• 56 results
#1 Edited by gike987 (1755 posts) -

EA gave everyone who owned Sims 2 on Origin an "Ultimate Collection" earlier this month. EA have now expanded the offer so that everyone can get the game. All you need to do is download Origin, log in, and go to Origin > Redeem Product Code. Type I-LOVE-THE-SIMS in the field and you should now own the game and all the expansions.

Sims 2 is one of my favorite games ever, so I'm downloading the game as I'm typing this. This opportunity may also be the only way to get it digitally if you don't already own it as it's no longer sold normally on Origin, so I would highly recommend everyone to download it if you got even the slightest interest in the game.

Edit:

Here are the the solutions for probably the two most common issues.

First, my post on how to change resolution: "http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Sims_2 This tells you how to make the game run at any resolution you want. The path you want to go to is \Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config"

Another issue that you are likely to have on a modern graphic card are black boxes under Sims. It's the shadows of the Sims that are causing this issue and they can be turned off in the same file you changed resolution in. Search (Ctrl+F) for "option shadows" and under high settings change "boolProp simShadows true" to false. This will turn of the shadows on Sims but lets you keep shadows on objects.

#2 Edited by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

What if I don't love The Sims, should I lie to EA? I don't think I have it in me.

I lied to EA and redeemed it. Now I want to torch cars and smoke cigarettes, thanks EA.

#3 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3393 posts) -

Sims 2...

Can you still trap people inside rooms with stoves and watch them panic as they set the rooms on fire?

#4 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2141 posts) -

Oh good something I won't play

[sneaks away]

[downloads]

[plays for the rest of the day]

#5 Posted by Rorie (2912 posts) -

It works!

Staff
#6 Posted by pinner458 (785 posts) -

Wasn't really interested till I saw it had all the expansions, thanks for the heads up.

#7 Posted by crazylittle (18 posts) -

You don't even have to run Origin to redeem the code. You can redeem it through the web store as well.

#8 Edited by nweasel (25 posts) -
#9 Posted by hustlerlt (330 posts) -

Wow, they are giving away all expansion packs as well! That's pretty damn cool. Every half a year I get into a weird Sims 2 wormhole, during which I only play Sims 2 for like three days straight and stop. This will come in handy.

#10 Posted by dOm_CaTz (224 posts) -

I hope this doesn't turn into their free game of the month.

#11 Posted by Ravelle (1271 posts) -

Installing now, farewell precious disk space.

#12 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

Never would have guessed that today would be the day I would download and install Origin. Looks like they have Peggle for free also.

Thanks for the heads up!

#13 Posted by PimblyCharles (1441 posts) -

Woah, thanks for letting us know! Now to try and recreate the disaster that unfolded during the last 24 hour charity stream where Alexis put the GB staff into The Sims 1.

#14 Posted by ThunderSlash (1730 posts) -

I wonder why it's a code and not part of their On The House program. Thanks for the heads up!

#15 Posted by slyspider (1233 posts) -
#16 Posted by darkjohnny47 (116 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up duder! My daughter will love it.

#17 Posted by CornBREDX (5301 posts) -

Cool thanks.

They also gave me Peggle for free.

It's funny, I don't have anything on Origin except games they gave me for free (and a couple MMOs I bought before origin was a thing EA was pushing- it apparently remembers them although one of them is no longer even online).

#18 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2156 posts) -
#19 Posted by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

Wow, every expansion as well? That's really, really cool.

#20 Posted by Relenus (23 posts) -

Cool, hopefully this won't be too hard to go back to after Sims 3. I remember original Sims being very hard to play after upgrading to Sims 2.

#21 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

I played the hell out of The Sims 2 back when it came out. I suspect I might end up doing the same now that I can get all of the expansions for free

#22 Posted by Corvak (1077 posts) -

@relenus: 2 is easier to go to because it was when they moved away from basic needs by largely automating the 'get ready for work' process to focus on more long term goals.

#23 Posted by gike987 (1755 posts) -
#24 Posted by DeadpanCakes (907 posts) -

Woah, thanks for the heads up! My brother's gonna be so happy about this, haha.

#25 Posted by AndrewB (7617 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

I played the hell out of The Sims 2 back when it came out. I suspect I might end up doing the same now that I can get all of the expansions for free

Yeah, my hangup with any Sims game is knowing how much more fleshed-out the game gets over time (and presumably a good portion of your real life paychecks). Given the choice to play The Sims 3 (I own the base game and two small expansions), The Sims 4 (a game I can imagine having just as much cut out of the first shipping, still $60 product as there will be new content), and The Sims 2 with all the content I missed... well, The Sims 3 did make the whole world more seamless, but the more fleshed-out Sims 2 still seems more appealing to me in getting back into Simming.

