• 57 results
#1 Edited by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

"It comes down to quality, not quantity. We have a fantastic relationship with Microsoft. It just boiled down to, okay, how can we hit this as hard as can and get it on as many platforms as possible and deliver the quality, the 60 hertz, out of the gate? That was the goal."

1. PS4 has the same x86 architecture as the XONE & PC.
  2. PS4 is very probably more powerful than the XONE, if not, at the very least, equally as powerful.
  3. Countless developers have said it's not even 1/10th the effort/development time to transfer the code to any given platform this generation.

So with all that in mind, what is actually stopping a PS4 version of Titanfall? Was the 'We have a fantastic relationship with Microsoft' sentence just read-between-the-lines code for:

'Look guys, we are a new studio with a new IP; Microsoft are giving us some guaranteed cash right off the bat. Just chillax, we'll have an 'enhanced edition' ready for PS4 as soon as Microsoft's contract says we can.'

#2 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

You just answered your own question.

#3 Posted by cloudnineboya (821 posts) -

That was pointless .

#4 Posted by Chaser324 (6547 posts) -

Yeah, you answered your own question. They're a new studio that could probably use some upfront capital, and Microsoft was willing to get behind their pedigree and provide them with some funding to in exchange for some sort of exclusivity window.

#5 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

Surely I must be missing something. Surely it can't be this rotten.

#6 Edited by Zaccheus (1794 posts) -

Well that's all wrapped up then.

#7 Posted by Dark (381 posts) -

WWAAIIITTT a second here, are you saying that console manufacturers are giving money hats to developers?

ALERT TEH PRESSEZZZ!

#8 Edited by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

You made a funny. :D

#9 Posted by Chaser324 (6547 posts) -

@jasonleeson: What do you find so rotten about it? New studios need money. Microsoft was willing and able to provide some, but of course, they expect something in exchange for that investment. That's the way business is done.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

An exchange of goods and/or services for monetary gain.

#11 Posted by audioBusting (1549 posts) -

Well, they have to pay their bills somehow.

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Surely I must be missing something. Surely it can't be this rotten.

Rotten? Its called business...

#13 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

@chaser324: Totally agree with everything you just said, only applied to their publisher EA. Publishers investing upfront for a return feels like legit business.

However, Microsoft paying for it not to come out on PS4 out the gate feels fucked this generation. Last gen there was kind of an excuse with CELL vs. PowerPC...there was a legit technical reason for games to focus on one platform. This time it's pure money. That's my issue.

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@chaser324:

However, Microsoft paying for it not to come out on PS4 out the gate feels fucked this generation. Last gen there was kind of an excuse with CELL vs. PowerPC...there was a

legit technical reason

for games to focus on one platform. This time it's

pure money

. That's my issue.

But its ok for Sony to buy exclusives?

#15 Edited by Chaser324 (6547 posts) -

@jasonleeson: Even though cross gen development is far easier because of the similar architectures, you still don't get the PS4 version for free when you develop an Xbox One game or vice versa.

At the end of the day though, it really is just business. Microsoft didn't swindle or coerce Respawn into this deal. Respawn did the math and decided the exclusivity window was worth it for the investment. Developing AAA games isn't getting any cheaper.

#16 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

They're done with P2P multiplayer, and Microsoft made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you can’t get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

#17 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -
#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Now now, I didn't say that.

You HEAVILY implied that. You think stuff PS4 on it exclusive/timed they did not pay for?

#19 Edited by Morningstar (2161 posts) -
#20 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1791 posts) -

I'd bet money that Respawn / EA approached Microsoft, and not the other way around, but the game is also coming to the PC, so it's not like you need to get an Xbone.

@the_laughing_man said:

But its ok for Sony to buy exclusives?

It's only okay if your team does it. You know how that works.

#21 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

@chaser324: I guess I'm just bummed that EA couldn't put up the cash to get it out on PS4/XONE/PC day-and-date and just let the chips fall where they may (in terms of what system people decide to buy on the strength of it. I'm not one of those people, but they are certainly out there.)

