• 94 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

I've been watching some of the reaction and video reviews of the new Tomb Raider and have come to the realisation that people still... TO THIS DAY... pronounce "Lara" wrong. And these are people in the video games business, y'know, the one group that should know better!

Just for clarification, it is pronounced LAR-RA... not LA-RA or LAW-RA.

I'm not really sure why this bothered me so much, but I couldn't believe that notable members of the industry were pronouncing one of the most iconic names in video game history wrong. I mean, come on, the character's been around for 17 years now.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I'd love to hear an argument from someone who does pronounce it differently.

#2 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

I thought it was pronounced la-RAH.

#3 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I've always pronounced it with a long A, but not like Laura.

#4 Posted by Humanity (10072 posts) -
Online
#5 Posted by believer258 (12188 posts) -
#6 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

I know what you mean. I get a bit of an eye twitch every time someone calls it Ninja GAY-den instead of GUY-den.

#7 Posted by DonPixel (2627 posts) -

Jeeeez people iz stooopid, they don't pronounce videgoame heros right! FAIL!

#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

The Rev 3 review drove me bananas, switches between Laura and Lara to Lowra. What's ironic is the reviewers name is Tara, its like her name with an L instead of a T.

#9 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

I was gonna post agreeing with you but then I started pronouncing the name and you can easily pronounce it in 3-4 different ways. It's not as simple as I thought, those A's in there are tricky as fuck. You can make several A sounds man! Not to mention that you put a double R in your pronunciation even though there's one R in the name, whassap wit dat?

#10 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

The Rev 3 review drove me bananas, switches between Laura and Lara to Lowra. What's ironic is the reviewers name is Tara, its like her name with an L instead of a T.

lolwut.

#11 Edited by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -

Laura Croft is to Lara Croft as Wario is to Mario.

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

She'll always be Laura Croft... in my heart.

#13 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3029 posts) -

After 16 some odd years of Americans saying "Laura Croft" nobody is going to change. Its over folks - the Eidos can say it, spell it, enunciation it all they want - she is now called 'Laura' in the US and that won't change.

#14 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

@officegamer: Yes, you're right. You can pronounce it in multiple ways, but in this particular characters case... there's only one correct pronunciation. Secondly, as someone mentioned earlier on, you wouldn't pronounce "Tara" any other way, so why would you with "Lara"?

#15 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

@officegamer: Yes, you're right. You can pronounce it in multiple ways, but in this particular characters case... there's only one correct pronunciation. Secondly, as someone mentioned earlier on, you wouldn't pronounce "Tara" any other way, so why would you with "Lara"?

I dunno, I've heard some gangly scouzers pronounce Tara as Taaa-ra. But then scouzers pronounce everything wrong anywhoo.

Apologies to any scouzers on our forums, but seriously... It's fucking pronounced 'buk' goddamnit, not boo-k!

#16 Posted by John1912 (1969 posts) -

Hey! Here in Merica its LAR-RA! You want to pronounce it LAW-RA You move to one of those pinko counties over there in Europe!

#17 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Larry Craft.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Man, English pronunciation makes no sense. Why can't you be like Japan and make her name easier to pronounce?

God, I hope people understand the irony in this post.

#19 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

Then they should have called her Larra instead of Lara

#20 Posted by PenguinDust (12629 posts) -
#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#22 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -

It is pronounced LAW-RUH.

#23 Posted by AlexW00d (6435 posts) -

@john1912 said:

Hey! Here in Merica its LAR-RA! You want to pronounce it LAW-RA You move to one of those pinko counties over there in Europe!

I assume this is sarcasm, cause the only people I hear pronounce it wrong are 'Mericans, not Pinkos, whatever the fuck that means.

#24 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

I like how everyone is trying to spell out how it's pronounced like people can pick up on your accent from your typing.

#25 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -
#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@jams:

Yea, pretty much.

#27 Edited by Zelyre (1275 posts) -

Lara Croft - the to/too/two, it's/its, you're/your, their/they're/there of the gaming world.

