The Witcher 3 plays Conan O'Brien *Spoilers*

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Here is a new The Witcher 3 video, now with Conan O'Brien's humour.

Sorry, but I can't embed the video. Here is the url: Clueless Gamer Witcher 3 video

What do you think of the segment? And of The Witcher 3?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Loading Video...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeust

@71ranchero: Thanks for embedding it. I didn't find it in Youtube.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This thread might get locked because youtube spam, unfortunately

Always love these videos, laughed a bunch at this one. Can't wait for The Witcher 3. :D

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Sex and murder, seems about right.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I usually don't like these videos, but this one got some laughs. Obviously this was all scripted so that the dumb little story could come full circle, but whatever. Him repeatedly hitting the talk button thinking it would go somewhere was pretty funny.

Game still looks all right, I guess.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help but love Conan's disdain for games.

MKX remains the best one by far, though. Good god, that one had me on the floor.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

PSA: Beware MASSIVEspoilers in the video for those that care about story/lore of the Witcher series. I kind of regret watching the first 3 minutes now :(

astrozombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That was actually much funnier than I thought it would be.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

These can be hit or miss sometimes, but this one was pretty hilarious.

@tennmuerti: I can't really think of anything that hasn't already been openly revealed in preview coverage so far, but maybe I wasn't paying close attention.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am glad this game is getting the attention it deserves.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was amazing.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

omg, I love these videos. This one was too goddamn good.

I always wonder how many copies these help sell though. Obviously, it has to help some, but it'd be cool if there were some way to see how many people learn about and buy games because they appear on Conan of all places.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even with premade saves at various points in the campaign, it feels like they must shoot at least like 90 minutes of fucking around in the game, and then only use like 10 minutes of footage, mostly the parts where Conan comes up with a good zinger either related to the game or his copilot. It ends up giving a really scattershot impression of the game since it's more about featuring Conan's zingers than the game itself. I don't expect a Quick Look or anything, but on the other hand, if they assume the demographic watching the show is a bunch of adults who don't understand gaming much in the first place and wouldn't care to take the game seriously, then why is the publisher promoting the game to those people through the medium of Conan?

It's just a weird segment. At least Fallon seems to genuinely enjoy games, though his show also barely knows how to present video games on a late night talk show.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even with premade saves at various points in the campaign, it feels like they must shoot at least like 90 minutes of fucking around in the game, and then only use like 10 minutes of footage, mostly the parts where Conan comes up with a good zinger either related to the game or his copilot. It ends up giving a really scattershot impression of the game since it's more about featuring Conan's zingers than the game itself. I don't expect a Quick Look or anything, but on the other hand, if they assume the demographic watching the show is a bunch of adults who don't understand gaming much in the first place and wouldn't care to take the game seriously, then why is the publisher promoting the game to those people through the medium of Conan?

It's just a weird segment. At least Fallon seems to genuinely enjoy games, though his show also barely knows how to present video games on a late night talk show.

I think it is a segment that people who play games and people who don't play games get to enjoy. Because it is something about games, played by a dude who doesn't play games and saying funny shit. ?If people are watching these hoping for actual coverage of the game, they are doing it wrong.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I'm pretty sure from a developer/publisher end it's little more than getting the name out there. They may not sell the game based on that kind of coverage, but it's very possible they could pique the interest of some people who don't follow games regularly.

Think of it as a TV advertisement or something. That's never going to showcase everything a game has to offer. Sometimes they don't even bother to show game footage. But that's not the point, they just want to catch the attention of potential consumers.

ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

PSA: Beware MASSIVEspoilers in the video for those that care about story/lore of the Witcher series. I kind of regret watching the first 3 minutes now :(

I haven't read the books and have only finished The Witcher 2, but I didn't notice any spoilers that haven't already been made very clear by the developers?

