#101  Edited By bigjeffrey
sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#102 sgtsphynx  Moderator

• One of them is well ummm, well, looks like fucking LETHO!

I don't know about you, but I let Letho live at the end of Witcher 2.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@iigrayfoxii said:

Anybody want to analyze or notice any detail that we may have missed while our eyes exploded?

• Geralt used a small hand crossbow. That's a goddamn big bear.
  • We get to hang out with the last bunch of witchers.
  • One of them is well ummm, well, looks like fucking LETHO!
  • It's got snow and a complete brothel, so basically it's a perfect game.
  • Iorveth gets the sniffles on some chloroform like substance.
  • Underwater swimming. There was a sea monster shadow.
  • Considering that Geralt is just one of the edges of the sword of blah blah, that implies there is another edge.

Ciri.

It's her that Tywin, I mean Charles Dance, I mean the Emperor of Nilfgaard is speaking to Geralt about, and likely the white-haired woman they showed. My short version of who she is ain't short, so I'd recommend you read that wiki-page. But she's absolutely the single, most important character in the Witcher series. She is the reason the Wild Hunt has plagued Geralt, she's the reason they kidnapped Yennefer. She's the reason for everything, even why Geralt has something like a heart these days. She's also the daughter of the Emperor of Nilfgaard, and Geralt's and Yennefer's adopted daughter. Oh, and she's a dimension/time-travelling sorceress with witcher training.

The other thing I noticed? Sex scenes with Triss.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@do_the_manta_ray: I agree with you, but correct me if I am wrong, Ciri has not appeared at all in any of The Witcher video games. The only reason I know who she is because she is a prominent character in the books.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Is the pre order site broken for other people too atm, cause none of the Witcher 3 buttons are doing anything for me, only the Witcher 1/2 stuff works.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#106 sgtsphynx  Moderator

After watching that trailer I am really curious as to what the system reqs are going to be on PC.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By altairre

@do_the_manta_ray: Reading the books would be an even better option than reading the wiki page. I'm going to go through those again before Witcher 3 comes out.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so no one is going to say anything about how a crow BORE ITSELF THROUGH SOME DUDE'S FUCKING SKULL? I'm sure that qualifies for something awesome.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I guess I'll replay 2 while I wait for Baptism of Fire to come out.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#111  Edited By YI_Orange
@altairre said:

@do_the_manta_ray: Reading the books would be an even better option than reading the wiki page. I'm going to go through those again before Witcher 3 comes out.

Are the English translations of those any good? I feel like I saw in another thread that there's really strange syntax that kind of diminishes the experience.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Which by the way, according to Amazon, comes out on June 24, 2014. Then again that whole Amazon-Hachette beef might make the wait longer.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the pre order site broken for other people too atm, cause none of the Witcher 3 buttons are doing anything for me, only the Witcher 1/2 stuff works.

Fuck it's all limited by country and the collectors edition is only available in a few.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I didn't think I could be more excited but that blew me away.

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre: Yeah, I agree, I'll likely make a marathon of it towards the end of the year. Though it's hardly something you can expect the casual gamer fan to do. Are there proper translations in English, as of yet? I read the majority of them in German.

@iigrayfoxii: Check out that wiki link I posted in my last post; at the end of it, it shows her only "appearance" in the games. Basically, her story is related to you as a fairy tale which Geralt has trouble believing. Aaah, amnesia.

@tennmuerti: Oh, brother, you have no idea. Those books can reach G.R.R Martin level of despicable, yet somehow actually manage to make the horror more grounded, closer to home. As for Ciri, she goes through some shit. Tortured, forced to watch a madman saw the heads off her best friends, used as a pit-fighter, and almost everyone wants to rape her, get her with child, or rip her ovaries out of her and just use those instead, including her own father. Geralt and Yennefer were the sole positive forces in her life (actually, Triss and the other Witchers and Zoltan and them dwarves meant something to her as well), and she believed both of those abandoned her for an extended period of time. She's also a terrific character that, as you might expect, grows a grand deal over the course of the books. I'd recommend 'em if you got some spare time, they're genuinely terrific.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all over that collector's edition, don't see it available anywhere yet though...

