Edited 9 months, 1 day ago

Poll: Best of Baker 2013 (161 votes)

Bioshock: Infinite (Booker DeWitt) 22%
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Nightwing, Sinestro) 0%
The Last of Us (Joel) 60%
Saints Row IV (Male Player #1) 8%
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Hawkeye, J.A.R.V.I.S., Loki) 1%
Batman: Arkham Origins (The Joker) 9%

Haven't seen anyone else make a poll for this yet so i thought it would be good to have one to decide which Troy Baker character was the best in 2013. If there's another role in a less popular video game which you liked then feel free to post it.

#1 Posted by Jedted (2374 posts) -

I like his take on The Joker, it's a little closer to Heath Ledger in terms of darkness but still has the whimsical humor. I hope they keep him in future Batman games.

#2 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3103 posts) -

Troy Baker was good everywhere, but I'm gonna give this one to Arkham Origins. Hamill's Joker is a tough act to follow, maybe the toughest, but he pulls it off extremely well.

#3 Posted by Baillie (4194 posts) -

The Joker, easily. If you're voting for anyone else, you're pretty wrong.

#4 Edited by csl316 (8765 posts) -

He was great everywhere, but I think he was at his best bringing a complex character like Joel to life.

#5 Edited by Zeik (2488 posts) -

His Joker was good, but it was mainly good because of how closely he managed to mimic Mark Hamill's Joker, not because he managed to bring something unique to the role. Joel will always be synonymous with Troy Baker though, so that gets my vote.

#6 Posted by TheBluthCompany (389 posts) -

I like his SRIV boss, but Laura Bailey is MY boss.

#7 Edited by Castiel (2637 posts) -

It's been a pretty good year for Troy.

His Joker was really good, and I actually liked Origins, but my vote goes to Joel.

#8 Edited by Andorski (5331 posts) -

The Joker. He took on the role after Mark Hamill's legendary run on the character and did not miss a beat.

#9 Posted by ZolRoyce (709 posts) -

I like his SRIV boss, but Laura Bailey is MY boss.

Why you dirty low down completely correct person, Laura Bailey is the boss!

With that being said, it's hard to choose a best VO performance for mister Troy 'dreamy eyes' Baker, the Joker was a nice surprise in how well it was done, but I think I have to give the edge to Bioshock, Joel was great, but I feel like Joel would have been great with any number of voice actors, but Troy really made Booker as far as I'm concerned.

#10 Posted by SlashDance (1818 posts) -

He was amazing as The Joker, but even better as Joel in my opinion, so that's my vote.

#11 Posted by BigJeffrey (5025 posts) -

was he as the joker just trying to mimic mark's (we are on a first name basis) joker?

#12 Posted by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

Booker

#13 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4825 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

was he as the joker just trying to mimic mark's (we are on a first name basis) joker?

I don't think it's ever been addressed but I can understand how he got to that voice. Whenever I hear the Joker's dialogue in my head (like reading a comic or whatever) it's Hamill's voice I hear. I imagine that's the same for a lot of people.

#14 Posted by wjb (1666 posts) -

So is Troy Baker now the Hansel of video game voice actors, and Nolan North is Derek Zoolander?

#15 Posted by Hunter5024 (5707 posts) -

@wjb said:

So is Troy Baker now the Hansel of video game voice actors, and Nolan North is Derek Zoolander?

He's so hot right now.

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

@wjb said:

I would watch that movie.

#17 Edited by Yummylee (21763 posts) -
@wjb said:

They each even have the same hair colour.

Anywhoo I haven't played Origins, and while I'm sure he's great in it as The Joker, it must be pretty fucking up there to top one of the best performances--being Joel--in a video game -- full stop.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (21763 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

I don't think it's ever been addressed but I can understand how he got to that voice. Whenever I hear the Joker's dialogue in my head (like reading a comic or whatever) it's Hamill's voice I hear. I imagine that's the same for a lot of people.

Plus he is still technically voicing Mark Hamil's Arkham series Joker, so it would make sense for him to imitate his style.

#19 Posted by Bulby33 (595 posts) -

I would say Joel from the Last of Us since I didn't even know it was him!

Joker is a close second, though. It wasn't quite as good as Hamill but it's as close as anyone is going to get.

#20 Posted by DoctorDonkey (296 posts) -

Gonna have to go with Joel. I had no idea it was even him until about 5 hours in, when he said said a couple words without the accent and I went "huh, that kinda sounds familiar, I better look it up".

To me, the first 20 minutes of that game beats anything else Baker has done in the past.

#21 Posted by NTM (7411 posts) -

Joel then Booker, then... Well, that doesn't matter to me.

#22 Edited by NTM (7411 posts) -

@bulby33 said:

I would say Joel from the Last of Us since I didn't even know it was him!

Joker is a close second, though. It wasn't quite as good as Hamill but it's as close as anyone is going to get.

Interesting, but something perhaps even more amazing is Nolan North's work in it. I hadn't known he voiced David until I had beaten the game. I think it's probably the best he's ever done to sound different for a character; even as I play it today, though I can somewhat notice it slightly better now, he sounds very little of how he normally does as characters such as Drake and Desmond.

#23 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

the bakers

#24 Edited by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

This seems like a great forum for me to brag about my signature from Troy Baker. Sadly I was unable to attend the convention he was appearing in earlier this year in London, but some of my family did go (my Sister is a Manga artist and in turn actually had a stall at the convention - you can check out her work here if you like). Anyway, here's the image that was taken by my Mother. I gave her a note explaining who he was (and why he is one of my favourite people in the industry) and she said she ended up showing him it and he blushed a little. She's been to many conventions over the years with my Sister and even said he was the nicest celebrity she's ever met. What an awesome guy. Here's the image, he has signed a picture of Snow Villiers, a card that came with the Final Fantasy XIII-2 Collectors Edition:

#25 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

That's tough. I didn't play Arkham Origins so I can't talk about Joker, so it's really down to Booker Dewitt vs. Joel. Joel is a more complicated character to play, covers a much larger range, and is so different from his normal voice that it was tough to recognize him. However, that part was kind of a problem, as I wondered for quite a bit of the game whether or not it actually was Troy Baker, which was kind of distracting, and after definitively finding out it was Troy Baker, I was distracted again, but this time by how different he was from the character. Booker had fewer distractions of that ilk, and also had the awesome guitar and end credits scene. So I'll give it to Booker. However, if we include out of game bonus footage, this would push Joel into the lead. Nevertheless, a great competitive year for the Bakers. Surprised this was not a GOTY category, or at least the recipient of a new Nolan North's Nolan North Award for Most Omnipresent Voice Actor

#26 Edited by endaround (2146 posts) -

Lego Marvel because its has Baker's Loki.

#27 Edited by Rafaelfc (1350 posts) -

Last of Us is absolutely his best performance.

But an honorable mention to his Joker which was pitch perfect. Outstanding performance.