• 111 results
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

It never occurred to me that this might be a limitation, but I'm seeing Titanfall spammed on Origin.

Will this influence anyone's choice of purchasing the game at all? I planned to get it on console and PC, but I'm reconsidering as I don't care for Origin at all for both reasons of principle and practice. (And, while I encourage more competition in the digital library arena to keep things progressing and improving across the board, I believe this should be done on the basis of service, price, interface and not by segregating actual content -- like a grocery store).

I mean, man, just imagine if they're going to stuff the Battlefield server browser thing into it? Meh. Also, I'm having a real hard time considering ever giving money through the Origin platform after the Sim City fiasco.. all that money for a game that I couldn't stomach beyond five hours. I don't buy a lot of EA games (since they only put out a couple per year that aren't sports or facebook games, anyway) but I can't swear off all of EA games entirely . . . swearing off Origin purchases as much as possible is about the most realistic stand I can take. :)

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Like every other EA game since Valve changed their DLC policies, it'll probably be available for purchase on virtually every DD service that isn't Steam as an Origin code.

And no, this won't influence my purchase at all. Origin is a completely competent service that I have no qualms about using. I also think Battlelog is a perfectly fine interface for Battlefield 3 and wouldn't mind in the slightest if the PC version was integrated with it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Branthog

Like every other EA game since Valve changed their DLC policies, it'll probably be available for purchase on virtually every DD service that isn't Steam as an Origin code.

And no, this won't influence my purchase at all. Origin is a completely competent service that I have no qualms about using. I also think Battlelog is a perfectly fine interface for Battlefield 3 and wouldn't mind in the slightest if the PC version was integrated with it.

Origin is a competent service, but I have an aversion to retailers competing on exclusivity. I go to the grocery store that provides the best customer service, prices, and has the nicest cashiers and shopping carts and clean aisles and fresh produce -- but all the grocery stores generally carry the exact same product.

Digital markets should all offer the same complete variety of products and compete on their core competencies, instead of locking down things people really want and have to cave into getting through you.

I'm sure it'll come down to six hours before the game unlocks and I'll cave in, but I won't be proud of myself for it.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdoms of Amalur was an EA Partners game, like Titanfall, which had its own Steam release. Crysis 2 also got a Steam re-release (but not Crysis 3.)

I would put money on Titanfall being an Origin exclusive but there is potential and precedent for Partners games coming to Steam.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I'll only guy on steam, gog and amazon

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When are you people gonna shut up about it? Yeah, if it's EA it's only gonna be on fucking Origin.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Uh huh, honey.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

ooooooooooooohhh, yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah

sssssssssss....

not sure how I feel about that

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wont buy it regardless where it comes out ... I have room for only 1 multiplayer FPS and that will be alocated towards Destiny

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Meh. I didn't mind booting up Origin in order to play BF3.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thatdutchguy

lol

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

origin is fine, i get good speeds but battlelog can suck my dick.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On PC, for games of this scale they claim they are going for I would rather they not depend on this style of third party tech. It would be like requiring to login to Steam to play WoW.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By mclargepants

There is nothing wrong with Origin, except that it's a different DD thing. I actually like it in a lot of ways, in particular the way it handles DLC is so much better than how Steam does it. So no it won't affect my decision at all. The game seems pretty rad, so I'll probably get it day one.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It will probably be and it won't affect my purchase. I've got nothing against Origin really.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everytime I seen TitanFall I can't help but think of Pacific Rim now..

No Caption Provided

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

I already have Origin, Uplay and Steam on my PC. I don't mind having all of these installed, so exclusively won't be an issue.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeJFlick

I bought BF3 on Origin, won't make that mistake again, I can live without titan fall.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is stupid. Who cares? If the game is good, get it. This is like those idiots voting EA as the worst company on the planet. Get over it. And @mclargepants : Agreed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OurSin_360

Probably, but since it's a xbone exclusive(at least timed) I wouldn't suggest putting it on origin only and cut down on PC sales even more.

zzzellyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zzzellyn

@rebgav said:

@friendlyphoenix said:

Kingdoms of Amalur was an EA Partners game, like Titanfall, which had its own Steam release. Crysis 2 also got a Steam re-release (but not Crysis 3.)

I would put money on Titanfall being an Origin exclusive but there is potential and precedent for Partners games coming to Steam.

Comparing KoA and Crysis 2 to more recent exclusives doesn't really work. Crysis 2 was released well before Origin became a thing (ignoring the awfulness that was EADM) and KoA came out shortly after, but was in development long before. Neither of those games really had a chance to integrate with Origin the way stuff like BF3, ME3, etc. have.

The biggest reason why a game only comes out on Steam is because of Steamworks, the Steam SDK for stuff like DLC storefront, cloudsaves, and achievements. Integrating a game with an SDK is a huge task and doing it twice for two platforms is a pain. Hell, it's more like four platforms (360, PS3, Steam and Origin).

