PS4 version will use Lab Zero's drivers (PS3 sticks OK)

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Mentioned in today's PlayStation blog update.

"The big update: Ultra Street Fighter IV will support PS4 FightSticks, of course. But we’ve also included Lab Zero’s drivers so that USFIV will support licensed PS3 FightSticks as well."

I was surprised because of MadCatz and Capcom's deal for Street Fighter V (and just being cynical I guess), but this is awesome news for people who want to play with a stick on PS4 but don't want to spend the $200 to get a stick.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I think with MKX supporting legacy devices it set the tone for this kind of stuff. I hope Tekken 7 and other future fighting games do this as well.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Good on 'em. I would've bet anything they wouldn't do it, but in cases like this I'm glad I'm wrong.

I wonder if it's safe to assume SFV will follow suit? Either way, I hope this gets other developers to reconsider and by "other developers," I specifically mean ASW.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@babychoochoo: I wouldn't assume that at all. It's a thousand times more likely now than before since this sets a precedent, but on the other hand SFIV and SFV are in two different situations.

With SFIV people are probably going to continue playing on 360 same as they've always done. People have friends on that system, the netcode is the same as it's always been (not terrible, but not fantastic), people mostly have 360 sticks, and there's always the best competition on 360.

However for events, people for a while had to get PS3 sticks, until more recently. That means a lot of people still have PS3 sticks lying around. Or they went and got dual-modded sticks. Or can still pick up PS3 sticks for pretty cheap, compared to PS4 sticks. What Capcom is doing here is letting people make an easier transition to PS4 for events for people who were playing the game before and who didn't exactly jump for joy at the idea of playing the same game on a different system with a new stick.

However I would still be unsurprised if SFV didn't support this. People will have gotten used to playing on PS4 by that point for events, and Capcom knows people will still shell out for a new stick for the new game. The most likely cases I think of Capcom putting in Lab Zero's driver for SFV are either doing it out of good will (remember they're a business so this isn't too likely per se), or they find people are just playing on PC with their old stick anyway. People going to events are probably going to buy PS4 sticks if they can't use PS3 sticks, but if they can they'll just stick to PS3 sticks, thus making less money for Madcatz and such.

Anyway in the end Mike Z is the man and Lab Zero is the best.