#26 Posted by Pete0r (83 posts) -

I am suprised they're giving this away before the release of the Sims 4, they could have used it as an apology giveaway when that turns into a Sim City style disaster.

Still it is nice to own again after giving my cds away years ago. I wonder if it still holds up after so long with Sims 3.

#27 Posted by TheRealMoot (382 posts) -

Thank you so much! I wanted to play Sims 2 again but didn't want to juggle a million disks and cd keys to get it up and running.

#28 Posted by Viqor (61 posts) -

@gike987: Wow, kudos for the hot tip. I played the shit out of the Sims 2, but never got into many of the expansions. I'm right With @andrewb that a fully expanded Sims makes the next base game feel very tiny by comparison.

#29 Edited by CorruptedEvil (3369 posts) -

RIP Everybody

#30 Posted by VibratingDonkey (877 posts) -

This makes up for The Sims 4 being such a bummer.

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

Starting to build up a collection on Origin, almost exclusively from the free stuff they gave me.

#32 Posted by HammondofTexas (708 posts) -
#33 Edited by Ruined_Fokkusu (16 posts) -

Thanks duder! Good on EA for trying to do something cool too.

#34 Posted by dagas (2837 posts) -

It's nice that they give out free games, but I already got Sims 3 as part of that hunblebundle deal a while ago.

#35 Posted by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

Man, just tried it... I don't think Sims 2 was made to have that much content going at once. That is certainly an experience. A long loading, feature info dumping, crashy experience.

Might have to get into the files and trim back some stuff.

#36 Edited by 49th (2758 posts) -

Time to try to remember my origin ID and password so I can never play this!

Seems like Peggle is also free.

#37 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (450 posts) -

@shagge said:

Man, just tried it... I don't think Sims 2 was made to have that much content going at once. That is certainly an experience. A long loading, feature info dumping, crashy experience.

Might have to get into the files and trim back some stuff.

Yeah I can't get past the initial loading screen-- it doesn't crash and the music still plays but it doesn't seem to load at all.

#38 Edited by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

@rockyraccoon37: Give it a while, it's a-loadin'. I thought the same thing at first.

Prepare yourself, though: There's another one equally as long after you pick a town.

#39 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Cool. After Alexis and Danny played some Sims on the charity stream I got an itch to play some too, but have no idea what happened to the copy I used to have of the first game went, so this is cool. I only ever played that first one back in the day.

#40 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (450 posts) -

@shagge: Ugh. I'll give it another go.

#41 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

I skipped The Sims 2 even though I loved the original because of the insane amount of money I needed to put down to get the full experience. I've been waiting patiently for an ultimate collection and now it's free!

This almost makes up for the atrocity that was SimCity and the potential atrocity that could be The Sims 4. EA did good this time, though. Awesome job!

#42 Edited by AngeTheDude (674 posts) -
#43 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

I can't seem to get it working. When I press "play" it says "warning you have limited disk space" when I have 1TB free. When I launch it anyway, it boots up at Sims Pets and Stuff. Gets to a menu that says Mansions and Stuff. Can't do anything at the menu other create neighborhood which has no button options in it. When I view a "Learn to Play" video, it crashes. Anyone else having this issue?

#44 Edited by MB (12418 posts) -

I'm going to pin this for a few days because hey, everyone likes free games. Even if they're on Origin.

EA is good about giving away free stuff on Origin. The other good thing about Origin is it isn't Uplay.

#45 Posted by newhaap (421 posts) -
#46 Edited by crithon (3262 posts) -

just reminded, I own a copy of it, and I have friends who own 17 or 20 copies of the game.

#47 Edited by yaobikuni (11 posts) -

@minipato:

Edit: Solved! I had to switch the system locale in order to get the game to work. Mine was in Japanese so I had to switch to English-US. The option can be found in Control Panel, then Clock, Language and region. Hope it works for you too.

<I'm having the same exact problem too! I just saw the Charity stream video and I got the urge to play it so bad. Any help would be greaty appreciated.

#48 Posted by Krevee (47 posts) -

Thanks for the post! Woot free games!

#49 Edited by gike987 (1755 posts) -

@minipato: @yaobikuni: You can also try this to get it run if windows is not in English, although I haven't tried it (as my Windows is in English) so it may not work. Be wary when messing around in regedit though, don't touch anything else.

#50 Posted by pcorb (109 posts) -

Thanks! This is pretty cool.

EA have been surprisingly generous with free games on Origin. Shame I always forget I have an Origin library.

Note to EA: No amount of free games will ever make up for that one time when you charged me £60 for SimCity, though.