Any early thoughts on The Sims 4?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I pre-downloaded, but I had to go to work early, so I have not tried it yet. Does anyone have any early thoughts? I actually found some the "Sim maker" free beta a bit confusing since it didn't really explain the controls. I had to watch some videos to figure out you could drag parts of the body around to shape things.

I'll come back tomorrow to give my impression, once I can have some time with the game. But, I would love to hear some first impressions. (Tell me if this is you first game or if you have played the games in the series before too.)

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shivermetimbers

Wow, I was thinking Giant Bomb would be all over The Sims 4. I come on and this is the first thread I see and it's empty. Huh....

I dunno if I'm getting the game or not, but I am curious as the last time I (seriously) played a Sims game was 2002, which was the first game. I never played 2 and only briefly played around in 3.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I helped a friend build a new PC specifically to play Sims 4 and she dislikes it so much that the game has already been uninstalled. I'm paraphrasing here, but she said, "It feels like they made a few things from the Sims 3 better, and removed the rest." Here's an exact quote, "It feels like its just there to sell me a bunch of expansion packs that I already bought for Sims 3"...not quite sure how to take that because I'm not a Sims player at all, but there you go.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@mb: Well she summed up what it looks like it is. The game literally looks like a gutted and inferior version of Sims 3. Hearing that it is exactly that isn't surprising. The game doesn't even have pools. Pools! A thing that has been in the series since the original base game.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you can't trap sims in a room with no door and leave them with a stove to set themselves on fire later on then this version sucks.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally people seem super disappointing with it. Some day I'll get my Sims 3 modded to a workable point and have the super fun Sims experience

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@mb said:

I helped a friend build a new PC specifically to play Sims 4 and she dislikes it so much that the game has already been uninstalled. I'm paraphrasing here, but she said, "It feels like they made a few things from the Sims 3 better, and removed the rest." Here's an exact quote, "It feels like its just there to sell me a bunch of expansion packs that I already bought for Sims 3"...not quite sure how to take that because I'm not a Sims player at all, but there you go.

Had this exact same thing happen to a neighbor, she and her husband went out and got her a gaming laptop (one of those overpriced Alienware machines with the pretty keyboard) specifically because she enjoyed playing the Sims so much. She installed the game this morning since it was her day off and I saw her while walking my dog. She said that there's some good, like the customization of the actual sims (i.e. faces, hair, beards) and that the new building system is great, but apparently the game overall just feels empty. She said that there's barely a city to interact with now and that there's nothing from the Sims expansions past included (no pets, college, vacations) so all in all the game sounds like a base for pricey expansions.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By glots
gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gike987

I like it. I think it's a much better foundation than The Sims 3. I like the core gameplay much more (it's actually somewhat challenging and varied again, the emotion system is great), the UI is seems better, the build tools and CAS are better. The only problem is that there is a lack of things to do, but not really much more than every Sims game at release. With a couple of expansions adding things back again I feel like it could be the best Sims game.

I could see how people who really liked or only played Sims 3, which I really didn't like, would dislike it though. The approach to how the game is designed feels much more in line with Sims 2 (maybe even Sims 1), it is hard to describe exactly why. Probably has to to do with the game requiring more attention again with the emotion system and the more challenging careers.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

About the only thing that really bothers me about it is how inconsequential the sims you aren't currently playing are, outside of your own interactions with them.
In The Sims 3 they'd go on living their lives and doing things, they were somewhat interesting. There isn't really any of that here, so it's hard not to feel like it's a step back.
But I'm still enjoying the gameplay and I'm sure they'll happily sell me improvements and fixes in future expansions and I'll eat it up 'cos I'm a sucker.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Pretty sure Sims 3 and maybe Sims 2 had the same feeling that everything had been gutted.

While it does suck for people who religiously play them and have all the expansions, I imagine it isn't too bad for someone who just dabbles in the core game whenever they come along. That sort of describes myself with Sims. I never got into the expansions because they all seem like ridiculous stuff that isn't what I want out of the Sims gameplay I guess.

