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game's story seems kinda interesting, but the gameplay is such a drag. Hearing that the parts of the story that you want resolved don't actually get resolved is making me think that I'll stop at chapter 4.

You need to play Boiling Point.

I have... kinda. First game I played after upgrading my PC way back when. All I can remember are game breaking bugs.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

I haven't played The Order, but in terms of terrible openings SIREN: Blood Curse certainly comes to mind. Can't see fuck all and you're faced with a zombie guy with a gun right from the get-go.

Also, The Evil Within's opening is pretty poor for similar such reasons you listed for The Order.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You've obviously never played the beginning of Superman 64...The Order is about 10000000000000000000000 times better than that.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was OK.

But I was hoping that it was the actual beginning, and not the mid-point as it turned out to be. It kind of spelled out the entire plot for me right from the beginning since it started in media res. (Story spoilers)

victoriousfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fucking shit

This beginning has angered me in an unreasonable way. You are going to drown me for what feels like 10 minutes? This actually feels like torture. I have no ties to this character, I don't give a shit about his story or what he is going through.

Then, after you inexplicably overpower the guard and drown him with one arm, you are left hobbling around at the slowest pace imaginable, breathing in a way that cuts me to my core.

How do you start a game like this? It is mind boggling that this was considered a good way to go. I don't mind slow starts, but this takes it to a whole new level. Torture the player before they even know what the hell is going on?!

I played the first 15minutes of Killzone Shadowfall 2 weeks ago after buying it on sale for £14, uninstalled it after that intro... HOLY SHIT it WISHES it was as good as the opening of the Order (which is still bad)

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

Eh, maybe. I guess just off the top of my head, I think The Evil Within starts out infinitely worse. Heck, even going back a little further, though the little prologue thing is decent, I think the Museum level in Uncharted 2 is a completely crap first real level. However, I guess that goes against the spirit of "beginning" a little bit. To each his own, I guess.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

@supersambo said:

@quarters said:

Eh, maybe. I guess just off the top of my head, I think The Evil Within starts out infinitely worse. Heck, even going back a little further, though the little prologue thing is decent, I think the Museum level in Uncharted 2 is a completely crap first real level. However, I guess that goes against the spirit of "beginning" a little bit. To each his own, I guess.

I loved the beginning of The Evil Within! Then the village area came...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I normally go with whatever a game throws at me but the opening of The Order stuck me a pretty poorly done. The first hour or two REALLY dragged for me. The game felt needlessly slow, the forced walking, the empty environments, the useless objects to pick-up, the audio diaries that require you to pause.

It felt like the game was obnoxiously in love with itself. That I should spend my time marveling at its beauty.

Anyhow, that set me in a foul mood about the game but I got to enjoying it maybe a third of the way in. Really liked it after accepting what it was and was not.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@supersambo said:

Holy fucking shit

I played the first 15minutes of Killzone Shadowfall 2 weeks ago after buying it on sale for £14, uninstalled it after that intro... HOLY SHIT it WISHES it was as good as the opening of the Order (which is still bad)

Killzone Shadow Fall 2? Anyway, yes Shadow Fall generally is a pacing disaster. How can a shooter that pretty be so dull?

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Order was a terrible, terrible, terrible game that we should all forget about now that Bloodborne is out

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By porjos

I liked it.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

First of all you must not have played a lot of games. Second of all it is a very common "trick" to start a story in media res. It's been used in books and movies for many years long before The Order: 1886 was even an idea.

Also I liked the game, but it definitely has some flaws and some weird design decisions. It's very clear that RAD spend a lot of time on the visuals but the fact there is a ton of collectibles, I admit that they are super detailed and very nice looking collectibles, that add nothing to the story is probably what I found most puzzling. More specifically the fact that you can't put the collectibles down immediately but has to look at them for 4-5 seconds is just weird.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrfluke

i liked it.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man you really haven't played many games then.