#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4137 posts) -

Tokyo, Japan has just edged out Madrid and Istanbul to become the host of the 2020 Olympic games. Although Tokyo was considered to be the frontrunner for the games, many had expressed concerns that lingering radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant would scuttle its chances. Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, directly addressed those issues at length in his pitch to the International Olympic Committee (IOC). "Let me assure you the situation is under control. It has never done and will never do any damage to Tokyo," Abe said in response to IOC questions, "I make the statement to you in the most emphatic and unequivocal way." Japan recently adopted a plan to build a $320 million ice wall to limit the spread of radioactive water.

Along with allaying concerns about radiation, Japan generally pushed a pitch about safety in its bid. "You’re in safe pair of hands with Tokyo" was its final rallying cry. Japan will build new waterfront venues for the event at the site of the 1964 Olympics, which it hosted, and says it has $4.5 billion in reserve for the games.

The Verge: Tokyo to host 2020 Olympics with assurance that Fukushima radiation is 'completely blocked'

That'll be 56 years since the last time the Olympics were held in Tokyo. Oh and, yea. The Ice Wall. Seriously, I don't even know how long the ice wall is gonna take to build. So, I'm hoping like months, instead of years. :/

But right! The Olympics part. Sonic & Bayonetta & Mario's Olympic Jam 2020: Superstar, will probably be alright. I would probably even play it. And by then, it'll be the 7th next-gen console year, and 4 years past MS already said they'll stop supporting 360. PS3? Wii-U?

#2 Edited by jimmyfenix (3811 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Our Lord and Savior Kaz Hirai will be president by then.

#3 Posted by Forcen (1797 posts) -

Can't wait for the anime adaptation of the Olympics.

#4 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

Queue another Fukushima-like calamity.

#5 Posted by Morningstar (2127 posts) -

Grats to our Japanese friends =)

#6 Edited by Nictel (2364 posts) -

Queue that Radioactive song.

#7 Edited by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

I'm quite excited about it. I'm sure they'll do a great job.

And now that the government is finally taking more of a hands-on approach to the nuclear disaster, I'm guessing we'll see some progress on establishing more long-term safety solutions. Right now, the whole thing is in shambles, but with the right efforts, further problems can be minimized.

#8 Posted by FLStyle (4532 posts) -

I can't wait to see the marathon!

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

Okay.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

Should have been Istanbul. Byzantine legacy and what not

#11 Edited by bigjeffrey (4709 posts) -

Man that like totally 7 years from now.

#12 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Oh, the boring olympics. I thought you were talking about the cool olympics, but that's in 2022.

#13 Posted by Pr1mus (3777 posts) -

Will Kojima design the Japanese athletes' uniforms?