Anyone looking forward to this?

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not a lot of buzz for the next Total War game.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'll probably pick it up at some point but definitely not at launch, I ended up acquiring Rome 2, Shogun 2 and Empire in some sales over the past year so I'm pretty well covered for now.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

Creative Assembly, the developers of the Total War series, are essentially owned by Sega. I'm wondering if the lack of marketing for Attila is a result of Sega's recent troubles. Maybe they just don't have the extra time or money to do anything for Total War.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flasaltine

Fuck no. Rome 2 was, and probably still is, a fucking mess.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@flasaltine: Rome 2 has been running pretty ok for me that past few months, at least nothing like it was at launch.

Robopengy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Robopengy

There's a bunch of buzz over on the Total War Reddit. And all the marketing seems to be directed straight at the community with live streams and letting Youtubers play it and release their own videos.

Also yes I'm very pumped :P

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. On one hand I have so many Rome 2 campaigns that I haven't played yet and it doesn't like THAT different. But on the other hand, it SEEMS like they refined the game to make it much more playable. I don't know, we will see how it reviews (in a total war game, I'll see what the forums have to say over the press.)

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're positioning it as the Napoleon of Rome 2 so that's got me excited, but it seems like no one outside of the Total War community even knows about it.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't even aware they were making another one until this thread. But I'm not a big enough Total War fan to be in the know/excited anyways.
I get excited over the time period/factions more then just a new Total War, if say they announced a new Medieval one I would be all over that, but I'd probably wait for an Attilla one to go on sale one day and then take forever to get around to installing it.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, if Medieval III is anywhere near the sequel that Medieval II deserves it would be incredible.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By conmulligan

@flasaltine said:

It's fine now. Good, even. That doesn't excuse the horrific state it launched in, but CA did a commendable job polishing it into something worth playing.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for Total War games, even when they're broken, so I'm all in for Atilla. The reviews make it sound like it's not a total disaster at launch, which I guess is encouraging.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crysack

@flasaltine said:

It was abysmal on release but, apart from a few disappointing omissions (like Avatar mode), it's a solid game now. That doesn't excuse the fact that it took like 50 patches to actually get there.

Even so, I'm a massive sucker for TW games as well - particularly those set in the Roman era, given my background in ancient history. I preordered it long ago, I couldn't help myself.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a huge fan of the Total war series until emperor but CA almost always ship broken and fix later, the combat is fun when the AI works but the diplomacy /tactical map aspect of their games does nothing for me. Rome 2 was by all accounts a mess at launch and it took them a year+ to fix most of the problems.

So no, but I might pick it up later.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probly play this love total war games plus someone got keep British game industry from disapearing

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

So, I sunk a couple of hours into this last night and came away really impressed. Granted, my expectations were rock bottom given the sorry state Rome II launched in, but so far Attila’s been perfectly stable and the AI hasn't yet shat the bed catastrophically, which is usually a regular ocurance when Total War games first ship. Beyond that, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much they'd iterated on since Rome II. It’s not a huge departure by any means, but little things like the interface, provence management and character/army skill trees are all subtly better. I haven’t played enough to know how impactful some of the tentpole new features like razing are, but there are tons of really neat little additions that I keep coming across, like the ability to enlist soldiers from an army you just defeated or how environmental details like walls and fences will crumble as your army moves across them.

There's not much to set Rome II and Atilla apart graphically aside from the latter sporting vastly improved anti-aliasing solutions and a higher-resolution depth-of-field implementation, both of which eliminate a couple of Rome II's most obvious visual blemishes. Technical similarities aside, I greatly prefer Atilla’s art direction — the overly saturated pastely look is out in favour of a muted, earthly palette that feels much more thematically appropriate.

Also, it's fucking hard. I started as the Western Roman Empire and, appropriately enough, I'm getting my ass kicked every turn.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: Oh yeah, on release it was fucking trash

however now, its actually really good, very few bugs, AI seems mostly fixed (You can still see them doing some stupid shit every now and again, had Syracuse declare war on me only to offer me a peace treaty and 2200 denarii the next turn, but its also capable of some really sneaky shit and forceful attacks) and performs really well in battle (though, for some reason on the campaign map in my experience, FPS drops pretty badly)

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I have never played a Total War game. I somehow own most of the Total War games. I'll probably end up playing one of those before this one.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put some hours into it and I'm really enjoying it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If I could play as Genghis Khan, I'd be all over it like white on rice. Nonetheless I'm in the same boat as @nophilip, haven't played any of them before so this probably won't be my first one.... or maybe it will...

Sidebar @nophilip, been playing some DOTA2, been figuring out the DrowRanger, we gotta hook up sometime!

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By nophilip

@hurricaneivan29: Sure thing, duder. I'm unemployed at the moment, so I kind of have a lot of free time. Hit me up when you're looking to play!

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Doesn't it just seem like the same game with new skins? I mean all of these games feel like expansions and re-skins than new games.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By veektarius

I'm having a reasonably challenging experience with a game as the Franks, though a lot of things that occur seem totally random. I had a horde of four units encamped in my territory one turn, the next time it's a full stack and it attacks me? The Danes are doing just fine, then they raze their own capital and move south across Europe? The Geats end up at war with me and I have no idea what happened? Stuff like that.

@gamefreak9 : It is less of a new game than one might hope - for example, many of the voice samples are the same as Rome 2. On the other hand there are a whole bunch of new systems and it's gotten a fresh graphics pass. I'd say it's about the quality of a standalone expansion, which would be just a bit less than they're asking for it. (Standalone ~$30, Attila, $45)

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

On Sale with the current steam sales. Now might be the time to take the plunge. That being said though I need to re-visit Rome II since it's not complete balls like it was at launch.