#1 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

I don't know the details, but Tom Clancy's publisher has announced that he died last night in a hospital in Baltimore.

I'm sure this won't affect the game franchises under his name much though.

#2 Edited by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

:(

I've read plenty of his books, he was very talented. His books inspired one of my favorite games in the original Rainbow Six.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (24392 posts) -

That's a bummer. He was only a year older than my parents.

#4 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

The American government shuts down, Tom Clancy dies. It's over. Move to Canada, folks.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -

I read quite a few of his books. Most of them were terrible though... the only ones that hold up are the early ones, to be frank, and I haven't read them in years.

#6 Posted by MocBucket62 (1197 posts) -

Bummer. My best wishes go out to his family.

#7 Posted by MB (12257 posts) -

That is unfortunate...Without Remorse is my favorite book of all time.

#8 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11621 posts) -

I think it's funny that a man who started with writing semi-realistic cold war espionage novels will be remembered for a franchise of video games where the Russians are still a credible threat and nukes go off every 5 minutes. I read most of his books and there's a turning point somewhere after Clear and Present Danger where his stuff starts not only getting way more ridiculous, but way more political as well since his main character becomes president and fixes everything that's wrong with the government while also fighting off a biological terror attack from not-Iran.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -

I think it's funny that a man who started with writing semi-realistic cold war espionage novels will be remembered for a franchise of video games where the Russians are still a credible threat and nukes go off every 5 minutes. I read most of his books and there's a turning point somewhere after Clear and Present Danger where his stuff starts not only getting way more ridiculous, but way more political as well since his main character becomes president and fixes everything that's wrong with the government while also fighting off a biological terror attack from not-Iran.

don't forget bringing democracy to China!

The only books I'd ever reread of his are the ones up to and including Without Remorse.

#10 Posted by slyspider (1202 posts) -

Damn. This is a bummer. RIP

#11 Posted by bybeach (4788 posts) -

Mixed feelings, but in terms of dieing the same I feel for most anybody. RIP.

I read a few of his books, but being a dirty hippy I did not see things necc. the same way. I went through a phase of playing the later Rainbow 6 because I liked the mechanics and even thought the character a decent guy. Found myself killing a lot of Mexicans though.

#12 Posted by vikingdeath1 (953 posts) -

The American government shuts down, Tom Clancy dies. It's over. Move to Canada, folks.

you said it.

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5405 posts) -

Other than his games, I have no reference to Tom Clancy's work. With that said, my thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

#14 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3198 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

@nekroskop said:

you said it.

Where are the canadians suppose to live?

#15 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

Red Storm Rising and The Hunt For Red October are a couple of my favorite books. This sucks.

#16 Edited by Nightriff (4989 posts) -

Saw that, his name doesn't bring particularly any goodwill to games anymore which is my only reference to his life.

#17 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10895 posts) -

That's too bad.

#18 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: In Europe with the rest of the dirty liberals! j/k

#19 Posted by Flappy (2195 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

@nekroskop said:

you said it.

Detroit?

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (14757 posts) -

Well, that sucks. R.I.P

#21 Edited by joshwent (2166 posts) -

@animasta: @animasta: Isn't it pretty widely accepted that after that time a lot of his later books were ghost written. Or at least he'd come up with an outline and maybe write a bit, but I think the dip in quality falls in line with others writing under his name.

Still, I read two of his Jack Ryan books (although it was years ago and I honestly don't know which they were) and I thought they were pretty great. The dude knew tension.

#22 Posted by stryker1121 (1400 posts) -

Read loads of Clancy in H.S. and through college. Clear and Present Danger, Red Storm Rising, Without Remorse were my faves. Clancy's later books didn't do it for me (never did finish Executive Orders) , but he definitely was the best in his genre. RIP---Also, is it bad that as soon as I saw that headline, it made me worried for the like-aged George RR Martin's longevity? Don't die,George!

#23 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3198 posts) -

In all honesty did Tom Clancy write anything significant over the past 5 years or was it just other people writing under the Clancy banner? I was always under impression he retired and just layed on fat stacks of Ubisoft money who were using his name. RIP Clancy.

#24 Posted by Nictel (2406 posts) -

Shame, nobody lives forever I suppose but 66 ain't that old.

#25 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@animasta: @animasta: Isn't it pretty widely accepted that after that time a lot of his later books were ghost written. Or at least he'd come up with an outline and maybe write a bit, but I think the dip in quality falls in line with others writing under his name.

Still, I read two of his Jack Ryan books (although it was years ago and I honestly don't know which they were) and I thought they were pretty great. The dude knew tension.

his later later books? yeah probably. I'm mostly talking about when Jack Ryan became president. The republican bias was always there, but in early books it was very downplayed, but once he became president the bias was in full force.

#26 Posted by BisonHero (6433 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

@vikingdeath1 said:

@nekroskop said:

you said it.

We've got plenty of room up here! Though I can't guarantee there will be 300 million jobs waiting for you, so be prepared to live off the land for a while.

#27 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2679 posts) -

Well, let just call it what it is...Clancy became a huge ranting neo-con.

#28 Posted by gunninkr (137 posts) -

I'm willing to bet he actually died in an underground cage match with Harrison Ford. A guy with that many stories to tell needed to go out with a bang. RIP Clancy