Game Informer confirms Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5.

• 62 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Game Informer's June Issue will have 6 pages dedicated to the "exclusive first look" at Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5. It's a pretty bold move to go with that name. However, The cover for the issue will be Disney Infinite 3.0, which puts into perspective where the Tony Hawk franchise sits on the video game food chain.

Source - GameInformer.com (screenshots therein)

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm excited. I hope it really is a true return to form.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Must have got some of that Doll money to get GI to put on the cover because in all honesty how many people are standing in line waiting for the next DI?

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By brandondryrock

No PC version. I don't understand why there are some multi-platform games that don't come to PC. It is annoying that they are putting in resources to port this game to PS3 and Xbox 360, but not PC. You don't even need to front money to produce physical copies for PC. Also, wasn't the point of the consoles switching to x86 architecture was it would make developing on them like developing for PC, making it easier for developers?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this comes to PC if it's good, it's been over a decade since I played a Tony Hawk game.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I don't think Robomodo has ever made a good game, which doesn't bode well. I'm thinking the name is just a nostalgia grab.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Cirdain
No Caption Provided

As the name indicates, Pro Skater 5 is a call back to the old-school lineage of the first four titles – back when the franchise was in its prime. The game weds the series' finely tuned gameplay with new additions such as power-ups and the ability to shoot projectiles for specific missions.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This seems like something that would be impossible to fuck up but Robomodo has certainly proven that they are fully capable of fucking up the unfuckupable.

Slightly off topic and maybe I'm off base here but does the average Game Informer reader give a shit about Disney Infinity? I understand it's very popular but it seems like a very different audience. Weird choice for the cover to me.

Haunter222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Haunter222
Loading Video...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@milkman: Kid walks into Gamestop. Sees Disney stuff on cover of magazine placed specifically in front of checkout. Asks parents to buy magazine. Parents buy magazine (and most likely subscription to go with it). Kids learns about game. Begs parents. Parents buy game. Everybody, except parents' and their wallet, wins.

At least...that's what I assume is the reasoning.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By metal_mills

Developed by Robomodo

Shooting missions

Power ups

No Caption Provided

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Fingers crossed...

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By WickedCestus

Weren't there missions in 3 where you shot projectiles by doing kickflips? Or am I thinking of one of the Underground games...or am i just nuts.

EDIT: I think it was in the first Underground game, and you shot fireballs?

BeyondStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: I agreed with you about the cover until I saw it myself. I think they are focusing more on the Star Wars part of the equation than the Disney Infinity part.

As for this in general, I love the idea of going back to to the original series, but these were the people who screwed up the HD collection. Plus, the art design and the whole projectiles thing does not give me much confidence.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care either way whether it's a good or a bad game, since it's not on PC. GG, Activision.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Gunning someone down with an uzi as you grind down a flight of stairs would be a cool concept. Unfortunately this just sounds like Mario Kart stuff tacked on

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

Gunning someone down with an uzi as you grind down a flight of stairs would be a cool concept. Unfortunately this just sounds like Mario Kart stuff tacked on

Ahh yes, the famous skateboard trick where you murder people. I remember Tony Hawk pulling that off in the X-Games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Was optimistic, am not anymore. Game looks bland and the concepts for "missions" leaves me a bit queazy. I want two minute sessions with five objectives, just give me like 20-25 courses instead of 8-12 or whatever it was on PS1 and I'd be sold.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, Robomodo. Hopefully they can Ride the wave of nostalgia generated by this announcement and tear any memories of their past Hawk-based projects to Shreds.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monetarydread

@metal_mills said:

Developed by Robomodo

Shooting missions

Power ups

No Caption Provided

This sums up my thoughts exactly.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You can't act like it's a return to form if the very first thing you talk about is the dumb new shit you're cramming in. I mean power ups sound like kind of an arcadey thing that might fit the feel of those old games, but projectiles? Fucking what? I think the people who are still interested in Tony Hawk would probably be totally okay with a game that plays exactly like Tony Hawk 3 but with new levels. Not ready to write this off yet, but it doesn't sound as promising as it could've.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just keep in mind that this is being developed by the same studio that brought you Tony Hawk: Ride (the worst game in the franchise) and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD, which received a very mixed reception. Third time's the charm hopefully.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony Hawk HD wasnt supposed to come to PC either, we clamored for it and got a version that doesn't support online multiplayer...

Looking at the names of the screenshots there will be a beach, school and warehouse level. The warehouse and school level pretty much look like a remix of the older ones.
Warehouse (pretty much exact replica)
School II (pool/gym area on the left, big building followed by two smaller ones on the right, shot is taken from the "death drop" starting point of School II)

August 11 release teaser?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

You gotta wash yo ass

If you must

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This just made me realize I'd totally play a cross between Tony Hawk and Road Rash.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By superfriend

Robomodo.

You might as well not do it.

Sorry, but these people had three games to prove themselves and they have failed to deliver a good Tony Hawk game.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hassun
cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what has wolfenstein got to do with skateboarding

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few levels in Tony Hawk's Underground 2 had projectiles, see in Barcelona when you pick up Tomatoes and throw them at people.

Also there's been stuff like Disney characters since the beginning -- In Underground you can unlock Iron-Man to play as.