For newer Origin games like Crysis 3, Most Wanted (Hot Pursuit is still on Steam, mind), etc. they are now fully integrated with Origin's SDK so expecting them to go cross-platform once a deluxe edition comes out...well, it's kind of a pipedream.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HazeAI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer, yeah, the origin exclusivity thing didn't occur to me until this morning. I was pretty excited to play Titanfall, but I refuse to install Origin or Uplay. I have a 360 but won't pay for Live, and I'm not buying any future consoles. Looks like I'm SOL on Titanfall, oh well, plenty of other games to play.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Well, Kingdoms of amalur was on Steam. I sure hope it comes to steam.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Justin258

@branthog said:

@friendlyphoenix said:

Origin is a competent service, but I have an aversion to retailers competing on exclusivity. I go to the grocery store that provides the best customer service, prices, and has the nicest cashiers and shopping carts and clean aisles and fresh produce -- but all the grocery stores generally carry the exact same product.

Digital markets should all offer the same complete variety of products and compete on their core competencies, instead of locking down things people really want and have to cave into getting through you.

I'm sure it'll come down to six hours before the game unlocks and I'll cave in, but I won't be proud of myself for it.

I know this is an old post, but I do have a response to your grocery store analogy.

Say you're in Grocery Store A. It's a fantastic grocery store, but you really want some Pop-Tarts. Grocery Store A simply doesn't carry Pop-Tarts for whatever reason. So why not go to Grocery Store B? They do have Pop-Tarts but they don't quite have the same level of service that A does. What's wrong with going to B?

Digital markets are unfortunately going to be a part of PC gaming (and gaming in general, with console exclusivity) for a long time, probably. Look on the bright side - having to keep Origin installed for a game or two is way better than having to buy three consoles for all of their exclusives. Though, I'll probably buy all the consoles when I'm out of college and get a real job anyway.

@forcen said:

Well, Kingdoms of amalur was on Steam. I sure hope it comes to steam.

If I'm not mistaken, Kingdoms of Amalur is a special case for some reason.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Ghostiet

@believer258 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Kingdoms of Amalur is a special case for some reason.

It was self-published on Steam by 38 Studios on their insistence. EA handled the release on other platforms.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Immortal_Guy

When Half Life: Episode 3 comes to origin, then it's fair to start complaining that EA's games aren't on steam. I'm not saying that this sort of exclusivity isn't a problem, but Valve is guilty of it as much as EA is.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think it's super weird that Steam still has Steam sales for EA games.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm not putting spyware on my PC, not even for Titanfall. There's a reason EA is the worst company in the world.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

Yeah, I'm not putting spyware on my PC, not even for Titanfall. There's a reason EA is the worst company in the world.

Blackwater's got nothing on EA Shitware.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Bollard

I think they confirmed Titanfall would be Origin only to start. Origin works fine and I am happy to use it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By spraynardtatum

Origin is a butthole. Mostly because it's another crappy password I have to reset every time I want to play something.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boycotting Titanfall because of Origin? LOL.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hope it's only on Origin, in fact I really want all publishers to start there own service and only have their games on it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Addendum: LOL.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011: Why? That sounds like a huge mess. You'd need 20 different usernames and passwords and it'd require everyone to have a knowledge of all the different publishers that made each game.

Having one single location seems more convenient to me.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how some people actually complain about Origin and how EA is gathering all sorts of data about how you use your PC and the information you give it.
But when Steam, Chrome, Skype, Windows, Linux, Whatever the Apple os is called this minute, and whatever else you can find on whatever system you have it's all fine and dandy.

I didn't think a perspective was a hard thing to get but apparantly it is.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't mind Origin. It was and still is a minor inconvenience, but if I want a game bad enough I'll play it however I have to. Unless the service is really terrible. Like, some buy the game and only be able to install it once crap, or somethin.

Anyways, I used it for Mass Effect 3 and I'll probably use it for Dragon Age 3 and Titanfall.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre: chances are if you have some sort of device capable of accessing Giant Bomb you have "spyware" all over it.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp. Can't play it then.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boycotting Titanfall because of Origin? LOL.

More like boycotting Origin because of Origin and not playing Titanfall as a result. LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't understand the hate for Origin. It feels like it's just disgusting fanboyism for Valve. I've yet to hear one reasonable complaint against Origin that doesn't also apply to Steam/Uplay/Desura/*insert other DD clients here*.

Also, why do we always refer to EA games as "Origin-only", but the countless Steamworks games aren't referred to as "Steam-only"?

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's on the Xbox One as well

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't understand the hate for Origin. It feels like it's just disgusting fanboyism for Valve. I've yet to hear one reasonable complaint against Origin that doesn't also apply to Steam/Uplay/Desura/*insert other DD clients here*.

Also, why do we always refer to EA games as "Origin-only", but the countless Steamworks games aren't referred to as "Steam-only"?

Similar to Steam, it was pretty crappy at first, but it seems to be pretty stable now. I don't mind it, but I would prefer if I had all of my digital games in one place instead of spread among multiple services.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Origin as a platform is perfectly fine.......

But it's EA so I MUST HATE IT

GRRRRRRRR EA why did you kill Lassy you MONSTERS?!?! Worst company (or CUNTany) in the world 2014 LOLOL *15year old activist post acting like facts but is actually opinion and facts lost in translation* BRB I'm off to listen to Jake Bugg because POP MUSIC ISNT REAL MUSIC.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss

Why wouldn't it be? Regardless of what we think of them, at some point we're going to have to understand that the company that releases like, 100 games a day deserves to sell them via their own store.

Funny how we hate Gamestop for making money off of other people's work, hate Microsoft for making money off of other people's work but if someone even suggests that they might not give Valve a cut of their take we're all like "They hate videogames!!!!"