I also draw this consumer expectation comparison to MMOs. People play WoW or FFXI for 10 years and then go into a new MMO and complain there is nothing to do and no content. Obviously.. it doesn't have 10 years of content development and 6 expansions behind it. But I don't think it quite the same for the Sims games. The sequels never seemed very different than the one that came before it except for a bit of a graphics bump. And stuff like pools that have seemingly always been in it and now its not.

The thought of picking this one up has been in the back of my mind since they first showed it. But I've come to expect the game to have none of the goofy expansion type content because that's how they milk these fans. I don't know. Meh. Just going to wait and see some video coverage of it. In general it sounds like people aren't pleased.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By koolaid

Yeah, I feel like you can't really make a Sims game without making it feel gutted. I mean, they don't really change. It's still the same basic game. Every sequel is going to feel a lot like the old ones. Also I think it's really noticeable what your sims CAN'T do. Like I can't have my sim be a handyman and repair/upgrade stuff anymore and that's kind of a bummer. And what you can't do kind of drowns out the cool new things.

Like multitasking sims is pretty cool. Being able to talk and eat and watch tv at the same time makes everyone feel more alive. And the ability to import sims and house from the community really easy is great too. I also think the build and create a sim tools are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the sims 3. But I don't think you can help but have a feeling of "been there, done that" I mean, it's still the sims!

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've been playing the Sims since Sims 1. I have bought and purchased every expansion and sequel and stuff pack since then. Obviously they want to continue making money and will release expansion packs for Sims 4. So yes, if you owned everything for Sims 3, none of that stuff will be in Sims 4. I'm sure it will come down the road as an expansion but better, hopefully. The base game of Sims 4 however so far seems slightly improved from Sims 3. Like KoolAid said, Sims can now multitask so you can play a game using your tablet while watching TV to fulfill your Fun need even faster. Another example is my Sim was eating and I told him to go change outfits. Instead of stop eating, he carried his plate of food with him, changed in the bedroom and then finished eating.

The new town (there are two technically) does seem smaller in comparison to Sims 3. The building mode is way better than ever before. Buy mode and build is now just combined into one mode so you can do everything from there without having to switch. For someone like me who doesn't really get into building but needs room to add more stuff I buy it makes it easy. For example, I wanted to get a desk and computer in the house. I just went to build mode and under the Study section found a furnished room with what I wanted, plopped it down on my house and it added the room right to the rest of the house. Too easy.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@koolaid: Sims can repair and upgrade items. There is a skill for repairing.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By MariachiMacabre

EA not providing any review codes or copies in time for even a single release day review seems like a pretty calculated move considering all of the negative reactions from fans. My friend who works in the games area of Best Buy told me almost 1/3rd of the people who pre-ordered it (which was a lot of people according to him) have come in trying to return it. Congratulations, EA. You got your money, I guess.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So building was at least half of the enjoyment I got out of the game. I enjoyed trying to build realistic houses within the confines of the system.

When you are saying this build mode is way better, is it just that it is easier with premade stuff? Or is it that the mode gives you more freedom with the way walls, floors, corners, roofs etc interact? Because that is the stuff I want out of an improved build mode.

I want to have basements (which I hear isn't doable in Sims 4 but I was able to get it to work in the base version of Sims 3) and the tiered roofs etc. It's kind of hard to explain the stuff I want haha. I want it to be more advanced toward like an architect level.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Corvak

@glottery: Yeah, not much talk because EA didn't send out any review copies. Though after that Simcity 2013 Polygon review fiasco, I don't blame them.

From watching streams, I think I will let the price drop a bit, and wait for expansions to put a lot of content back in. I'll just get my Sims urges from Sims 3 for now.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I was thinking Giant Bomb would be all over The Sims 4. I come on and this is the first thread I see and it's empty. Huh....

