Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series - A New Frontier

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 20, 2016

The third season of Telltale's adaptation of The Walking Dead follows a new main protagonist, Javi, as he gets involved with a community of survivors known as The New Frontier.

What do you want from Season 3? (EXTREME SPOILERS!)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

I'm sure that the next season will focus on Clem becoming a mentor to AJ, like Lee was to her. That seems like too good of a character progression for them to pass up. It's a pity that it will probably be a long time before it comes out (they'll probably finish of both Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones before starting the third season of TWD).

Given the multiple endings, I'm sure it will be set years in the future, after Clem has left Wellington / left Howe's / left Kenny / left wherever she ends up after wandering off with AJ - so that Clem starts out in a specific new location at the start of next season. I very much doubt they'd pick one of the endings to be canon; although, if they did, it would likely be the Wellington one - since that seems like the 'good ending'.

The next season absolutely needs to have more of an overarching goal. There were a lot of fantastic moments in Season 2, but it just felt like a bunch of people aimlessly going from place to place. Also, I would like fewer characters and fewer deaths; it was very hard to connect the characters because the majority of them got such little screen time.

Also, they definitely need to improve the graphics - including creating more zombie models. It's a shame that Season 2 didn't look that great, especially compared to TWAU's gorgeous visuals.

So, what do you want to see from the next season?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A season that feels like it was made because they had a story to tell, not a second game to sell.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Wolf Among Us Season 2.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

I want my final choices to actually matter. If I saved and stayed with Kenny, I would like to be with him at least for an episode before he dies or something happens to him. I mean, the final episode of season 2 was brilliant, and there are so many choices one can go with, why throw that out the window in season 3? I hated the fact that Omid and Christa basically both died/vanished right at the beginning, but at least ending up with them wasn't much of a choice you had in the first season.

Look, I'm just saying that before we get to the serious stuff, I want my decisions to carry on.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Branthog

Nothing. I'm done.

The first season was fantastic. All of the problems of the engine and stupid quick-time game mechanics were excusable, because the story and characters compensated for it. All I wanted from the second season was a new set of characters. I wanted The Walking Dead to be a series where each season had all new characters in an all new set of situations in a new place -- but all set in the same world. The last thing I wanted was more Clementine... who already had her story told.

If they're not willing to start fresh with new characters and a new story, I'm not willing to put up with a broken save system, waiting two months or more between each short episode, janky action sequences, tired quick time events, and an often broken presentation where things just... totally..break. And don't even get me started about the pointlessness of "choice" and how the player in all of these games has absolutely zero agency.

Sadly, I don't know if I'll be willing to give Tales from Borderlands a shot anymore, either. Nor Game of Thrones. I'm just really tired of nothing about the actual game improving over the years... and the story no longer kills it to the point that I'll tolerate any inconvenience for it.

It's really unfortunate, because there are so many stories that would be fitting for this engine and this treatment -- and I'd buy them! -- but not with it so broken.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ThunderSlash

@branthog: Did you play Season 2 or The Wolf Among Us? Telltale totally fixed their broken save system and their production values overall have gotten much better, at least on the PC version. I mean, the animations are still a bit puppet-like and there are still quick time events, but they are getting better at doing this stuff. The pointless choice stuff I'll give you that, but Season 2 does have like 3 drastically different endings.

I don't know how they are going to be able to incorporate more gamey elements into their stuff. It seems like it might go against the storytelling they try to do. They can always go back to trying to make the games more like adventure games, but I'm not sure if people want that. The first season contained some minor puzzles and people griped about it; I enjoyed it though.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The choice to get rid of the baby. I know, I'm an horrible person, but I dislike those creatures.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Dunno, more TWD I guess. I'd rather leave it up to them to tell the story they want to tell rather than the story I want them to tell.

It's a shame that Season 2 didn't look that great, especially compared to TWAU's gorgeous visuals.

But... but they look the same... with a slightly different color palette...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I guess the obvious next stop would be to follow an older Clementine looking after AJ, but I dunno... I loved following Clementine during Season 2 and think she's a fantastic protagonist, one that you can take to some really interesting places. Though I also wouldn't be opposed to Clementine being delegated to an NPC again as you now control a new character; it would still be set years in the future, but Clementine is now this real hardcore survivalist and could potentially function as the dependable veteran character, sorta like how Jane was in S2.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm not sure they could fallow up, considering how terrible the TV series is especially how they replace head writers.

hmmmmm considering how much the series feels like "here's a batch of characters to kill off" and ESPECIALLY after the 400 Days DLC and how only one of them impacted the main story of season 2.

I loved how last episode was less action and more characters dialog. I would want more of that then any single action sequence where I'm asked to shoot something.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clementine's story is pretty much done, plus the zombies would EVENTUALLY have to rot to the point where they're incapable of even moving, right? So even if it did a time skip to five years later where AJ is old enough to be the the third season's "Clementine" character, it wouldn't really matter much, since the zombies would all be gone. I mean, they could perhaps focus on rebuilding society and dealings with bandits and the like, but then the game really wouldn't live up to its 'Walking Dead' title. Plus with the vastly different endings, it would kind of make it all feel like it's a pointless choice, since the slate would be cleared at the beginning of season three, with only occasional mentions of your previous choices.

