Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4956 posts) 1 year, 14 days ago

Poll: Did you once Strive to be THE very best, Like no one ever was or Trust in the Heart OF the Cards (88 votes)

Yes, To Catch Them Was my Real Test 35%
Yes, I even might have considered buying those plastic duel disk at one point 17%
I Dueled and Battled 36%
No Trading Cards are dumb 11%
Yes, Every even might have considered buying those plastic duel disk at one point
Yes, To Catch Them Was my Real Test

I found my Folder full of Yugioh Cards, I had Ultra PRO sleeves/binder pages. BRANDED so you know IM LEGIT

#1 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

I strive to be Number 1..

#2 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

I have tried out many card games in my lifetime but Yu-gi-oh is the only one I ever liked. Fantastic game. A bunch of my friends got into it as well and we'd get together on the weekends and all play. We were all in our early-to-mid twenties.

I don't remember when exactly we stopped playing but I'm pretty sure it was around the fifth expansion or so.

#3 Posted by stri26 (31 posts) -

Super weird...I was thinking about blue-eyes white-dragons yesterday for no reason at all.

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

No. I just played the Gameboy stuff.

#5 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4956 posts) -

@stri26 said:

Super weird...I was thinking about blue-eyes white-dragons yesterday for no reason at all.

If your not thinking about Blue Eyes White Dragon on a constant basis, then something is wrong.

#6 Posted by Tearhead (2161 posts) -

I dabbled in Pokemon cards at age 10 or 11, but didn't take it too seriously. What I went deep into, however, was Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I played that a lot in the space of 2 years between the ages of 13 & 15. Then a time came where I wanted to get a girlfriend, loose my virginity and have a better social life, so I quit all things trading cards as it really wasn't a good look in the eyes of the ladies (at least the ones I was into).

I am glad to say I have accomplished all those things and have been off the stuff for over 8 years.

#7 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1383 posts) -

I never once played a game of the Pokemon Trading Card game, but i did collect those damn cards. I did play and collect Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Played in the 7th grade mainly with a few friends, i remember one of the moms coming over unexpected while we were playing, when she saw us playing she acted like Yu-Gi-Oh cards were the devil incarnate...didn't see much of that friend for quite a while. But back on topic I don't collect or play with the actual cards anymore but recently ive been playing alot of the Yu-Gi-Oh game on psn.

#8 Posted by Akyho (1599 posts) -

My YUGIOH deck is an Ancient Gear Crusher deck. It was in date for a month then outdated when those damned Monarch cards came out. Since EVERYONE just HAS to WIN! everyone made the EXACT same deck and did the EXACT same combos.

Sacrifice Treeborn, summon monarch, take away my cards, resummon treeborn frog from grave summon monarch, take away my cards, resummon treeborn frog from graveyard summon monarch TAKE AWAY MY CARDS!

Also annoyed me those decks had no themes. Mines was Earth/Machine/Ancient Gears. So it made sense for me to have a Cyber Dragon! Not them!

#9 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I expect the unexpected now.

#10 Edited by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

I still remember when Pokemon cards finally hit the "scene" in my grade school during 6th grade.

Magic: The Gathering was all the rage back then, however there was one kid who's mom would not let him play Magic because she said it was witchcraft. He jumped on the Pokemon train and successfully converted the entire school.

Go figure.

Oddly enough, when my wife and I moved into our house two years ago I found a box of all my old cards. It was actually pretty cool to go back and check them out.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

The capitalization in the thread title is insane. I was young enough to get really into both. Yu-Gi-Oh got big in my area right at the end of the second generation of Pokemon so a lot of us jumped ship.

#12 Edited by Ramone (2961 posts) -

This has been getting on my nerves for a while.

Why do you capitalise seemingly random words in your thread titles? Is it for emphasis? Because you seem to be emphasising the wrong words.

#13 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2365 posts) -

Trading cards were my religion as a kid.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@stri26 said:

If your not thinking about Blue Eyes White Dragon on a constant basis, then something is wrong.

You mean Blue Peeps Whitey Dragon, right?

Also, I just wanted to post his bit for no particular reason. But can you blame me? Can you?

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5621 posts) -

My fascination with Pokemon begins and ends with the video games. Yugioh I loved though. I loved it so much it was criminal, you might say. I got sick of the game however, because every pack would introduce cards that totally trivialized the ones that came before it, so that you'd have to go out and spend more money. Then the whole archetype thing really tanked the game. It made most cards you got totally useless, and having a small subsection of cards designed to work together totally took all of the fun out of building decks, because then you don't even get to come up with your own strategy.

Trading cards were my religion as a kid.