I dunno if I'm getting the game or not, but I am curious as the last time I (seriously) played a Sims game was 2002, which was the first game. I never played 2 and only briefly played around in 3.

The Giant Bomb community is made up of skeptical and savvy gamers. Anyone even remotely following this game could see the red flags.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By SubwayD

Huh. An the reaction over on a certain large, game-centric forum had been somewhat positive.

It's bizarre just how muted this release was. That said, I'm still cautiously optimistic to try it when it comes out in Europe on Friday.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not a review, more of a first impression form a newbie.

Okay, this is my first Sims game, so I came at it new & fresh without too many preconcieved notions. I had some prior experiences with the Create a Sim program so that was fairly easy for me. There was a little bit of confusion moving from creating the avatar to choosing a section of town to start in I was sort of confused for a minute because suddenly you moving form controls being mid screen center to being down below at teh sides. Create-a-Sim: I give a 8/10 for ease of use for a new player, it can be figured out fairly easily.

Once I choose a part of town I picked a lot for my house. That was easy enough but I found the creation process for making a house extremely confusing. I've made houses or structures in other games using various push/pull drop controls but I have to say it took me over 30 minutes to get used to the controls and it was extremely difficult unless you pay attention about how to move around. I eventually just gave up after my house was 80% done. It has a front door, living room, kitchen bathroom on one floor with a stairway to a bedroom and second bathroom on teh second floor...it has a roof and some windows. I could not figure out siding or outside paint or how the hell to make a walkway from the side walk to my front door. Create-a-home: I give that a 5/10, what a cluster-fuck of an interface and lack of an option to drop a basic house to be modded is short sighted.

It seemed like there was a 'mission' to go meet people, so since I could not get my Sim to walk into their house I just had them head to the park. There were literally no other Sims in the park for 2 minutes...not sure if that was normal. So when I saw another Sim I finally ran over to them. My Sim started talking, that Sim started talking and i though everything was fine except nothing really seemed to be happening. Only after a few minutes did other Sims start strolling by, and only then did I notice other Sims seemed to be gaining skills and popping indicators of progress. Finally, I clicked on my Sim and saw the dialogue wheel to choose useful skill gaining topics. After a few minutes of gaining skills I was exhausted and somewhat frustrated, so I saved and shut off my computer. Doing-Sim-Shit: I supposed I got the hang of it, but they really could have given more prompts at what to do. Maybe the game does, but so much of the UI in tiny text bubbles that is not easy to read. I give the starting stuff of the game a 6.5/10.

Bottomline:
I won't say I don't like it, but I will say I have played games that ease newbies into their game play better. I'm going to stick with it, and I certainly don't think the underlying game seems bad, its just a bit opaque to a new player. Until Destiny shows up I will devote and hour or two a night to it. I will say the game does look very good, and there is a hook to watching the game playout with such detailed animation style characters. I'm sure long term fans won't like being set back to square one without the expansions they have come to enjoy...but expecting Sims 4 to be all of the last game plus more, is like expecting Call of Duty's new game to include 120 multiplayer maps from all past games + 14 new maps.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts on the Sims. Stop buying these horrible, shallow, cash grab, EA trash games!

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elko84: Oh. Well then how do you do it? I used to click on a item and the option would be there. Do I have to read a repair book?

She said that there's barely a city to interact with now and that there's nothing from the Sims expansions past included (no pets, college, vacations) so all in all the game sounds like a base for pricey expansions.

I dunno. Maybe this is a disconnect between people who are used to buying games and casuals players who just play the sims, but I never expected that Sims 4 would have all (hell, or any) of the expansion content standard. And adding those things don't sound trivial. Hell, having a dozen expansions just seems par for the course for the sims.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seem to remember the exact same reaction when The Sims 3 came out. It was too different from 2, it was a shell for expansions, etc, etc. That's...that's what these games are. I can't believe people are actually shocked that this is starting out just like every other sequel in the series. Personally, I always greatly enjoy the base games. That's where I put in most of my time. By the time expansions start coming out, I'm usually pretty much done with the game anyways.

