Anyone who bought an XBone for Titanfall feeling ripped off?

• 54 results
Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I'm just curious, having seen the screens and video of the Xbox 360 version and Xbox One, I can see very little difference between the two versions of Titanfall. There are a few texture issues and a little bit of smoothness, but it doesn't seem like a generational leap. I know a lot of people who get the next generation of consoles get it so they can play the newest, latest, best and take part in the conversation, but I also know a bunch of people got the XBone so they could specifically play Titanfall. I'm just wondering how people who got the system exclusively for Titanfall feel about it now that the 360 version is out and, apparently, feature matched to the next-ge... current-gen game.

Anyone feeling a bit ripped off, or am I reading into this a bit too much? As a note, I don't have an Xbox One and haven't played Titanfall myself.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Nothing will seem like a generational leap until a year from now, probably. Don't know why everyone is freaking out the past 5 months about the new consoles. I remember being disappointed with my PS2 for a whole year (until Devil May Cry came out). If people were concerned about wasting money on a new system for a not-so-shiney new game, they should have waited for the 360 version or got the PC version. The people who got the Xbone for Titanfall did it because they just wanted any excuse to get it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

Titanfall probably isn't the best example, it doesn't look stunning on any platform. When it comes to multiplatform titles, maybe Battlefield 4 is a better game to compare with? But any multiplatform title will obviously be limited in what it does, since it has been made to also run previous gen consoles. You'll do best waiting for the platform exclusives to show up, people seem happy with Infamous on the PS4 now, I'm sure an Xone exclusive is coming up soon too.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You... bought a 500$ console that is not a Playstation 4, for Titanfall?

Good going, man. Microsoft loves you.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fisk0  Moderator

I expect he would've been even more disappointed had he bought the PS4 for Titanfall, considering the PS3 and PS4 versions were cancelled.

SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@singingmenstrual said:

I expect he would've been even more disappointed had he bought the PS4 for Titanfall, considering the PS3 and PS4 versions were cancelled.

Rofl.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By veektarius

@fisk0: Also, because if he paid $500 for a Playstation, he'd be getting ripped off. Though apparently some retailers are doing that.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EXTomar

I'm not going to say anything about the quality of TitanFall but there is "fatigue" across the whole genre. I will not be surprised if the next big game like Call of Duty is universally given a "meh" regardless of its quality.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nah, as an Xbone user it doesn't bother me that the game is available on other platforms. That seems incredibly petty in my opinion.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yeah, It doesn't matter what game it is, it's never a good idea to buy a new console for a single title.

TenStoryMother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, glad I purchased the system and thoroughly enjoying the game.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No, it is still the better version compared to the 360. Also I didn't get an Xbox One just for Titanfall anyways.

I do think it was a very calculated move by Microsoft to have it release a month after the Xbox One version.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By falserelic

Yeah, It doesn't matter what game it is, it's never a good idea to buy a new console for a single title.

I learned this lesson when I bought a gamecube just for the RE games.

Loading Video...

At the sametime I didn't regret too much. Since the remake of RE was just too aswome. I did play other games that was ok, but the majority of the games were kiddy and didn't interests me. Anyway as for Titanfall I can't say I'm surprise at all. That's probably why they didn't release it at the sametime when the pc and xbone versions dropped, and then again they probably wanted to increase the sales for the xbone.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fisk0  Moderator

@extomar said:

I'm not going to say anything about the quality of TitanFall but there is "fatigue" across the whole genre. I will not be surprised if the next big game like Call of Duty is universally given a "meh" regardless of its quality.

Apart from fatigue (personally I think Titanfall is pretty fun), I just don't think it's a good looking game. It looks a lot like all other Infinity Ward games since at least Call of Duty 4, has a pretty boring color palette and their trademark shaders that makes everything look weird and plastic. I think the last gen ports of Crysis and Battlefield looked much better.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait. What videos are you watching? The Quick Look had me thinking the 360 version looked like trash. Like, worse than most modern games coming out for the 360. The ground was one blurry mess, the text was all illegible, it ran poorly, and suffered really fucking bad pop-in. From what I saw of the XB1 version, only what's on this site, it looked damn good. I mean, not the best looking game on these new platforms, but certainly a step ahead of what we saw on the previous generation. It's not a generational leap, but that really impressive stuff always comes a little later on. Wait until we get to the Uncharted 2 and Gears of War of this generation.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

Just from what I saw in the Quick Look, there is quite a big gap between the 360 and the Xbox One versions of Titanfall. The 360 version looks flat, it doesn't "pop", it looks like something that came out a little after Quake IV. On the other hand, it seems like my initial fears that the framerate would be bad seem unfounded. It looks like a totally serviceable, totally OK version of the game that should be A-OK for anyone without a PC or Xbox One. You're definitely getting a pretty good leap in visuals and framerate with those other two, though.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RetroMetal

I was against the XB1 before I was for it.