#28 Edited by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -

@jams said:

I like how everyone is trying to spell out how it's pronounced like people can pick up on your accent from your typing.

You don't need an accent to be able to read a word spelled phonetically. Phonetically it's read as LAW-RUH.

#29 Posted by John1912 (1969 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@john1912 said:

Hey! Here in Merica its LAR-RA! You want to pronounce it LAW-RA You move to one of those pinko counties over there in Europe!

I assume this is sarcasm, cause the only people I hear pronounce it wrong are 'Mericans, not Pinkos, whatever the fuck that means.

Yes, sarcasm. Pinko's are communists.....You never heard the term pinko?

#30 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

You know, if she were a real person I would be with those that are saying that the name can only be pronounced one way. But she's not so I can't care.

#31 Edited by TheHT (11785 posts) -
#32 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Lara isn't a common name. Laura, however, is and I'm much more comfortable with using it.

#33 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I haven't a fucking clue how to get a pronunciation from any of the text you guys are posting.

I pronounce it like the first two letters in LAMP followed by the first two letters in RAMP, with emphasis on the first syllable, obviously.

#34 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

People seriously get this wrong? It's lah-ra.

#35 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

Never heard of this mispronunciation before. Why would people say Laura? It's spelt Lara.

#36 Posted by Coafi (1494 posts) -

Lara, short for Laura. Holy fuck!

#37 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6146 posts) -

I never broke the Lawr! I am the Lawr!

#38 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@donpixel said:

Jeeeez people iz stooopid, they don't pronounce videgoame heros right! FAIL!

You're inadvertently becoming one of my favorite forum posters because of posts like these.

#39 Edited by Sinusoidal (1806 posts) -

In high school I knew two girls named Tara, only one pronounced it tare-ah, and the other tar-ah.

Oh, another good story. A friend of mine was staying in Germany, and she went to a concert where some children's choir sang "You say tomato, I say tomato" in English, only they pronounced tomato the same way both times.

Which leads me to this:

#40 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

I thought her name was Albert?

#41 Edited by Kazona (3096 posts) -

They should have named her Lala

#42 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

It's pronounced however the fuck I want to pronounce it. Her name is Angelina Jolie anyway.

#43 Posted by haffy (674 posts) -

@benpicko said:

Never heard of this mispronunciation before. Why would people say Laura? It's spelt Lara.

Because it's a British game and they apparently changed it from Laura so Americans would have a better chance of pronouncing it.

#44 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

I don't think that's how you spell sugar boobs. SEXISM!

#45 Posted by Fattony12000 (7564 posts) -

#46 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

@john1912 said:

@alexw00d said:

@john1912 said:

Hey! Here in Merica its LAR-RA! You want to pronounce it LAW-RA You move to one of those pinko counties over there in Europe!

I assume this is sarcasm, cause the only people I hear pronounce it wrong are 'Mericans, not Pinkos, whatever the fuck that means.

Yes, sarcasm. Pinko's are communists.....You never heard the term pinko?

Oh man. If kids these days don't even know what Pinko means, why did we even bother fighting the cold war...

#47 Edited by ajamafalous (12155 posts) -

@markwahlberg said:

@john1912 said:

@alexw00d said:

@john1912 said:

Hey! Here in Merica its LAR-RA! You want to pronounce it LAW-RA You move to one of those pinko counties over there in Europe!

I assume this is sarcasm, cause the only people I hear pronounce it wrong are 'Mericans, not Pinkos, whatever the fuck that means.

Yes, sarcasm. Pinko's are communists.....You never heard the term pinko?

Oh man. If kids these days don't even know what Pinko means, why did we even bother fighting the cold war...

The no-good pinko commies have finally won.

#48 Posted by golguin (4045 posts) -

It is pronounced LAW-RUH.

That's how I say it. You pronounce it like Laura even if its spelled "Lara". If people had initially intended to make it sound like "Sarah" except with an L at the beginning they should have spelled it "Larra" to emphasize the "ah" and "raa" sounds.

#49 Posted by GunGunW (60 posts) -

It seem like everything is coming out on March 5th.

#50 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Lefty croft