I am enjoying the hell out of it so far. I am a 'casual' Sims fan from the beginning. I tend to play the hell out of the base game and buy maybe a few expansions for each one (usually on sale). I am really liking the changes so far. I think the new interface is pretty cool. The emotions thing is interesting, but I don't like how you can't lock the little mini-goals the Sim wants to do (I don't think, anyways). I found a few that expired before I had a chance to get them done.

The Sims 3's load times and just overall stability were terrible. I've been playing it recently with my daughter up until Sims 4 released. That initial load for 3 is probably longer than every load combined in a single playthrough. The world not being seamless is such a non-issue. I'm sure it's different from PC to PC, but no load took more than 5-10 seconds at most.

Also, the house-building tools are incredible. Yes, there are pre-made rooms (which is a great idea for the not-so-interior-decorating-inclined), but the base tools are incredibly intuitive and easy to use.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized that the GB pax panel gives a great profile shot of most of the guys. I am now really temped to go deep into create a sim and make all of Giant Bomb. That's not weird right? I'm not weird.

Anyone?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

Looking at how SimCity 2013 came out, I'm not surprised that again people are getting a game that isn't what they expected or wanted and are left wanting the old version. The producers seem to have some crystal ball they are referencing that is kind of busted.

Although character and house creation are good tools to have, people seemed to play The Sims for the interactions and reactions. Gutting those to put in ultra fancy editors does not feel like a great idea.

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By blzzzrrttt

@koolaid: Totally not weird! I mean, how are you supposed to know if a character creator is good if you don't try to accurately create your favorite celebrities in it?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koolaid said:

I just realized that the GB pax panel gives a great profile shot of most of the guys. I am now really temped to go deep into create a sim and make all of Giant Bomb. That's not weird right? I'm not weird.

Anyone?

pretty sure i saw this on UPF or something...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Corevi
@ripelivejam said:

@koolaid said:

Anyone?

pretty sure i saw this on UPF or something...

Danny did it for the Supply Drop stream.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've played and enjoyed every Sims game, but I've never bought an expansion for any of them. Personally I never cared for the open world aspect of Sims 3 anyways, whenever I leave the house that just makes it more difficult to manage all of my Sims at the same time. So it kind of sounds like peoples problems with this game won't bother me, but after Sim City, it's really hard to just go out and buy this without some reviews first. Hopefully people get them up soon.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By InternetDotCom

Sounds like it will be a fun game when I buy it in like 3 years with all the expansion packs in it at the price that it is now. After they add in all the stuff they always take out between Sims games.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By koolaid

Well, let this crazy project began. Who's this idiot?

No Caption Provided

I found someone named crysberry had already done a Giant Bomb crew. It was a great start but I thought I could add more detail. What do you think? Does this work?

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By koolaid
No Caption Provided

Man, this is hard. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere, it all looks wrong. I could spend hours getting lost in this shit.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gike987

@extomar said:

Looking at how SimCity 2013 came out, I'm not surprised that again people are getting a game that isn't what they expected or wanted and are left wanting the old version. The producers seem to have some crystal ball they are referencing that is kind of busted.

Although character and house creation are good tools to have, people seemed to play The Sims for the interactions and reactions. Gutting those to put in ultra fancy editors does not feel like a great idea.

I think the interactions an reactions are better than ever, with the emotions affecting conversations and conversations with more than two sims in them. The separate bars for romantic interest and friendship is also a big improvement. Friendships are much harder to get an keep again too. Those things are definitely not how Sims 4 is lacking, they are by far the best they have ever been.