So that's where I recognize your picture from.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11802 posts) -

Pokemon started getting popular around the time I was just old enough to get into them, so I had some Pokemon cards. I never played it that much, though.

Yu Gi Oh started getting popular around the time I was beginning to get too old to get into them, so I also had some Yu Gi Oh cards. I played Yu Gi Oh more than Pokemon, and had some real fun doing it, but I was never big into either of them. I didn't go to Books-A-Million every Wednesday to play it, for example.

These days, all of the Yu Gi Oh cards that my brother and I had are in a drawer under a bunch of other useless stuff that my brother has. I don't know what's in there, other than a Blue Eyes White Dragon and a Red Eyes Black Dragon, and I never got into any other card games. I never watched each game's respective TV show or played the games much, either.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The only cards I'm into are ones from Steam and ones suffixed with -captor Sakura.

#19 Edited by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

@tearhead said:

I dabbled in Pokemon cards at age 10 or 11, but didn't take it too seriously. What I went deep into, however, was Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I played that a lot in the space of 2 years between the ages of 13 & 15. Then a time came where I wanted to get a girlfriend, loose my virginity and have a better social life, so I quit all things trading cards as it really wasn't a good look in the eyes of the ladies (at least the ones I was into).

I am glad to say I have accomplished all those things and have been off the stuff for over 8 years.

I really fucking hate it when people act like playing trading card games is something that prevents you from being social and meeting a significant other. Its not any more true than the idea that liking video games makes you less attractive to girls. If you make ANYTHING the entire focus of your life to the detriment of other things, you'll have a hard time meeting anyone.

#20 Edited by Elwoodan (818 posts) -

yes, and I actually bought my brother a set of duel disks for his birthday. it was way more awesome than you'd imagine.

Now i'm mostly into Ascension and Magic.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

In middle school and high school my friends and I were HUGE in the Yugioh card game. I played a little bit of Pokemon as well, but not as much as I did with Yugioh. My Walmart used to have Yugioh tournies once a month on Saturdays and the one I went to, I go second place. Then they stopped doing the tournies, but still had the get togethers for a bit, then they stopped doing it. Only went to like two of those things, but it was really fun. Also during Middle School my school had a Card Club every Wed. and that was always a blast.

#22 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2365 posts) -
#23 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

I only collected the Pokemon cards because they looked cool. I never played any actual card games.

#24 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Never really got into Pokemon cards.

Used to play a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh around grade school though.

#25 Edited by punkxblaze (2972 posts) -

My youth was a cross section of both. I was in 4th or 5th grade when YuGiOh got big, and before that it was all about dat Charizard, so I ended up doing both. I actually don't know what the hell happened to the sheer ridiculous number of cards I'd collected in both franchises past about 13 years old.

#26 Posted by Capum15 (4876 posts) -

I got some Pokemon cards but never did much with 'em. I did duel YuGiOh cards with some friends for a while.

But I have played the hell out of some Pokemon games, if that can count. I wanted to be the very best. And now that song's stuck in my head.

#27 Edited by konig_kei (606 posts) -

Never got into pokemon cards but yugioh, hell yeah. I had the Kaiba deck, I wasn't particularly good but whatever. I... also had a duel disk. Oh yeah and I name all my wargame:alb decks after yugioh references.

#28 Edited by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I got into playing YuGiOh! in two separate waves. First around the time the anime was big-ish and then after Synchro cards were introduced. Fun times, but man did I throw out a bunch of money on those cards.

Eventually my friends and I found Dueling Network which... I just wish there was an official game like that that didn't require you to play a bunch to unlock cards. If there is I haven't seen it.

I once made I deck based entirely around cards that have you flip coins and roll dices. Hilarious I thought, but the friend I played with mostly ended up getting actually angry when I used it.

#29 Posted by audioBusting (1507 posts) -

I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh! in middle and high school until most of the cards we have got banned. I played Pokemon a bit, but I didn't understand the rules at all.

#30 Edited by Slay3r1583 (608 posts) -

I played Magic: The Gathering like a man. Pokemon and YuGiOh didn't come out until I was in high school and they were little kids shit.

#31 Edited by Dagbiker (6972 posts) -

I played Magic: The Gathering like a man. Pokemon and YuGiOh didn't come out until I was in high school and they were little kids shit.

Like a man with an anime avitar.

I was the opposite Pokemon was my gateway drug, MTG was/is my current off and on trading card game.

#32 Posted by bobafettjm (1459 posts) -

I got into Yu-Gi-Oh cards about 10 years ago through my job (teaching kids). I still to this day play it and enjoy it.

