Total War: Warhammer

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

It isn't official, but people have been anticipating and expecting this for as long as the warhammer license and Total war are under one banner now.

Copy of article

This seems to pretty much confirm that a Warhammer themed total war is coming up. I for one am stocked about this, and although Rome II was received with lukewarm reviews, (rightfully so) Atilla is shaping up to pretty good. (I'll admit that is just how they make it look, but seeing as they got Rome II ontrack with the Emperor edition... Who knows)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fuck. Yes.

Skulls for the Skull Throne!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'd play that.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wish it was 40k

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, I saw a post of this on reddit today. I can't wait for the official announcement.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@saucygiraffe said:

I wish it was 40k

That's the next step.

Maybe, I am not sure total war will go into a game that relies heavily on shooting. And I bet the campaign map doesn't work out so for for a 40k game. I guess you could do it with planets but I think that might feel weird, but it could work.
I don't think a 40k total war would be any good but that is just me. I am happy letting relic handle 40k. Although both the fantasy and 40k licence is under Sega now so.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@saucygiraffe said:

I wish it was 40k

That's the next step.

Maybe, I am not sure total war will go into a game that relies heavily on shooting. And I bet the campaign map doesn't work out so for for a 40k game. I guess you could do it with planets but I think that might feel weird, but it could work.

I don't think a 40k total war would be any good but that is just me. I am happy letting relic handle 40k. Although both the fantasy and 40k licence is under Sega now so.

There are plenty of melee units in 40k, and guns are pretty ineffective unless they are huge in which case they are similar to the artillery/siege weapons already in the series.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have no interest in Warhammer but I love the Total War games. I will play this for sure and it may even get me into the warhammer universe.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CheapPoison

Not saying it couldn't work. but the range balance would be tricky. There would be a real risk of making guns not worth it or able to mow down the majority of a unit before it reaches close quarters.

It could work, but for me personally 40k doesn't begin to hold a candle to warhammer. That being said that also comes from the tabletop, and one could argue at this point some would argue they also ran fantasy into the ground, but that is another discussion.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jayzilla said:

I have no interest in Warhammer but I love the Total War games. I will play this for sure and it may even get me into the warhammer universe.

It might be a good start. Dawn of War got me into the 40k fiction.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@saucygiraffe said:

I wish it was 40k

That's the next step.

I actually think the strategic map would fit quite well, the campaign in dawn of war works in simillar fashion, i would hope they even take it a step further and have a star map, so you can move a fleet and take over planets. The first expansion would be the horus heresy... i need to stop i'm getting carried away.

Anyway, super hopefull for this to happen, i want to have 5000 dwarves in battle.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CheapPoison

@eladren said:

@cheappoison said:

@corevi said:
@saucygiraffe said:

I wish it was 40k

That's the next step.

I actually think the strategic map would fit quite well, the campaign in dawn of war works in simillar fashion, i would hope they even take it a step further and have a star map, so you can move a fleet and take over planets. The first expansion would be the horus heresy... i need to stop i'm getting carried away.

Anyway, super hopefull for this to happen, i want to have 5000 dwarves in battle.

That is the thing, there needs to be a star map, cause with total wars scale you can't get away with all of the different races and factiosn fighting it out on one planet. Four or five is acceptable in dawn of war but.. You can't have 10-12 factions on one planet. well you could if the planet was big enough, but that would feel absolutely stupid.

My fear is that with a star system the limitations to jump from one system to the next might feel somewhat artificial. At the other hand you could add some fun side events or powers like Shadow of the warp.

I woudl also previously say that my favorite race would be very hard to implement. Taking the roaming horde mechanic that is about to be launched in Atilla might be a appropriate way to represent the tyranids. (Although It might be a bit much to leave planets as a baren wasteland after.)

That being said the Horus Heresy would indeed be pretty interesting as an expansion. Be it a small one like ceasar in Gaul or something like a full fledged full price expansion that includes titans.
Well, just all the fancy tools the space marines had back then. Might even be interesting to have 8 or 10 of the biggest legions represented, nothing else would have to be worked on.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hmm. I'm a big Total War fan so I'll definitely give this a shot, but Warhammer seems like the most juvenile, generic and unadventurous fantasy setting out there. Prove me wrong, Creative Assembly! (Also, you should take another stab at the Total Warrior/Viking formula. You were so close to making something great.)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corevi

Hmm. I'm a big Total War fan so I'll definitely give this a shot, but Warhammer seems like the most juvenile, generic and unadventurous fantasy setting out there. Prove me wrong, Creative Assembly!

