Parry and Riposte in hard mode?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

I did the parry and riposte tutorial without any issues, but I haven't been able to do it again in the main game. I was wondering if it was simply a timing issue, so I quickly started a new game and did the parry and riposte tutorial again and it all worked out fine. I went back to my game and found some drowners to test out the timing and nothing would come out.

Are certain moves simply immune to parry and riposte?

Can only sword attacks be parried?

Can you only parry humans?

EDIT: Did some testing on a town guard and picked up the parry achievement (10 in a row) so maybe some moves or monsters are immune or have very strict timing.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Some monsters have specific moves that cannot be parried and will leave you staggered for example if you attempt to parry them. You can parry a lot of basic monster attacks, just not all.
Same goes for certain weapons humans use, usually the heavier kind like maces, axes and halberds.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I dont know about Witcher 3 but in 1 and 2 parry is only for fights with the steelsword.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Karkarov

Just to be specific.... there is a reason there is an in game tool tip that says "When fighting monsters try to dodge their attacks, when fighting men block and counter!" So yeah, you can't parry monsters for the most part.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When fighting drowners I found that holding block and then dodging led to me giving them a quick hit as I dodge that is similar to reposting was in the tutorial.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess I'll keep an eye on what can be parried and what can't. I'm sure monsters will have secret parry windows because I seem to recall being able to parry some monster attacks in Witcher 2.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Some monsters it seems it is necessary, like with wraiths and nekkers it makes killing them a lot easier and there was some other monster where supposedly if you counter, you can cut off its tongue that way. Obviously, I don't think you will be able to parry the larger monsters/beasts in the game, but I feel like from the draconoids and anything smaller than that is where it becomes possible to parry a basic attack. Those are just my observations in the game so far.

M3cha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For monsters like Drowners and Ghouls, you can parry their basic attacks. The ghoul's jump attack will leave you staggered if you try to block/parry, so it's best to dodge or roll out of the way. Drowners can be blocked until they do their jump attack much like ghouls. Enemies like Nekkers can, as far a I can tell, be blocked with all their attacks.

For humans, the heavy enemies with larger weapons (large axes, halberds, etc.) can't be blocked or parried, so dodging is your best bet.

YorkshireYank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the level of the monster matter at all? I was fighting some drowners three levels higher than me and their attacks were going right through the parry even though I knew their attacks were blockable.

TerminatorZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some monsters it seems it is necessary, like with wraiths and nekkers it makes killing them a lot easier and there was some other monster where supposedly if you counter, you can cut off its tongue that way.

Huh, I've beaten both Witcher games a couple of times each and I've put over 30 hours into Witcher 3 so far - I never parried a monster in my life. I only parry swords and arrows.

Ams I stupids?