It's interesting to take a purely analytic look at: Where the fuck is the line actually drawn between what's classed as a straight up bribe and a next-gen 3rd party exclusivity deal. That shit starts to get real grey area.

#23 Edited by RawknRo11a (564 posts) -

Yea, it's a "timed exclusive". They happen all the time, don't know why so many people are confused...

#24 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@chaser324:

I guess I'm just bummed that EA couldn't put up the cash to get it out on PS4/XONE/PC day-and-date and just let the chips fall where they may (in terms of what system people decide to buy on the strength of it. I'm not one of those people, but they are certainly out there.)

It's interesting to take a purely analytic look at: Where the fuck is the line actually drawn between what's classed as a

straight up bribe

and a next-gen 3rd party exclusivity deal. That shit starts to get real grey area.

Here's the thing: Respawn is an independent studio. Their deal with EA is like that of the EA Partners stuff. Their funding had to come from somewhere, and Microsoft stepped up and either made an offer, or bested Sony's offer.

I would bet that it came down to choosing a horse to back. Sony picked Bungie and MS picked Respawn. Granted, what MS gets out their deal is considerably greater than what Sony is getting with Destiny, but they each want a flagship multiplayer game, and they each chose a different game

#25 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

I doubt EA would publish the game on PS4 after the exclusivity window closes. I mean, they want to be loyal and surely they don't need any more money? Right? Right?

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

Hold the phone here...a console exclusive?

What?

Dude, what???

Shut it down video games are DONE

#27 Posted by mano521 (1224 posts) -

Are you seriously asking why there are console exclusives?

Am i allowed to bitch about not being able to play The Last of Us? What the fuck naughty dog?! why not just make it for xbox?! This guy said its super easy!

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

Is Titanfall the new Bayonetta 2? Should I expect petitions on change.org soon?

#29 Posted by senrat (323 posts) -

What the hell are you trying to say? Microsoft got an exclusive franchise. Is their something wrong with that?

#30 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

Man, it's like the reality of business are something for Respawn to consider...

#31 Edited by Chaser324 (6547 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Soon? I'm sure hundreds of Titanfall on PS4 online petitions have already been created and summarily dismissed.

#32 Posted by StarvingGamer (8246 posts) -

For-profit businesses making decisions based on money? Outrage!

#33 Edited by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

I totally get that it's business. But I just wish there was a developer out there with the balls to admit it.

Fuck all this 'We're so exited to bring our fans the BLA BLA BLA'. Just straight up come out and say 'People are gonna buy the fuck outta this game. We predict a metric fuckton of cash all up in our faces by the end of this fiscal year.'

Is there a company like that anywhere?

#34 Edited by Andorski (5310 posts) -

I totally get that it's business. But I just wish there was a developer out there with the balls to admit it.

Fuck all this 'We're so exited to bring our fans the BLA BLA BLA'. Just straight up come out and say 'People are gonna buy the fuck outta this game. We predict a metric fuckton of cash all up in our faces by the end of this fiscal year.'

Is there a company like that anywhere?

You don't garner good business relations by taking money from the hands of one company and spitting in their face by saying "we're going to promote the fact that we will try to release on your competitor's platform."

#35 Edited by Sinusoidal (1520 posts) -

It's the same story with any exclusive these days. Especially in the light of just how similar the consoles of this generation, and the next are. The only incentive for a developer to create an exclusive game is for the maker of that console to subsidize them the income they are losing by not putting it on multiple platforms. Unless you're talking small indie developer who might not be able to publish on more than one platform due to lack of porting ability or monetary considerations.

#36 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Since it is EA publishing, the good thing is that it is probably just a matter of a year or so before it comes to PS4, which still sucks sort of a dick.

The more relevant concern though is now long can Respawn keep EA at bay? How long before Titanfall 2 gets consumed by the incredible blandless that permeates every EA game ever. Just thinking of Dead Space 3 and Fuse sends chills down my spine man. Not even talking about the free to play microtransaction nicke and diming hell either, which will almost certainly become a giant problem some time in the future as well.