I've had the PS4 since launch and was determined to hold off on purchasing an XB1 until there was some major price reduction. Titanfall is not 'why' I bought the XB1, but it was the only thing I really wanted for it currently. All the other multiplatform titles I wanted I already own on the PS4.

That said, I don't feel 'ripped off' at all. Because I know I bought it for other titles later on.

Also, I freaking dig the interface... it's sexy as hell... it's got... swagger, I guess is the best way I can describe it. The PS4 interface is barren and boring now that I've experienced both. I still love the PS4 more, but interacting with the XB1 is freaking cool.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent £800 on a new PC for Titanfall and I don't regret it. The Xbone and PC versions run at 60fps and look significantly better in my opinion. It's also an investment for the future.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fisk0: Also, because if he paid $500 for a Playstation, he'd be getting ripped off. Though apparently some retailers are doing that.

IF he's living outside the US, he might be paying even upwards of $600 for a PS4!

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

You... apparently cannot read my original post. Last line is literally, "As a note, I don't have an Xbox One and haven't played Titanfall myself." I was merely curious about the feelings towards all this, not trying to start a flame war (which I know is impossible because people feel the need to start console wars about fucking everything on the interwebs). I don't have either of the two current gen systems because no game has enticed me enough to get one of them yet, though I'm sure I'll eventually get both. I'll honestly probably get a Wii U before the XBone or PS4 for Smash Bros and Mario Kart because those games are usually a blast to play with my friends.

As for everyone else, thanks for the input, it seems this isn't that big a deal, I was just curious. I agree we won't see anything that justifies the new hardware for a year or so, much as the marketing has tried to pump up the games coming out now and I'm sure it'll only get worse come E3.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

Well it's pretty dumb to have bought a console for Call of Duty 1.5, it's the very definition of a last gen game on a next gen system.

...I use next gen system lightly, 720P and not a consistent 60 fps, good one Respawn.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think people buying a console for a single game are always going to be disappointed.

NecroMongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generic_username: I've gotten many consoles for a single - at the time - title. A NES for SMB a SNES for Zelda etc. Not disappointed in the slightest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say if you can't appreciate the leap in technology between the two generations the xb1 and ps4 aren't really for you. Especially so in the case of these two games because the graphical gap is huge.

Do I think Titanfall is a good value at 60 dollars, though? No. So as a value for 450 to 500 dollars I think you're getting scammed pretty hard. If this is the type of game you like, however, and you want to play it on a console and not a pc the xb1 version is the one to get regardless of if you bought the console exclusively for it.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: Everything you say is stupid. Just thought you should know.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

If anything, that's not the reason I would feel ripped off.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a fun game. I don't feel ripped off. I bought an xbox for the long haul. Titanfall is great game and it's worth the time and money. I'm waiting on the PS4 till uncharted. Then I will have to own both. However, that might be a few years. Come on Naughty Dog.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a really good side-by-side comparison on the Eurogamer site. the 360 version looks like I've smeared some vaseline on my eyeballs when comparing it to the xbone version. The GB quick looks also showed a huge difference between the 2 xbox versions to me.

I am getting sorely tempted to join the next gen with recent UK further reductions on Amazon that have lowered the Titanfall bundle to £349 (reduced from £389 and originally at £429). This price is now the same in the UK as a PS4 with no game.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sooty

@jsnyder82 said:

I feel so wounded right now.

@diz said:

There is a really good side-by-side comparison on the Eurogamer site. the 360 version looks like I've smeared some vaseline on my eyeballs when comparing it to the xbone version. The GB quick looks also showed a huge difference between the 2 xbox versions to me.

I am getting sorely tempted to join the next gen with recent UK further reductions on Amazon that have lowered the Titanfall bundle to £349 (reduced from £389 and originally at £429). This price is now the same in the UK as a PS4 with no game.

There's a difference but I think it's mostly because it's just a port, there's a pretty big difference between the Xbone and PC versions of the game too.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan said:

Whether we want to admit it to other people or keep it to ourselves, everyone has a game that pushes them into one console over the other. I don't understand where this sentiment you express came from.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
@oldirtybearon said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

Whether we want to admit it to other people or keep it to ourselves, everyone has a game that pushes them into one console over the other. I don't understand where this sentiment you express came from.

Huh, really? I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. Of course there's going to be games that push us over the edge to finally pick up a console, but it's usually backed up by an increasingly attractive catalog of games. I mean, I wanted to play Fire Emblem awakening for the 3ds, but I didn't buy it only for that game. There were other games like Luigi's mansion and Pokemon X to back it up. I made sure I wanted to buy into the console's future and not just for a single game.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CatsAkimbo

Titanfall is fantastic. I picked up an xbox just for it, and I've hardly watched any Giant Bomb since it's come out because it's taken up most of my free time. Competitive shooters are "my jam" though, so I can understand why you'd be disappointed if you're looking for co-op or story or some other crap.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hosstile17

I loooove my Xbox One. I like my PS4. But, I thought inFamous was a bit of a letdown. I loved how it looked. The mission structure just wasn't interesting.