The things that are lacking in Sims 4 is the completely open world (which I still think was a huge mistake and don't miss), toddlers, pools, management of non-active families, and many smaller flavor things such as carpools and NPC services.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sims seems like one of the few games that actually can be bad, or "lacklustre" to be polite, at its launch due to the way early access and the notion of "games as a service" are becoming more prevelant. Look at Diablo 3, which had a poor launch overall but has since found its footing and a new audience with expansions and re-releases. I think Battlefield 4 may be on the same trajectory, or at least that is the impression I am feeling through osmosis. EA can do it and The Sims 4's success, like Diablo and (maybe) Battlefield, falls on keeping the die hard fans through the tough time, something I think this game has the power to do, just like The Sims 3 did.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'm actually getting more out of the game by watching videos of people playing and showing how to do things. That's what is nice about modern gaming within a day or two people are showing you what is possible to digging into tools you might not have found yourself.

I think Sims 4 will find its audience, and I think many of the fans who are upset will slowly just get into it again.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dietomaha

There is one thing that really irritates me about the game: You can't see your Sims' needs and such while they're at work. The bar occasionally turns yellow or red, indicating that they are still going through the needs while away, but you can't do anything about it.

Granted, by the time they get home, most needs tend to be in the green in my experience, but it's hard letting go I guess. Ultimately this really is a minor thing, as even if you COULD see what their needs were, you can't really do anything about it until they get home anyways. This seems like it'd be an easy thing to patch though.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EXTomar

@gike987 said:

@extomar said:

I think the interactions an reactions are better than ever, with the emotions affecting conversations and conversations with more than two sims in them. The separate bars for romantic interest and friendship is also a big improvement. Friendships are much harder to get an keep again too. Those things are definitely not how Sims 4 is lacking, they are by far the best they have ever been.

The things that are lacking in Sims 4 is the completely open world (which I still think was a huge mistake and don't miss), toddlers, pools, management of non-active families, and many smaller flavor things such as carpools and NPC services.

That is what I mean with interactions and reactions. Sure the sim-sim stuff is still there but a lot of the other things are just gone where I don't think they've replaced enough to make up for it. A great example of the issue is that they took away pools but gave players a way to customize fountains (shape, position, fish, ect). Again it is great the level of customization you can get tinkering with fountains but the things you did with your Sims with a pool was fun and even amazing because of the level of interaction and reaction lead to other interactions and reactions.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AMyggen
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By mikemcn

Having gotten deep into the sims 3 in the last year or so, the lack of an open world seems like it would suck!

The user content integration and the new conversation system seem wicked cool though, i think its just silly to assume that they could remake everything in the sims 3 plus all the new stuff. I'll wait until 4 is on sale 5 years down the road and dive in.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@koolaid said:
No Caption Provided

Man, this is hard. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere, it all looks wrong. I could spend hours getting lost in this shit.

Is there no curly hair option for Patrick?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

My understanding is that this is an all new engine, how can anyone in the know berate this game for having less features than Sims 3?

I get it if you don't know nothing about games but everyone else, come on.

Or maybe it's not, I dunno really.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back again...

The community for mods for the game are doing some interesting things. A lot fo it is personal interactions (relationship tweaks), clothing (various items), and some back end mechanical things like extending life, etc.

I think I have downloaded maybe ten mods, from Mod The Sims (website) because they are fee and easy to install. Most of the mods I have downloaded are just adding or subtracting something from the game. Nothing earth shaking, but some of the mods just make every day chores in the house easier. "Longer aging" is escpaclly handy too is you want to play with one household for a long time.

So far I still like it as a nice little time waster. I spend maybe 30 min a night playing, then I move on to other things.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[flip over the hour glass]
Well, I just re-started playing the game again. Sometimes last year I 'screwed the pooch' when I downloaded a bad mod. (That what I loath about PC, you can easily fuck your games with one bad patch or mod). So, I finally got around to fixing the game and downloading it again.

Since, I had take so much time off, I decided to restart. There is something about these types of games I just find very relaxing, and I can spend hours just tweaking things. Anyone else playing?