#37 Posted by pweidman (2336 posts) -

Buy an Xbone duder if you wanna play Titanfall so bad. :)

#38 Posted by Hunkulese (2725 posts) -

@jasonleeson: Respawn wants money to make their game. Microsoft wants a game that will sell consoles. They come to an agreement where everyone wins. What exactly is shady about the whole thing? I'm not sure where you're from but over here in North America we're not really that pumped about communism.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Soon? I'm sure hundreds of Titanfall on PS4 online petitions have already been created and summarily dismissed.

You know, you're right. What was I thinking?

@jasonleeson said:

@chaser324:

I guess I'm just bummed that EA couldn't put up the cash to get it out on PS4/XONE/PC day-and-date and just let the chips fall where they may (in terms of what system people decide to buy on the strength of it. I'm not one of those people, but they are certainly out there.)

It's interesting to take a purely analytic look at: Where the fuck is the line actually drawn between what's classed as a

straight up bribe

and a next-gen 3rd party exclusivity deal. That shit starts to get real grey area.

Here's the thing: Respawn is an independent studio. Their deal with EA is like that of the EA Partners stuff. Their funding had to come from somewhere, and Microsoft stepped up and either made an offer, or bested Sony's offer.

I would bet that it came down to choosing a horse to back. Sony picked Bungie and MS picked Respawn. Granted, what MS gets out their deal is considerably greater than what Sony is getting with Destiny, but they each want a flagship multiplayer game, and they each chose a different game

And this in mind, I really can't fault Respawn for cutting this deal with Microsoft. The EA Partners program, while a great idea that resulted in quality titles, did absolutely nothing to market or promote those titles in a meaningful way.

#40 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

Titanfall 2 on PS4, does not mean the same thing that Titanfall will ever-ever come to PS4.

#41 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -
#42 Posted by laserguy (444 posts) -

money hat.

#43 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

Oh thank God. There are four different change.org petitions for a PS4 release, with one made by a bastardly named gentleman "MLG_Gunnplay". Wonderful.

#44 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3100 posts) -

Who cares? Odds are Titanfall will run better on a PC anyways. Upgrade instead of buying a console just for a first person shooter where the gimmick is climbing into larger robotic men with bigger guns.

#45 Edited by Nardak (495 posts) -

This is normal PR talk. Things with Microsoft are peachy until the point that the game is not anymore an exclusive to that platform.

Even Phil Fish was telling us how wonderful Microsoft was as a publisher until his publishing contract with Microsoft ran out.

#46 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

"I'ma play some Titan you guys down for a few rounds?"

Rolls off the tongue OK, but 'cod' sounds easier.

#47 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

@hailinel said:

No, we must go further. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

I know it is totally off-topic but: WTF is this petition.

On-topic: Yeah, remember how Heavy Rain was "only possible on the amazing PS3?" fast forward a few years and it turns out it is only an exclusive because Microsoft turned them down.

#48 Posted by ThunderSlash (1730 posts) -

@nictel: Well technically that's true. Only possible on the amazing PS3 because Microsoft didn't want to contract David Cage-itis.

#49 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I believe this song sums every decision in this industry these days.

#50 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

The people at Respawn have been asked "Why Xbox One?" a few times. It comes down to Microsoft was the one willing sight unseen to support the 'server infrastructure' and other concession needed right away.

That doesn't mean Sony can't or won't, it just means sigh unseen Sony wasn't willing to commit to the game before it was even a game.

The game will come to PS4. It will come; Respawn knows it, EA knows it, Microsoft knows it, and Sony knows it. And, I rather doubt Microsoft, even if it wanted to give EA millions, would find EA willing to sell exclusivity. EA knows that Titanfall is about as close to a "CoD" as it will ever have. That means Titanfall, as a series, is worth BILLIONS. To buy exclusivity MS would have to give EA billions, and they won't/can't do it.