So, for those of us just watching..

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BladedEdge

So, the few full LPs of this, yes already, I have found don't seem to be based off of a like, hey I know the best/worst solutions. In a game like this plenty of things 'could' happen and some things that seem like they matter don't and on and on but..

For those of us, like me, who can't play horror games due to being scarcity cats and/or just prefer seeing someone else play them..I wonder how long it is going to take for someone to upload a nice full play though (hopefully trashy commentary free) version of "the good" ending and "the worst" ending.

From a 'I'm just watching it' Perspective, those would be the two permutations of this I'd be interested to see. Like I know there is already video of the best and worst endings..but not that I can see the 6+ hours of game-play that gets you there.

Thus this thread. For myself and others who come to this series later. If anyone finds, knows or, or posts such, let us know! If/when I find such, I'll update this thread.

Obviously not a good idea for those wanting to buy/play this themselves first to go looking for this but hey. Not everyone's got time to replay this 4 or 5 times to see such play-throughs themselves either so, useful for you too I'd say.

tl;dr LetsPlay Resource for a "Best/Worst Full lets play" of this game. If I find it first good, if you do, great. Less work for everyone to keep it all in one place. (also typos, haha)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

...scarcity cats

I got a kick out of this typo

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BladedEdge

@Mike: Man, you know what? My typing has always been bad, and I do my best to catch it all.

But hey, if you found it funny, maybe other people will. So I'll leave it as it is, just note it in the tl:dr

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

Just watch Mary Kish's Gamespot stream. She doesn't end up with the best or worst ending, but I doubt you'll find many LP's that are as fun to watch. I kinda hate horror movies and games, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching her stream from last night.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@zeik said:

Just watch Mary Kish's Gamespot stream. She doesn't end up with the best or worst ending, but I doubt you'll find many LP's that are as fun to watch. I kinda hate horror movies and games, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching her stream from last night.

Wait, Mary Kish did a full stream of that game? That seems like it would be entertaining.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man... I very much am going to buy and play this at some point, and yet I very much want to watch Mary Kish's stream. I mean, I could watch it and still have my own experience when I buy the game, so it wouldn't *really* be a spoiler in the strictest sense...

Ughhhhhhh.

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@zeik said:

Wait, Mary Kish did a full stream of that game? That seems like it would be entertaining.

here is the archive to her stream

Loading Video...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@evildeadron: Thanks for the embed. I'll have to check this out.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BladedEdge

Yah as I stated there are a number of full play-throughs of this game already up on youtube. As someone who isn't likely to own a ps4 until FF7 the remake comes out though? I won't be playing it for many years, yet I want to see it completed..

But, restating but here we go, since this is a game with so many different variations, I might as well wait to see the 'Directors Cut', as it wore. That version which provides the best viewer, not player/user, experience. That then would be the two extremes. The best, and the worst possible endings. (I won't be detailed, for spoiler potential as to what constitutes that).

Like, in a game with 50+ different variations, the specific one you as a player get is worth seeing, cause you made it happen even if it isn't perfect. As a passive viewer though? I don't want to watch the same basic LP 3+ times I've no input/control over, not when they are all variations on "Well not quite the best/worst but different!"

Which of course will take time. Like I am going to have to let the game be out for long enough for someone to go "ok I know what all the choices I need to make is, and now I will record a LP of the game that's worth watching (i.e. that lets me hear the dialog, takes time to look at items, listen to audio, examine items in the menu and all that).

I know I'm not asking for the impossible, such things exist for every story driven game ever made, given time. I am just using this mostly as a one-stop setup for myself and GB people. When you go and beat this game yourself, if you'd rather watch the "And now, here's how it could have happen" only with a clear "This is the best/worst possible permutation of the story" you'll have that too, once I or someone else finds such.

That said, thanks for the link. For people just looking for a LetsPlay in general, hey, why not watch something others give praise too. Its not the exact one I made this thread to catalog, but it is exactly the sort of thing I mean for this thread to contain none the less.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wonderva

@zeik said:

Just watched the full Mark Kish Gamespot stream (11.5 GB download on twitch!)

The story was cool and all, but I was really really disappointed that it ended with basically the "Windego" being the actual killers. I had hoped that there weren't really any monsters at all and that the actual killer was one of the teens, and the game's choice of who the killer is depended on your in game decisions.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RazielCuts

@evildeadron: I really don't know how I feel about people Livestreaming the entirety of a game on the day of it's release, especially a site like Gamespot, you'd think they'd know better.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts People who want to play the game will skip it, and people who cannot play the game really appreciate them, what's the issue? Or does it just seem tasteless to you.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wonderva said:
@zeik said:

The story was cool and all, but I was really really disappointed that it ended with basically the "Windego" being the actual killers. I had hoped that there weren't really any monsters at all and that the actual killer was one of the teens, and the game's choice of who the killer is depended on your in game decisions.

That was kind of a neat little thing, I thought, especially after getting all the totems. Once you know that the psycho is well...not a slasher and that the wendigos are the killers it makes scenes earlier in the game make sense - like the noises in the distance, the fire at the start of the game, and the weird Predator vision. The game starts as Friday the 13th, becomes The Descent, and then ultimately you realize that you're just playing Wendigo. They even got the director of Wendigo to be in the game,

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeik

@evildeadron: I really don't know how I feel about people Livestreaming the entirety of a game on the day of it's release, especially a site like Gamespot, you'd think they'd know better.