I don't know, I'd guess that there are a lot of 20-40 year old dudes who don't follow gaming news, but have an Xbox One or PS4 and are open to sitting down for an occasional open world RPG as long as it's shiny enough. And hey! Here's a very polished open world game with lots of story, lots of violence and action, and some gratuitous nudity, all things that their target demographic tends to enjoy. Sure, Conan makes fun of it, but anybody who might enjoy this game is probably smart enough to know that he's just kidding and this should be taken lightly. If I were a publisher, I'd definitely be OK with that, especially since The Witcher series still has a lot of popularity it could gain.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jsnyder82

@shagge said:

I can't help but love Conan's disdain for games.

MKX remains the best one by far, though. Good god, that one had me on the floor.

I loved that Marshawn Lynch's reaction to the disemboweling was to just walk away in disgust. That's the reaction I had to the game. I can't believe it's only M-Rated, to be honest.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I bet thats actually going to help them with sales ever so slightly. Sex sells after all.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: @shadowconqueror: Geralt is just hanging out with Yenefer as easy as pie.

I've seen that bit where he's sitting on a horse with her in a few promotional trailers. I thought they made it as clear as possible that Yennefer was going to be in this game?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you are bothered Conan didn't show off the game well you missed the point. It's called Clueless Gamer.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was pretty funny, but my favourite in the series is the Tomb Raider one. They just lock so shocked when Lara gets impaled while sliding done the river.

Also, not really any spoilers here in my opinion either.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god, yes!

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have any idea how they did this? Like was he actually sitting down for a few hours playing it? or were they just skipping constantly. A lot of things seem to have happened.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9: They probably just got a copy with some saves on it or maybe Conan actually gets advanced copies and that guy plays them and has save points ready but that seems like a lot of effort for a single segment of a television program not even about gaming.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeust

@humanity said:

@gamefreak9: They probably just got a copy with some saves on it or maybe Conan actually gets advanced copies and that guy plays them and has save points ready but that seems like a lot of effort for a single segment of a television program not even about gaming.

Depends if his partner likes the game, and has really a review or retail copy of the game. I would play through it... ahah

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NeoCalypso
@tennmuerti said:

@believer258: @shadowconqueror: Geralt is just hanging out with Yenefer as easy as pie.

I've seen that bit where he's sitting on a horse with her in a few promotional trailers. I thought they made it as clear as possible that Yennefer was going to be in this game?

Yeah it's pretty much been a crux of the marketing material at this point. Hell the game's CG opening is pretty much all about her.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9: I know that the other guy is at least semi into gaming. I've seen that he streams every now and again and I caught the end of a MKX one. My guess is he plays for a bit and save and loads up spots that are good for Conan to riff on.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jeust

@theblue said:

@gamefreak9: I know that the other guy is at least semi into gaming. I've seen that he streams every now and again and I caught the end of a MKX one. My guess is he plays for a bit and save and loads up spots that are good for Conan to riff on.

Yeah, the other guy seems knowledgeable about the game.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great promotional material, whatever fuels their marketing. It's Conan, so silly, but superb for publicity.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Anyone have any idea how they did this? Like was he actually sitting down for a few hours playing it? or were they just skipping constantly. A lot of things seem to have happened.

My guess is that they play for an hour and edit to have the best moments. As for the skipping, I think either the other guy, can't remember his name, play at least half the game or they get a system that has several areas open.

ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: You mean that stuff that's been in the trailers? Doesn't seem like a spoiler to me. Could be a flashback.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By mike

So, they showed an Xbox One box and played with an Xbox One controller, but that footage was from the PC version. Nice.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I really dont know what cdpr are trying to do with stuff like that. They already got called out once a while ago for the same tactic. I know MS is paying them for the marketing deal but damn CDPR, have some tact.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977: It's actually very refreshing to see a company be this transparent on how they operate. CDPR is probably one of the most honest and "tactful" developers out there.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@tennmuerti: Ah thanks for the warning, was about to ask the same question