• 165 results
Posted by GERALTITUDE (3347 posts) 9 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Are you excited for Thief? (375 votes)

Yes 25%
No 29%
I'm going to buy it, full price 11%
I'm going to buy it, on sale 18%
I have it pre-ordered 9%
PC 22%
PS3 3%
PS4 13%
360 4%
XB1 5%
I'm getting it at some point, but mostly because there are so few games out for next-gen 9%
I'm getting it because I'm a Thief fan! 13%
I'm getting it because I'm an Eidos Montreal fan! 8%
I'm getting it because I'm a stealth fan! 15%
I'm getting it! For some reason! 10%
Thief will be a huge critical and commercial hit and will spawn a sequel 3%
Thief will dissapoint Square Enix but it will be a success by critical standards 9%
Thief will receive mixed reviews, but sell super well 7%
Thief will disappoint on all fronts 14%
Thief will be a classic, and sit alongside its predecessors on the Throne of Stealth 3%
Show me them answers 23%
#1 Posted by Morningstar (2173 posts) -

Not at all.

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4367 posts) -

What now?

#3 Posted by DeadpanCakes (925 posts) -

Never tried the original Thief games, so I'm excited from an intellectual curiosity standpoint. Besides that, I don't expect it to live up to what Thief fans expect, but I'm expecting par for the course with this game, so I'm sure I'll get my hands on it at some point.

But to reiterate, I don't know anything about Thief, old or new, so my expectations of the game are somewhat basic. I'll see when it comes out, I suppose.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21755 posts) -

I was curious at first, despite never playing any of these games before. Although that trailer they shown during VGX kinda deterred me a little... I probably won't have a next-gen console by the time of its release anywhoo, so when the time comes, I'll have plenty of info at hand to make a more rounded decision.

Hypothetically speaking, though, as in if I had the means to play it in the first place (beyond current-gen, because no way otherwise), I would prefer to wait and see the reaction first.

#5 Edited by AMyggen (3131 posts) -

Could you add a few more alternatives to that poll?

To answer the question: not at all. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but what I've seen of it looks bland and boring. Most who has tried the game at some point have said that it was a bad experience, that doesn't help either.

#6 Posted by SunBroZak (1138 posts) -

Assuming it turns out to be the decent stealth game with underwhelming plot that I expect it to be, I'll get it on sale. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. Or turn out to be crap.

#7 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1588 posts) -

Reluctantly excited. Cautiously optimistic?

#8 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2473 posts) -

I'll wait for a steam sale, as usual (given the game is any good).

#9 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4221 posts) -

Sure, Billy!

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11987 posts) -

I...I don't think this is how polls work.

Anyway, my excitement rating is about 3 out of 5. I've played a bit of Thief 1 and I enjoyed what I played. I also enjoyed Human Revolution. Nothing I've seen or heard about the new Thief has really wowed me so far though...

#11 Edited by Vermisean (154 posts) -

Based solely on expectations (mine included), I have a feeling it will be terribly underwhelming.

I'm sort of jealous of the people that haven't played the series - they probably have a better chance of enjoying it... Then again, I am glad I have experienced those games.

#12 Posted by Panelhopper (182 posts) -

When Eidos Montreal came out with Deus Ex, I had a feeling that Thief would be one of the next Eidos property Square Enix would remake. When Deus Ex turned out to be excellent and when I heard Eidos Montreal were at the helm, I became excited. Day one purchase for me.

#13 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3347 posts) -

10 thousand posts and you've never seen a multi poll before? :D

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11987 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

Of course I've seen a multi-poll.

I've never seen a multi-poll.

I've made multi-polls before.

I am not a hamster.

#15 Posted by CornBREDX (5361 posts) -

No. I picked everything though because I'm no good at multiple choice questions.

#16 Posted by believer258 (11948 posts) -

I didn't even know that Eidos Montreal was making it. I'm more interested in it now. I didn't like Deus Ex Human Revolution the first time I played it, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more the second time I went through it. I wouldn't have any problem putting DEHR in one of my top ten games of the generation slots.

I have seen some people who really enjoyed the originals frown on it recently, but I think I'll hold judgment until it comes out and I can actually see a good chunk of the game. Didn't a lot of people dislike what they saw of Human Revolution until they played it?

#17 Posted by BaneFireLord (2941 posts) -

Missing the checkbox for "I might pick it up for seven bucks on Steam at some point, but that's a big maybe."

#18 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3347 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

@beachthunder said:

Of course I've seen a multi-poll.

I've never seen a multi-poll.

I've made multi-polls before.

I am not a hamster.

Exactly what I thought.

