First engaging detective game?

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was bored with the detective minigames in the Batman Arkham games because there is no way to fail them and I hate pixel hunting.

I haven't heard of other great detective games (except Sherlock Holmes of course) so I was wondering:

What are the gameplay hooks?

We have already seen the main objective is recreating a crime by ordering sequences from a scene. This would potentially give you the cutscene as a reward and just send you to the next area?

It looks great but I'm not sure if it will be enough gameplay unless the story is really great.

I hope it doen't degrade into adventure game tropes like pixel hunting and inventory trial/error or on the other hand turn into a shooter or similar.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The game certainly looked exciting but I'm still holding out for Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment. I've never known Frogwares to disappoint the loyal fanbase!

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By kaos_cracker

I hope it releases on PS4 same days as the PC release. The gameplay looked really neat.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Loading Video...

You guys are watching TNA now? Geez.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@kaos_cracker: I'm pretty sure they said the PS4 version wouldn't be out until next year.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thehbk: EC3 is the only reason to watch TNA, he is consistently enjoyable in a way most people on RAW aren't.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

Other great detective games:

LA Noire

Deadly premonition

We'll see if this one is any good. I have my doubts, but you never know.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@thehbk: EC3 is the only reason to watch TNA, he is consistently enjoyable in a way most people on RAW aren't.

I agree. But his entertainment value and personality, playing off Rockstar Spud are great, but it high lights how lame others are. Like the Wolves and EY.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thehbk said:
@corruptedevil said:

I agree. But his entertainment value and personality, playing off Rockstar Spud are great, but it high lights how lame others are. Like the Wolves and EY.

Certainly, and all the old ECW guys who were either never good or are nowhere near as good as they used to be doesn't help either.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Uh, hello, universe? Sam and Max? LAWYERED.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: You're right, but I wouldn't really call that detective work. I don't know, maybe. They're so cartoony even though they are detectives I never really thought of it that way.

They were great games, though, imo. Especially Sam and Max Hit the Road

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Ruiner

Other great detective games:

LA Noire

Deadly premonition

We'll see if this one is any good. I have my doubts, but you never know.

I don't see how DP had any real detective elements.

ANd LA Noire was better. But if you figured out the killer early, which I did in the second murder, you had no way of acting on it and had to let the story play out arrest the wrong people over and over and over.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruiner: The mechanics weren't great, but you did have to go to crime scenes and solve a murder. That's the whole point of the game haha

It's maybe not well done, but it's still very much a detective game. I'm actually not sure how you couldn't describe it as one- if even in part only (as there's kind of a lot of stuff going on in that overly ambitious game).

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thesquarepear

Apparently they just sent out a preview copy to some european youtubers a couple days ago.

This video gets really surreal (with what might be considered spoilers) but in a story driven way more than a gameplay fashion.

Loading Video...

I am sad that I probably won't have access to any PC that can run it when it comes out next week.

Anyways I am hyped for this because it adds exploration to a serene but merciless scenery like the one in Alan Wake.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@kaos_cracker: I'm pretty sure they said the PS4 version wouldn't be out until next year.

Well that's a bummer. For some reason I thought it would be coming out around the same time. No Vanishing for me 'till next year then...