#33 Posted by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

@akyho said:

My YUGIOH deck is an Ancient Gear Crusher deck. It was in date for a month then outdated when those damned Monarch cards came out. Since EVERYONE just HAS to WIN! everyone made the EXACT same deck and did the EXACT same combos.

Sacrifice Treeborn, summon monarch, take away my cards, resummon treeborn frog from grave summon monarch, take away my cards, resummon treeborn frog from graveyard summon monarch TAKE AWAY MY CARDS!

Also annoyed me those decks had no themes. Mines was Earth/Machine/Ancient Gears. So it made sense for me to have a Cyber Dragon! Not them!

The Cyber Dragon cards were fucking rad.

#34 Posted by Dimsey (951 posts) -

I've played both at various stages but my TCG of choice has always been Magic: The Gathering.
Mainly because I can't be bothered really learning any others.

#35 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11631 posts) -

I bought a ton of Pokemon cards as a kid, never actually played the game outside of the GBC release. Never bought any Yu-Gi-Oh cards, as I think I was into Magic by the time that was relevant. Watched both of the shows, which is mostly useful for me as an adult by virtue of all of those abridged series that show up.

#36 Posted by Molenator85 (222 posts) -

Blue Eyes White Dragon would make a killer cocaine slang name.

#37 Posted by TruthTellah (8803 posts) -

Yes. I competed in Pokemon TCG tournaments, won a few, and ran one of the most popular American websites surrounding it. I eventually moved on and the site's domain was bought by Nintendo.

Those were really good times.

#38 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4956 posts) -
#39 Edited by SunBroZak (1083 posts) -

I watched both Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon when I was growing up, and I was really into collecting Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I still have them all in a box somewhere. I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Unfortunately the actual card game was banned in my school as it was considered a form of gambling. (we'd often wager cards for whoever won)

I did play a decent amount of the Tag Force games on the PSP though.

#40 Posted by probablytuna (3619 posts) -

I collected both..... Though I only collected Pokemon, whereas I actually dueled with Yu-Gi Oh cards.

#41 Edited by TechHits (1377 posts) -

I've never once played an actual game of pokemon, but I had a lot of cards.

But I played the shit out of yu gi oh.

#42 Posted by Hennet_sim (339 posts) -

I dabbled in Yugioh a little bit still have a deck that I use if I am around people that play. I could never get into it as much as I wanted to. It was probably the price of cards and how they keep making older cards completely useless.

I have able to get into Magic the Gathering were I would win or come up pretty high in tournaments. I typically uses blue/black or blue/white decks I love the control and how it offered me others ways to win other than brute force like milling and poison. Understanding how to completely abuse the stack and turn orders. That is properly why I could never get into Yugioh is because I could not find a effective way to win other than brute force.

I played one game of the Pokemon card game I had no ideal what I was doing never tried again. I do play the Pokemon Video Game competitively.

#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I was into Magic. Went to tournies on the weekends and had a ton of fun. I watched the YuGiOh anime and enjoyed playing the video games, but I never got into the physical card game. Never knew anyone who played it outside of some really young kids in school since it came out when I was pretty old. I collected pokemon cards for awhile just because I loved Pokemon and liked looking at the pictures, but I never knew someone who played and I don't think I ever had enough cards for a full deck. I did however get the gameboy game and played the living fuck out of it.

#44 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1062 posts) -

I had pokemon cards because everyone else had them and I tried to play it but I could never get the hang of it. As for yugioh I actually learned how to play it but I was getting a bit older and learned that my money was better off spent on other crap like video games like THPS3.

I think in the end I gave away most of my Yugioh cards for $2 and all my pokemon cards for an N64 expansion pack lol.

I think the majority of Giant Bomb is young but I'm gonna ask anyways. Do any of you remember Crazy Bones?

#45 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

My brothers played Magic with me as a kid, they'd play with a great deck and give me utter shit. I eventually got into Yu-Gi-Oh for whatever reason; show was funny/stupid. Eventually I realized what an atrocious waste of money cards are and just gave away my deck to some younger kid. I'm glad I ever watched Yugioh though, it makes Yugioh abridged that much funnier.

#46 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2244 posts) -

Tradeed pokemon cards and learned how to play via the gameboy game. I only had one other peeson to play yu-gi-oh and I stopped playing all together because that dude got way to deep into buying cards (in the period of a month he had obtained MULTIPLE booster boxes and made sure I knew it)

#47 Edited by Hector (3359 posts) -

I used to collect and trade Pokemon cards, never got into the actual game. In high school I really got into Yu-Gi-Oh, every lunch period we had a whole table just for dueling. -_-