I didn't even know that Eidos Montreal was making it. I'm more interested in it now. I didn't like Deus Ex Human Revolution the first time I played it, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more the second time I went through it. I wouldn't have any problem putting DEHR in one of my top ten games of the generation slots.

I have seen some people who really enjoyed the originals frown on it recently, but I think I'll hold judgment until it comes out and I can actually see a good chunk of the game. Didn't a lot of people dislike what they saw of Human Revolution until they played it?

Yeah I think you're right about DEHR - everyone was pretty cynical until they played it. Like you I enjoyed it a lot my second time through. Though unfortunately I never beat it as both my save files went belly up. Maybe I'll reload it this month. Been trying to refresh my memory for GotG.

A lot of my favourite parts of DEHR were dialogue moments and upgrading your abilties. I'm worried that because Thief is seemingly a more, uh, pure and simple game, it might not shine as much. Stealth first-person is already a number of rungs more niche/hard-to-execute than a Tech RPG like DEHR. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

#19 Posted by Guesty_01 (351 posts) -

Yes I can't wait to see how it turns out. Had a lot of fun messing around with the first two games when I was younger.

#20 Posted by Mister_V (1311 posts) -

The footage they showed before the VGX looked good, but everything i have heard from people who have played it has been negative. So i will wait for the reviews to hit before i decide to buy it.

#21 Edited by SlashDance (1818 posts) -

It looks like it could be cool. I'm not expecting a good "spiritual successor" to Thief 2, like Human Revolution was to Deus Ex 1, but it doesn't look terrible.

#22 Edited by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

I will probably pick it up on PS4.

#23 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

The latest trailer makes it look pretty good, but there's too much doubt surrounding the development to get too excited just yet.

#24 Posted by Humanity (9376 posts) -

Yeah sure I like Thief.

#25 Posted by spraynardtatum (3016 posts) -

I've never played a Thief game before but I am a real life thief so I'm interested to see how close this game mirrors that experience.

I'm excited for it. If not just for something to play on my new console. Which I stole.

#26 Edited by believer258 (11948 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Yeah I think you're right about DEHR - everyone was pretty cynical until they played it. Like you I enjoyed it a lot my second time through. Though unfortunately I never beat it as both my save files went belly up. Maybe I'll reload it this month. Been trying to refresh my memory for GotG.

A lot of my favourite parts of DEHR were dialogue moments and upgrading your abilties. I'm worried that because Thief is seemingly a more, uh, pure and simple game, it might not shine as much. Stealth first-person is already a number of rungs more niche/hard-to-execute than a Tech RPG like DEHR. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

That's a good point. Deus Ex Human Revolution's first half was a lot better than its second half. The first half involved a lot of talking your way out of situations and hunting around the environment. It was compelling because the traditional idea of a "level" - i.e. a series of obstacles that you have to overcome - only came around a few times and they were spectacular when they did. The latter half of that game has a lot less talking to people and a lot more traditional "levels". I understand what they were going for - the story's pace had picked up speed and running around town, doing kinda related sidequests made a lot less sense - but not all of the levels that were there were great. Doesn't help that I can only really stand stealth in small doses before I start ninja-murdering everyone else in sight, so maybe I'll like this Thief game a lot more than the people who wanted to see another actual Thief game.

#27 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Oh yeah I am. The game looks great and the most important thing that really bothered me with the old games. There will be no supernatural stuff and monsters. Which is a big big plus in my opinion.

#28 Posted by Nekromantix87 (41 posts) -

I only bought it because I found one of those AMD gold vouchers on eBay for $17. Before that, I wasn't too excited. However, since then, my interest in the game has been slowly rising.

I'm not too sure I ever played any game in the Thief series, but if I haven't, I'm usually down for a decent stealth game.

#29 Edited by chrissedoff (2109 posts) -

Despite Patrick's insistence that this game will suck, I still hold out some hope for it. A lot of critics were down on Deus Ex Human Revolution after a gameplay demo at E3 and it's the same developer. Because I'm such a fan of the old games, I will probably check Thief out at some point down the line, provided it gets at least a faintly positive critical response.

#30 Posted by falserelic (5444 posts) -

Nah...I'll pass.

#31 Posted by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

Where's the: "uhhhh.... maybe?" option?

#32 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I am concerned that it will be shitty in the way Hitman Absolution was shitty. In that they fix what ain't broke in service of modernizing the series, which then results in a product that appeals to no one in particular and pisses me off as a fan of the original games. Blegh! xp

I also dispute the success of Deus Ex reboot game. That game seems to get a great deal of mileage out of rarely being actively terrible. It is in no way comparable to the original Deus Ex.

#33 Edited by JCTango (1363 posts) -

Hell yeah I am excited for Thief :).