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By altairre
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@dussck said:

@iigrayfoxii said:

Anybody want to analyze or notice any detail that we may have missed while our eyes exploded?

What did you say there? Can't see anything anymore, eyes exploded..

aw man, not again...
aw man, not again...

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have already started saving up so that I can get an insanely powerful PC next year to play this at the best settings possible. This game will be amazing.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Which by the way, according to Amazon, comes out on June 24, 2014. Then again that whole Amazon-Hachette beef might make the wait longer.

I'm hoping. It was already delayed once because of that. And so was the last book. That was delayed by 6 months or something if I remember correctly.

Also boo on the collectors edition only being on their site and limited per select few countries. I was hoping to order it on Amazon like I did for the last game. I want it!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Tennmuerti

How retardedly do you need to want a game in order to: get a collectors edition, from another country, pay half it's cost again in shipping, to ship it to a country you don't even know you will be in next year. In addition to planning to get a new PC just for it.

I've got issues ...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I normally don't preorder games but I really want to give CDPR some money. Marcin Iwinski is my hero.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Tennmuerti

@do_the_manta_ray: Having read your summary and now the wiki, plus some relating entries ... fuuuuuuuuuck dude .... fuuuuuuck .... it all makes 100% sense now.

koolaid39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Might have to play through The Witcher 1 and 2 again. Just recently read through The Time of Contempt.

This is easily my most anticipated next gen game. Can't wait!

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How retardedly do you need to want a game in order to: get a collectors edition, from another country, pay half it's cost again in shipping, to ship it to a country you don't even know you will be in next year. In addition to planning to get a new PC just for it.

I've got issues ...

Don't sweat it. Everybody has that one franchise that makes them weak in the knees.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn, I am HYPED up for this game! I fucking LOVE this series, and I fully intend to get a new computer and buy it the day it comes out. Usually, I wait for sales or something, but this game will be an exception to that rule.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man 2015 is looking like it is going to be a quite crazy year in gaming if all these big releases really hit the mark.

As for this, look as I expected, amazing. They must have been showing gameplay from a PC so powerful it is sentient, but this will still look pretty sweet on my PS4.

Did they say anything about the gameplay area this time? I am hoping that they move away from dividing it up in to areas/chapters this time and just have one huge map you can travel about it. Witcher 2 didn't quite feel open world to me.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I missed it. Is there an archive?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Stickers! And a map!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#130  Edited By Seppli
splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Man, I should really drop what I'm doing right now and just play The Witcher 2 (I'm not going to, there is Final Fantasy that needs completing, but after that...?). Should I play it with M+K or a Controller should this situation come to pass?

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't watch the trailer right now because I'm at work, but from the comments this sounds like it's going to be set in the proper Witcher saga (y'know, Yennefer and Ciri and all that) and not a sequel to the prior games?

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I remembered that Yennefer was hinted to be alive at the end of 2. Guess this will probably continue the story of 2. Off to Nilfgaard we go!

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I should really drop what I'm doing right now and just play The Witcher 2 (I'm not going to, there is Final Fantasy that needs completing, but after that...?). Should I play it with M+K or a Controller should this situation come to pass?

The game plays comfortably with a K&M, so I'd stick with that.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@random45 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I prefer it with a controller.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By ripelivejam

my new r9 290 should be pleased w/ this.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

Did they say anything about the gameplay area this time? I am hoping that they move away from dividing it up in to areas/chapters this time and just have one huge map you can travel about it. Witcher 2 didn't quite feel open world to me.

Witcher 2 wasn't open world (or billed as such) but this game is fully open.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: Did you read the books in polish or did did you use the fan translations? Only 3 or 4 of them have been officially released and I want to read the series before playing Witcher 3, since the Wild Hunt is a prominent part of the books.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#139  Edited By Steadying

@artisanbreads: Actually, I'm pretty sure they straight up said the Witcher 2 was open world before it came out. I remember a video of them panning the camera out and being all " you can go from here to allll the over over to those mountains " or something along those lines. I can't be arsed to find the video, but I'm pretty sure they were right outside that jail stealth segment if you wanna find it yourself.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong! I just recall them advertising the game as open world from time to time. Not doubting that this game is gonna be truly open world this time, but yeah.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: The remainder of the books probably won't be coming out officially before the game. Baptism of Fire will be out later this month, but the translation for Time of Contempt is kinda poopy compared to The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. Can't comment on the accuracy of the translations since I'm not a Polish speaker, but after reading all three English books back-to-back, Time of Contempt felt noticeably less-good.