So with that in mind, I want a third season to focus on a completely new cast set at the beginning of the apocalypse again. In every form of media, the beginning of the zombie apocalypse is always the most interesting part. Think of the first 20~ minutes in The Last of Us, Dawn of the Dead, and even Resident Evil. When just normal everyday people witness their world ending and have to cope with it is when it's really interesting. There's so many different routes they can go with it, and I just hope they realize that potential and do something great.

I'll be pretty bummed if the third season is following Clem again.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

Clementine's story is pretty much done, plus the zombies would EVENTUALLY have to rot to the point where they're incapable of even moving, right? So even if it did a time skip to five years later where AJ is old enough to be the the third season's "Clementine" character, it wouldn't really matter much, since the zombies would all be gone. I mean, they could perhaps focus on rebuilding society and dealings with bandits and the like, but then the game really wouldn't live up to its 'Walking Dead' title. Plus with the vastly different endings, it would kind of make it all feel like it's a pointless choice, since the slate would be cleared at the beginning of season three, with only occasional mentions of your previous choices.

So with that in mind, I want a third season to focus on a completely new cast set at the beginning of the apocalypse again. In every form of media, the beginning of the zombie apocalypse is always the most interesting part. Think of the first 20~ minutes in The Last of Us, Dawn of the Dead, and even Resident Evil. When just normal everyday people witness their world ending and have to cope with it is when it's really interesting. There's so many different routes they can go with it, and I just hope they realize that potential and do something great.

I'll be pretty bummed if the third season is following Clem again.

Then I think you might be disappointed,bud. Her story isn't told.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: Did you play Season 2 or The Wolf Among Us? Telltale totally fixed their broken save system and their production values overall have gotten much better, at least on the PC version. I mean, the animations are still a bit puppet-like and there are still quick time events, but they are getting better at doing this stuff. The pointless choice stuff I'll give you that, but Season 2 does have like 3 drastically different endings.

I don't know how they are going to be able to incorporate more gamey elements into their stuff. It seems like it might go against the storytelling they try to do. They can always go back to trying to make the games more like adventure games, but I'm not sure if people want that. The first season contained some minor puzzles and people griped about it; I enjoyed it though.

I enjoyed Wolf Among Us, but that was because the story just barely managed to overcome the jank engine. The action sequences are still terrible and so are the quick-time-events. Even worse are the number of times I had to relaunch the game, because it suddenly decided to replace every choice with "This choice is empty."

In my experience, they still haven't fixed the save system. The only way to reasonably play it seems to be to wait until every episode is out and play them in one stretch, so you have less risk of the save being corrupted or ignored.

If they improved their animation system a little and fixed some of this janky stuff (and figured out how to replace or diminish the poor action and QTE parts), they could apply all sorts of stories to this type of game. I'd play some noir movie type stuff, any day.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

I'm not sure they could fallow up, considering how terrible the TV series is especially how they replace head writers.

hmmmmm considering how much the series feels like "here's a batch of characters to kill off" and ESPECIALLY after the 400 Days DLC and how only one of them impacted the main story of season 2.

I loved how last episode was less action and more characters dialog. I would want more of that then any single action sequence where I'm asked to shoot something.

This is another reason doing a new story with all new characters each season would be so great. If the characters and story suck, you're only five episodes away from a restart. Besides, the best part of zombie stories is always the "how would you survive with this mix of people with this mix of specialties and this mix of traits".

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm happy with the way they ended Clementine's story. There's enough endings to decide what you most wanted for that character. If there's going to be a third season, I want a new cast of characters. Maybe a cameo by Clem if they really have to include her, but I'm content with them leaving her story be.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why everyone wants clementine to be excluded. She's the biggest reason I'm excited for season 3.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I'm kind of open to anything. I've loved both season 1 and 2, even with their very different approaches. It would be cool to follow an older Clementine, mentoring young AJ, but I wouldn't have a problem with taking a completely different set of characters, and Clementine never being mentioned again. For me, the finale to season 2 worked well as both an end to her story, and a jumping off point to what's to come for her. I'm firmly in the cult of Telltale at this point, and even though season 2 didn't quite live up to the bar 1 set, I am still super excited for what comes next. No matter what that is.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By crithon

@branthog said:

@crithon said:

This is another reason doing a new story with all new characters each season would be so great. If the characters and story suck, you're only five episodes away from a restart. Besides, the best part of zombie stories is always the "how would you survive with this mix of people with this mix of specialties and this mix of traits".

yeah, but I mean that's the biggest sin of these games' story. "Any time anyone gets character developement they are going to die soon." Just like the McBane scene from the Simpsons. And yeah, a new batch of characters should help but really the way season 2 ends you do want more from Clem and who she picked..... although I doubt telltale is going to write two different games for people who picked two different directions.

I don't know, at some point.... I feel they need to go FATHER then just "the inner struggles of a group" themes the games have been experiencing. Although I felt Jane and Clementine learning to be as sisters was really something fresh for a video game story.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why everyone wants clementine to be excluded. She's the biggest reason I'm excited for season 3.

Mostly because her heading off into the distance after parting from Lee was the best ending possible.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog said:

@theacidskull said:

Mostly because her heading off into the distance after parting from Lee was the best ending possible.

Yeah, but I still don't think her story has been told completely. I'd like to see her raise AJ

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.