I loves me some stealth games ;D

#34 Edited by AlexGBRO (298 posts) -

hmm this has had some trouble in the dev, i think when it was first revealed is was to be a next-gen and pc game i think, also they already did something stupid (at the vgx they said that gamestop will have an exclusive mission in the game) also i there is the question how long it will be for some people (deus ex:hr had a good length i hope Theif is similar 10-12 would be great)

#35 Edited by von_wemberg (166 posts) -

Going to buy it at some point. Loved the first, second and third, perhaps will like this one as well... And I'm kind of deliberately staying away from any kind of coverage at this point.

#36 Edited by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

No.

@darji said:

Oh yeah I am. The game looks great and the most important thing that really bothered me with the old games. There will be no supernatural stuff and monsters. Which is a big big plus in my opinion.

According to the last trailer, the very first thing that happens in the story is your partner getting sucked into a magical vortex of bullshit, which will probably end with her coming out of it as a monster.

#37 Edited by joshwent (2218 posts) -

Despite Patrick's insistence that this game will suck, I still hold out some hope for it.

There's a lot of press currently about the bad affects of Hype in games writing and reviewing, but no one ever discusses negative hype. When Super Mario 3D World was discussed before it came out, the best people would say is, "New Mario games are okay, but they're just all the same. Nintendo refuses to do anything new. I'll pass." And now those same people who gave it a judgmental shrug are saying it's one of the best games of the year.

I think Jeff is one of the last game writers who, despite his lovable jadedness, consistently checks himself and adds a legit, "Maybe it'll be great", about games he's down on before release.

So Thief... maybe it'll be great! ;)

#38 Posted by AlexGBRO (298 posts) -

The most sad thing that could become reality is that Theif could be a good/great game but it underperformes in sales and i SE will not accept to put money in a second game

#39 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1501 posts) -

I hope it's good, love the Thief franchise. Patrick wasn't too fond of it at E3, but then again he thought Dishonored was some earth-shattering paradigm-shift for the stealth genre whereas I'd say it's maybe on the level of Thief 3 with a bad story and terrible characters.

#40 Edited by RazielCuts (2960 posts) -

I'll go for the 'I've never really played a Thief game before apart from Thief: Deadly Shadows which I bought in a Steam sale and played for about half an hour and thought it was alright. I really liked Human Revolution and Dishonored so if this turns out well I may get it on sale' option of the poll.

So maybe?

#41 Edited by jkz (4031 posts) -

I can't handle this poll.

I hope it's good, I really do, because I love Thief as a franchise...but I dunno man. We'll see

#42 Posted by Legion_ (1301 posts) -

How come always when there's a poll on the internet, the negative options always get more votes? Get your life togheter people.

#43 Posted by Cybertification (203 posts) -

I don't think it will be worth playing since we already have 3 great Thief games and The Dark Mod, and if it can't top that, what's the point of playing it?

#44 Edited by kishinfoulux (2348 posts) -

Despite Patrick's insistence that this game will suck, I still hold out some hope for it. A lot of critics were down on Deus Ex Human Revolution after a gameplay demo at E3 and it's the same developer. Because I'm such a fan of the old games, I will probably check Thief out at some point down the line, provided it gets at least a faintly positive critical response.

Hate that he has to bring that up every time he has a chance. Yes we get it. You played a build and didn't like it. Things can change.

#45 Edited by Disaya (290 posts) -

I have a feeling that it's not going to be that great and the reactions to it so far haven't been the best. But I love the thief series so I still can't wait to play it. I really want to play in on the new consoles but I doubt I'll have one by then so it looks like I'm going to have to wait to get it.

#46 Posted by mlarrabee (2967 posts) -

I already bought it.

Not really, unfortunately.

#47 Posted by Xeiphyer (5605 posts) -

So many answers and none of them mine!

I'll be waiting to see more about the game before possibly picking it up.

#48 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2414 posts) -

Not really. It looks like one of those games I'll buy when it's on sale and I won't get to completing it for years.

Also holy balls that's a lot of poll options.

#49 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@ghostiet said:

No.

@darji said:

According to the last trailer, the very first thing that happens in the story is your partner getting sucked into a magical vortex of bullshit, which will probably end with her coming out of it as a monster.

But according to the developers there will be no monster bullshit..... IF there is I will be really really disappointed...

#50 Edited by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

Yes of course, it's been a while since those last Thief games. And they were quite unique in their way. If they can recapture at least some of what made those great, I'll be happy.

I would like the eecent trend of decent return of old series that at least recognize what made those games interesting to people to continue ala Xcom, Deus Ex. Unlike total departures for example of Fallout 3 or Syndicate.