This always happens. These consoles are new. I have purchased every new console at launch since the Dreamcast. Give it 8-12 months and these boxes will be rockin.

Also, Titanfall is super dope.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy didn't read the original post and instead jumped to conclusions

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably would have bought an Xbox One for TitanFall and then waited for Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive. Since I have a PC, I didn't have to buy one anyways and just wait for more games to come out instead.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Grelik

If you bought a console with the sole purpose and intent of playing one game. Then yes, please feel free to feel ripped off. Besides, the graphics are good even on PC, but lets be honest, they're not blowing anyone away.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@themanwithnoplan said:

It's something I've done, and it wasn't a good idea. I bought the 3DS back when it was a barren wasteland for games on the promise of a new Paper Mario game. Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the single most disappointing title I own for the system. Thankfully the 3DS has a badass catalogue now, but the disappointment I felt about that particular game was only made stronger by the knowledge that that game was why I bought the system in the first place.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe, I don't know, don't buy a console for a single game?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By veektarius

@oldirtybearon: I've had single games inspire me to a PC upgrade, but never a console purchase... considering the relative costs, I guess I shouldn't mark that as a point of pride.

SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SingingMenstrual

@singingmenstrual said:

I did it so people can learn from my mistakes.

Learn..from..meeeee.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought a X1, but could not care less about Titanfall. So far, my system is sitting there largely unused next to my PS4. I do want to play Quantum Break though.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Captain_Insano

@singingmenstrual said:

That said the very title of this post seems intentionally inflammatory and encouraging the wrong conclusion to be reached. The little bit at the end of the OP (oh, also I don't have an Xbox ONE and am just curious) is like me posting a thread:

"Anyone think that the New York Yankees don't suck?".

P.s I don't watch baseball, support any team and am in fact from another country, but I'm just curious.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny - most of the same people who insist that Titanfall looks the same on the 360 and One are the same ones who can always see the smaller difference between the Xbox One and PS4 and will rail against the "Xbox 720p"... If your eyes are bad enough that you can't see the difference in the Titanfall versions, then they're also bad enough not to care about uprezzed 900p...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@sooty said:

@jsnyder82 said:

I feel so wounded right now.

@diz said:

There's a difference but I think it's mostly because it's just a port, there's a pretty big difference between the Xbone and PC versions of the game too.

Yeah, I think it's notable that the only difference is texture resolution, shader and over all screen resolution. There is no difference at all in geometric complexity - the player's hands, and the general map layouts look equally blocky across all platforms, it's not like the step from Xbox one to 360, like the launch games Peter Jackson's King Kong, Need for Speed: Most Wanted or Battlefield 2: Modern Combat where we started seeing more details in models and environments.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

It's funny - most of the same people who insist that Titanfall looks the same on the 360 and One are the same ones who can always see the smaller difference between the Xbox One and PS4 and will rail against the "Xbox 720p"... If your eyes are bad enough that you can't see the difference in the Titanfall versions, then they're also bad enough not to care about uprezzed 900p...

It's also funny that most of the same people who insist that Titanfall is a big improvement on The One compared to the 360 are the same ones who say the Xbox One and PS4 multiplats look the same. It's like their eyes are good enough to tell the difference between Titanfall versions, but bad enough to refuse that there is a difference between PS4 and Xbone.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are paying $500 to jump from low (360) to medium (XB1) settings. On a PC that would be going from low to ultra (4k @60fps) if you spent $500 on a GPU.

The XB1 is and will always be just a bad value proposition.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got Xbone for Christmas. Never really played a modern shooter. Loved Ryse Loved Dead Rising. Loving Titanfall. Finally actually feeling like Xbone wasn't a rip off.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'd had the money, I would have been very, very tempted to buy an Xbox One for Titanfall. It looked like the game that was going to tip me over the edge of getting a 'current-gen' system, along with the promise of weird stuff like Quantum Break alongside my long standing affection for the Forza series (5 is the first I have not bought so far). Good job that Dark Souls 2 came along when it did.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

First of all, if you're simply looking for the best graphics, you're doing it in the wrong spot by looking at a fairly large-scale multiplayer-only game. For example, Forza 5 is a freaking beautiful game, and is arguably the best-looking game to come out on either new console so far. (Ryse is no graphical slouch either.) Additionally, it seems extremely "flame war" to try and trash a game you haven't played on a console you don't own, especially with a ludicrous claim that the 360/X1 versions look similar when they're nothing but per this very website. I'm tired of all this graphical niggling garbage anyway. We're all well-aware of the 1080p vs. 900p kind of stuff at this point. If you want the best console graphics, get a PS4. If you'd rather sacrifice a minor bit of processing power for the ability to effortlessly switch between TV and gaming, use handy voice controls, et al., get an Xbox One. If you're truly a graphics whore, you shouldn't play games on anything other than a high-end PC anyway. And finally, making a blanket assumption on an entire console based on one game, especially on this early in the console's life, is utterly inane.