For what it's worth, I still play old Tony Hawk on a daily basis (THUG1/THUG 2/THAW) and many other people still are, too -- I think that's who they should cater toward, the people that think Tony Hawk's prime was THPS 2 or 3 really don't give a shit anymore.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hatking

People don't remember the fireball modes from the old Tony Hawk games. Projectiles, technically, existed.

Anyway, I'm trying to be a less cynical person, so I'm looking forward to this. Or, at the very least, I'll try not to get angry before I've seen it in motion.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Belegorm

More than that it appears like it'll be a shit game, it boggles my mind that they haven't announced a PC version. I mean c'mon we know that games are developed on PC's these days anyway then ported to console.

One can only assume that at some point there will be a PC version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few levels in Tony Hawk's Underground 2 had projectiles, see in Barcelona when you pick up Tomatoes and throw them at people.

Also there's been stuff like Disney characters since the beginning -- In Underground you can unlock Iron-Man to play as.

For what it's worth, I still play old Tony Hawk on a daily basis (THUG1/THUG 2/THAW) and many other people still are, too -- I think that's who they should cater toward, the people that think Tony Hawk's prime was THPS 2 or 3 really don't give a shit anymore.

We don't give a shit because everything after the third one was a disappointment at best.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could be fine with projectiles if it's a multiplayer thing (i.e you're playing tag against a buddy and can grief them) or at least relate it to specific level goals. Just don't lay it on thick. 2 minutes. Collect SKATE. High Score. Pro Score. Sick Score. Gap this. Grind that. Wall Ride the other. Unlock next level.

Its all we want.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soapy86: I don't want to rain on your parade or anything but the majority of the levels in games before THUG 1 suck shit.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hopefully they learned how important the feel is after HD. Gameplay has to be on point, then add all your other crap.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@twitterlegend said:

@soapy86: I don't want to rain on your parade or anything but the majority of the levels in games before THUG 1 suck shit.

I don't think a lot of people agree with you. And I think that thinking you can't possibly win back old fans is a mistake. Those people are still playing games of any type if they are good. They made 3 skate games. Not the same franchise but really, what was it similar to? People will just buy a fun skateboarding game.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Most people that thought the series' prime was the THPS games gave up on Tony Hawk before Project 8 (when it was still arguably good). Also Skate is an entirely different thing.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By GERALTITUDE

OK.

Will wait to see more...

@brandondryrock: just because it hasn't yet been announced for PC yet doesn't mean it won't come to PC... and, as to why: games sell better on consoles; games are easier to make for consoles. PC optimization is a bitch, and people have way high standards for that shit now. If you didn't have to worry about the wide variety of PC specs every game would have a PC version. Every. Single. One. But they don't, sadly. Having seen the work that goes in to it recently I don't blame companies for dodging PC, especially if it's just to start. PC launches require way more resources for support than console versions do, for example. One would assume a game like THPS5 has enough money behind it... but... eh... Robomodo? and those screens... they don't really scream HIGH QUALITY, but it is too early to say for sure. Anyways that's a long ass way of saying it's not crazy they didn't announce for PC yet. I would expect a game like this to release on PC ~6 months or later. But again in this specific case that might be the same window for a Touch Device release (:S) That's how I'd do it if I was a low end 3D developer who had mostly been dealing with iOS games (again, comparatively very few configurations vs PC). Go safe with the few skus you need for console, then expand to PC once you've ironed out those kinks, and deal with that launch separately.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robomodo will get it right eventually.

It might take another 5-7 Tony Hawks games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Eh, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. All of the previous games were either saddled by some gimmicky bullshit or they were trying to re-create a weird Frankenstein version of an older game like with THPS HD.

Also the powerups and projectiles thing doesn't worry me in the slightest right now. THUG had weird driving mini-games but the majority of that game was still pretty damn good. Other companies have hit it out of the park before after a bad track record. Look at Rocksteady games. They made some hot garbage before they got their hands on Batman and finally hit one out of the park.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are those shots from the game? Looks exactly like THPS HD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's going to suck. Unfortunately.

All of Robomodo's games have been complete and utter crap. How can you fuck up a remake of Tony Hawk Pro Skater!? That was a slam dunk and they couldn't do that right.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By RiotControl

Wow, does it look rough.

I guess that's what happens when 95% of genres and sub-genres disappear over a entire console generation. You just aren't given much money to retest the waters when so much time has passed and so much experience has been lost to studio closures.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@recspec said:

Ahh yes, the famous skateboard trick where you murder people. I remember Tony Hawk pulling that off in the X-Games.

THUG 2 was just Tony Hawk x Viva la Bam. They already hit the low point.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:
@brandondryrock said:
@recspec said:

THUG 2 was just Tony Hawk x Viva la Bam. They already hit the low point.

Haha fair point.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was excited to hear they were thinking of bringing back old school THPS.

I was worried that it might be given to those Robomodo guys and now that it's been announced this is something that I'll keep an eye on, but I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not just Robomodo, the game is being co-developed by Disruptive Games. Who contributed to Ratchet and Clank : all 4 1, Lost Planet 3 and THPS HD.

So.. cautiously optimistic it is then. The screens don't look fantastic, it might be just me.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By erhard

Those screenshots look like junk.

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be shite people. If you're excited for it then you are no better than sonic fans imho.