It's basically that but filtered through heavy metal art. Everything is as ridiculously awesome as possible.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. I'm a big Total War fan so I'll definitely give this a shot, but Warhammer seems like the most juvenile, generic and unadventurous fantasy setting out there. Prove me wrong, Creative Assembly! (Also, you should take another stab at the Total Warrior/Viking formula. You were so close to making something great.)

There is some fun stuff in there. There are some fantasy setting that end up being way more generic in my opinion. Although a lot of fantasy setting are guilty of that.
I will give you that there is a ton of juvenile stuff in there. There are some gems in there though.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm really excited for this. But most of all this makes me sad that Relic is dead :/ ... Dawn of War 2 was a really fucking good game :(

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really excited for this. But most of all this makes me sad that Relic is dead :/ ... Dawn of War 2 was a really fucking good game :(

Are they? I thought they end up under Sega now? I am not sure how much is left of the actual people there.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Corevi
@cheappoison said:

@2headedninja said:

Are they? I thought they end up under Sega now? I am not sure how much is left of the actual people there.

They are at Sega. Sega's acquisition of them is the reason they have the Warhammer license.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@corevi said:
@cheappoison said:

@2headedninja said:

They are at Sega. Sega's acquisition of them is the reason they have the Warhammer license.

Weird, I was totally sure they got killed after THQ died. Their website says "comming soon" ... well, maybe there is still hope. Relic was one of the few devs I would buy anything from unseen.

[edit:] seems like I got my timeline wrong, CoH2 was after THQ died, yay.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CheapPoison

@corevi said:
@cheappoison said:

@2headedninja said:

Actually. I am sure Sega had the warhammer licence for a while. Relic just brought the 40k licence with them. I might be wrong, but I thought there were rumors of a warhammer total war around 2012 when they actually got the right(I think) Or has thx been out of business that long?
On that topic, I am sure the right to 40 went to someone else while relic was in limbo. So I am nto sure that relic could make a strategy game based on 40k as I think slitherine or something might have that. all of it is very confusing.

chris24680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would they not call it Total Warhammer?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I wish it was 40k

This this forever this. Would be amazing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheappoison: Sega definitely has the rights to 40k as they published Kill Team on Steam.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@bollard said:

@saucygiraffe said:

I wish it was 40k

I forget there is non-40K warhammer, I'm upset now.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

@cheappoison: Sega definitely has the rights to 40k as they published Kill Team on Steam.

They have some of the licence yes. They are also still working on the 40k mmo that is goign to end up stripped down and a solo experience or something.
But kill team is not a strategy game. I just thought here was something about the strategy licence going to slitherine because relic was in trouble.
That might be wrong. Like I said it is confusing, I can't keep up if the license is chopped up or not anymore.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Haven't really gotten into any Total War games since the first Shogun. This sounds like the perfect opportunity. I'm very much in the 40k > WH camp (probably mostly due to DoW being glorious) but even a fantasy variant would surely catch my attention!

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm always more interested in historical than fantasy settings. Though considering my love for Total War I'm sure I'll end up buying it.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Skulls for the Skull Throne!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both types of Warhammer and I like Total War Games so hooray.

tikimorpher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tikimorpher

Why would they not call it Total Warhammer?

Goddammit

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DeathTrap

@mikemcn said:

@bollard said:

@saucygiraffe said:

I wish it was 40k

I forget there is non-40K warhammer, I'm upset now.

I hadn't noticed that this wasn't 40k until I saw this post. I am now sad.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Gotta ring them bells for the Horned Rat, yo.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. On one hand, it sounds like all my hopes and dreams. I'm a huge Total War and Warhammer fan. But after Rome 2... I don't know. They seem to have enough trouble with their animation system when everyone is human and has the same skeleton. But when they have orcs and Skaven in the mix... not to mention things like dragons and literal skeletons... just makes me a little weary that it won't turn out like I picture it.

Prove me wrong Creative Assembly! Make my dreams come true!