Signs bug?

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By poisonjam7

I've encountered a bug where I'm unable to cast signs while in combat. If I try, I get a message saying "this action cannot be performed in combat." Or something to that effect. I've had this happen on two different occasions, and it's incredibly frustrating. I'm not a controller thrower, but god damn if I wasn't tempted. Somehow it manages to fix itself, but not after I'd gotten my ass kicked fairly well. (I use signs a lot in combat) and no, these weren't fist fights or any sort of restricted combat scenarios - they were run-of-the-mill encounters.

Switching signs does not fix the issue, but switching your secondary item (bombs, crossbow, etc.) may have corrected it, but I'm not entirely sure if that's what did it or if it fixed itself.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? If not, be forewarned - it's maddening and may just get you killed if you rely on signs a lot like me.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have never seen this, only in fist fights which is a restriction placed there on purpose. Also there is a thread on bugs/glitches already...

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By poisonjam7

@quipido: the funny one? Yeah, I know. This isn't funny.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Never had this happen on PC. Which platform are you playing on?

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've seen this on ps4

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It's popped up for me on occasion, but I've never had it last the length of a battle.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quipido

@quipido: the funny one? Yeah, I know. This isn't funny.

Ah, sorry about that - I didn't realise that one was about the funny ones, my bad.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never seen this on PC does your signs button do something else when not in combat? There's a lvl2 Quen bug that annoys me, where the hitbox doesn't register, so they'l hit the shiled without it registering and you'l just be moved around.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Turambar

It's not necessarily a bug. There are things that actually prevent you from casting signs, the one immediately popping into mind being the bomb that creates a cloud that prevents both you and enemies from using magical abilities.

jerkchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen that message pop up on PS4, but maybe a second later was able to cast.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

Ive gotton the message a few times and i think it was because i was still completing an animation and i couldnt cast a sign. In combat i run slighty or even getting out of roll, i have to stand completely still before i can cast a sign.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something like this happened to me during the "jenny o' the woods" quest.
I tried to cast Yrden and it just would not work, never got that feedback message though.
Reloading my save fixed it.
Happened multiple times doing that quest and I've never seen it happen again.
Knock on wood.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only time I got this message is if I am doing a fist fight, then you can't use signs. Otherwise in regular fights, no, never had that happen.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wwfundertaker:Running, rolling and sidestepping deplete your stamina in combat, which is the same meter you cast Signs with.

@franstone: Were you using a certain bomb that the bestiary entry recommended you use? Because that disables all magical abilities, including your own.

And yeah, I've never had this problem outside of it being intentional (PS4).

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've had that message pop up for me on PS4. But I wasn't trying to cast a sign. I was trying to dodge. And I started to pay attention to my stamina bar, it was happening when I had no stamina. I think if you perform any action with no stamina it gives you that message. They just need to change the text to say something like Can't perform this operation now, instead of cant perform in combat.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it has to do with stamina regeneration being fucked (also health regeneration). Just experienced this and I have no recent save to go back to.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By poisonjam7

Sorry guys, forgot to mention I'm playing on PS4.

@gruff182: I've had this happen too. But more often then not, when holding the shield up Geralt will constantly move backwards - regardless of controller input.

@turambar: ah, that may be it! I haven't noticed if such an effect was present, but I'll test it out in a bit.