Surely this Can't Be Right

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph

So, I bought The Swapper a while back on Steam but never got around to playing it. I wanted to play it this evening, and ended up buying it on my PS3 (cause controller support). When I booted it up, I immediately was thrown off by the graphics, I remember Patrick playing it on a QL and was sure it looked way better than it did on my PS3. I took a pic of running on the PS3. It's so pixelated the character is blending into the wall.

No Caption Provided

I booted it up on my Mac to see if it looked the same, and lo and behold it looked 1000x better. Has anyone noticed graphical problems with the PS3 version?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

They both looked like you took a picture of it off the screen. If that's the case it is incredibly difficult to tell. If not then the brightness must be cranked up or something.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

They both look pretty terrible but there is noticably less DoF on the PS3 shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know about you but I found the difference to be startling just by looking at these screens, look how low res the scenery looks on the PS3.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Looks like the PS3 version is being rendered at 640x480... yuck!

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By emfromthesea

Has anyone played the PS4 version? Perhaps that one looks closer to the PC version?

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By realph

@sunbrozak: I expect a graphical step down from the PC to PS3, but not that drastic of a difference. I haven't seen pixelated mess like that since the GBA. I've emailed Sony and asked for my money back. Will continue to play on the Mac.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane

It is hard to tell due to how the pictures were taken but that first pic...those dots like you said "pixelated" does look like it is running at a Super low resolution. Crazy.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: I have been playing little bit of the PS4 version and it seems fine. Game isn't exactly a stunner, but the art style goes a long way of making the game look unique. OP it also looks your tvs sharpness is cranked all the way up, so that might make it look a lot worse than it is.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That means you need to get with the times and play it on a real-ass console, the PS4!

(Seriously, I don't know, it looks good on PS4, but that screenshot definitely looks rough.)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@realph said:

So, I bought The Swapper a while back on Steam but never got around to playing it. I wanted to play it this evening, and ended up buying it on my PS3 (cause controller support). ...

Fwiw I played The Swapper on PC with a controller....

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I wish I could find the article I read a few days ago, but yes, the PS3/Vita versions had to be knocked down a bit in graphical quality to get them to run (although it ends up still looking pretty good on the Vita due to the smaller screen). This comment I read from Curve Studios was in the context of them talking about the Wii U port that's on the way, saying that version would be essentially like the PS4 version rather than the PS3 version.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@realph: You should look into Xpadder, I used it to configure my Xbox controller for use in The Swapper. I set up my own profile, but there are almost always multiple Xpadder profiles that people share online for you to use as well. Only takes a few minutes to set up for each game once you're used to it, and it can either add controller functionality to games without it, or greatly expand controller functionality in games that do have it.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I tried Xpadder with a couple of games before and just couldn't figure out how to use it. Maybe I was just being dim-witted but I never got it working.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By realph

@strife777: Haha, I would have played it on the PS4 if I had one. Got an XB1 and currently waiting for a real reason to pick up a PS4. The Order might be that reason.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RonGalaxy

It's almost definitely running at 720p on ps3. And just to make a note of it, this is most likely due to time restrictions/lack of resources than actual power of the console. Spelunky also looks like shit on ps3 and there's no good reason for it to other than because the devs didn't have enough time to optimize, or weren't familiar enough with the hardware to make it the best it could be, or whatever reason. Sony probably gave them a deadline and they had to make concessions for the ps3 version because it's harder to dev for.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 99% sure that the Swapper on PC and Mac has controller support built in.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@killerfridge said:

I'm 99% sure that the Swapper on PC and Mac has controller support built in.

It has built in controller support for the xbox 360 controller on pc. Just tested it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on PS4 and it looked fantastic to me. Get with the times grandpa!

I'm currently downloading it on my Vita for no reason but I'll play it to see how it looks. I'm interested to see if it actually looks like crap.