Your best bet is reading the fan translations.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: The remainder of the books probably won't be coming out officially before the game. Baptism of Fire will be out later this month, but the translation for Time of Contempt is kinda poopy compared to The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. Can't comment on the accuracy of the translations since I'm not a Polish speaker, but after reading all three English books back-to-back, Time of Contempt felt noticeably less-good.

Your best bet is reading the fan translations.

Have you completed the series? Does it have a satisfying ending?

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Man, we're talking books in every damn thread today, aren't we? I actually read the German translations of the books. Germany might be the best country in the world when it comes to conducting quick, high-quality translations of even rather obscure works. Assuming you don't speak German, another user told me that the fan-translations are very worth-while, so I'd suggest at least checking them out. And you are damn right the Wild Hunt is a prominent part of the books, and even of the game series. Everything that's happened up to now in the games has been due to the Wild Hunt and their obsession with Ciri. Reading the books will make you see these events in a completely different light.

I'll end with saying that the last two books are probably the best in the series, so I'd recommend reading them either way. There's also two short story collections, "The Last Wish", and "The Sword of Destiny", which are both terrific in their own right. The former actually explains Ciri's heritage and Emhyr's origins. They're marketing the name of the latter book in this here trailer, and for good reason. It's less of a short-story collection, and more of a single narrative tied together through particular events. It's really good reading, though the first story of that book is very weak compared to the rest, so don't judge it off of that one alone.

EDIT: To answer your question about the ending, it's really, really good. Also very important in order for you to understand the greater picture here. As I say below, it serves as the best kind of twist to the storyline of the games.

@tennmuerti: It's perfectly orchestrated. What impresses me about it, is the patience they've had in slowly expanding on the reasons for why all of this began. It's subtle, and kinda' insidious. For me, all of this makes perfect sense, but I imagine that from your position, this must've been the biggest twist since the last GoT episode. It's honestly ingenious, the way in which they've tied together the books with the events of the games. They execute perfectly on the concepts, story and symbolism of the books. As someone who's an avid reader and gamer, I couldn't ask for a series to receive better treatment. The books make the game a better experience, and vice versa. How many franchises can you say that about?

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Weeeeell, the previous games pretty much spoil the ending of the Ciri saga (regarding the fate of Geralt and Yennefer, at least), but I haven't finished the last two books yet so can't really comment.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Sbaitso
@aegon said:

@random45 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I prefer it with a controller.

I'll second playing with a controller. I actually just started a new playthrough using the new Xone controller drivers for PC today since this new trailer reminded me of how good The Witcher 2 is. I've been playing on the Dark difficulty they added, and I don't feel like I'm being held back control wise at all. Skill wise maybe, as I relearn how to play this excellent game effectively again, but certainly not control wise. You will not regret diving into the game if you have never played it. And if you have, I've found it a joy to revisit.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@steadyingmeat said:

@artisanbreads: Actually, I'm pretty sure they straight up said the Witcher 2 was open world before it came out. I remember a video of them panning the camera out and being all " you can go from here to allll the over over to those mountains " or something along those lines. I can't be arsed to find the video, but I'm pretty sure they were right outside that jail stealth segment if you wanna find it yourself.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong! I just recall them advertising the game as open world from time to time. Not doubting that this game is gonna be truly open world this time, but yeah.

I don't recall that but I can't remember Witcher 2's marketing. They kinda just had the open hubs thing going on, like say Deus Ex had. Either way though, the point stands.

It is the most interesting part of this all. Lets hope they keep the depth of storyline and level you can change everything and still give a big open world. There are reasons other games haven't done this: it's very hard.