If it wasn't for Mary's stream I never would have even considered picking this game up at all. It's so not my type of game, but I enjoyed watching that stream enough that I think I might pick it up at some point. Given how much player choice affects the outcome it's not the type of thing where you can get the whole experience just by watching someone else play it.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: @mikewhy:People who 'might' play the game is a bit disingenuous. This is a game that just came out, a site posted a walk through how one way it could've been played. I feel like a lot of people would've been like - 'Okay, that was a good ride, I don't need to see more.' And never pick it up. Like how the Last of Us or Walking Dead 'Let's Plays' have gone. Yeah, I'll just watch it, get what I need out of it, thats all I need. Not too sensitive on the folks who made the game to just destroy the need for a person playing through it. Yeah, they can do their on play through but do you really reckon how many are actually going to bother after that? To me this is the literal streaming a Choose Your Own Adventure when you know how it could finish.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wonderva said:
@zeik said:

That was kind of a neat little thing, I thought, especially after getting all the totems. Once you know that the psycho is well...not a slasher and that the wendigos are the killers it makes scenes earlier in the game make sense - like the noises in the distance, the fire at the start of the game, and the weird Predator vision. The game starts as Friday the 13th, becomes The Descent, and then ultimately you realize that you're just playing Wendigo. They even got the director of Wendigo to be in the game,

I agree that the Wendigo's were neat (I didn't even know they were based on something, thought they were original). It added action sequences to an otherwise point and click type of game. However, to me, it sorta diminishes the whole "choose your own adventure"/"decisions matter" bit. I know its probably impossible to have the game designers build a product where the actual killers depended on your decisions, but it would have been much much cooler!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wonderva said:
@donchipotle said:
@wonderva said:
@zeik said:

I agree that the Wendigo's were neat (I didn't even know they were based on something, thought they were original). It added action sequences to an otherwise point and click type of game. However, to me, it sorta diminishes the whole "choose your own adventure"/"decisions matter" bit. I know its probably impossible to have the game designers build a product where the actual killers depended on your decisions, but it would have been much much cooler!

I think decisions DO wind up mattering just not to the point where it fundamentally alters the story. The game has its narrative and you can't change that but you can influence the paths leading up to the resolution. This is both a good and bad thing. Example being that it's quite clear that Sam and Mike have plot armor up until the end because without them the big resolution can't happen, but say early on if you're not successful in getting to Jessica on time her segment in the mine won't happen - or if you DO save her but then Matt dies he won't be in the mines with her. Things happen in the game that can't be changed, Jessica will ALWAYS get kidnapped, Josh will ALWAYS be cut by the saw blade, Emily will ALWAYS go to the mines alone, but that's storytelling. What the player influences isn't so much the set pieces but how the characters handle with and react to things and if you find clues and such it influences how much they know about things. Ultimately the decisions don't fundamentally alter the game as you can't really start killing the characters in earnest until damn near the end anyway, but you can make it so the characters are way more vulnerable and susceptible to getting killed.

Except for Sam and Mike because they are the heroes of the story.

I think part of the issue was them hyping up the divergent pathing and such to such a degree, but that's marketing. Decisions and their outcomes aren't always obvious but they do change things, just not in the wide way people might want.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

@razielcuts said:

@zeik: @mikewhy:People who 'might' play the game is a bit disingenuous. This is a game that just came out, a site posted a walk through how one way it could've been played. I feel like a lot of people would've been like - 'Okay, that was a good ride, I don't need to see more.' And never pick it up. Like how the Last of Us or Walking Dead 'Let's Plays' have gone. Yeah, I'll just watch it, get what I need out of it, thats all I need. Not too sensitive on the folks who made the game to just destroy the need for a person playing through it. Yeah, they can do their on play through but do you really reckon how many are actually going to bother after that? To me this is the literal streaming a Choose Your Own Adventure when you know how it could finish.

I don't think you're using the word "disingenous" the right way there, but whatever. The fact of the matter is this is what modern gaming is like. Does it really matter in the end whether it's a site like Gamespot doing it or the hundreds of Youtubers and Twitch streamers? (Gamespot may be a big profressional company, but for streams like that they're just a drop in the bucket compared to some Youtubers in terms of viewers.) The reality is that if you just want to watch someone play through the entirety of a game day one without buying it yourself it is absurdly easy to do so. But I've seen no evidence to suggest that kills the potential sales of these games. You mentioned The Walking Dead and The Last of Us, yet those games are some of the most successful games for their respective companies ever. (The Walking Dead especially. It blew every other Telltale game out of the water in terms of sales.)

If this was really a significant problem you'd see a lot more attempts to fight this stuff, in the same way companies try to fight piracy, but that has not been happening in any way to that degree. Without solid data it's just speculation whether it's ultimately helpful or harmful, (it probably varies from game to game) but I think it's safe to assume it's more or less a non-issue.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19 frobie  Staff

If someone makes a Choose Your Own Adventure of this game on Youtube with each decision being a link to the next video, that would be amazing.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If the developers think that a full live stream of their game will hurt its sales, it would be well within their rights to ask twitch to remove it. Most devs, however don't do this because they recognize that twitch streams as free promotion for their game

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't know if its just reminding me of old Tool music videos, but I'm absolutely in love with the animation of the Wendigos

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By spankingaddict

Guys buy the game and support this awesomeness !

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BladedEdge

Seeing as the threads original intent got totally derailed, I, as OP, completely indorse this new line of dialog. If only to see my silly avatar picture on the front page, woho.

Oh and, spoilers,

Turns out you don't really need to see the 'best ending". As I dicussed/pointed out, somewhere I think, the way they do the ending is a bit..sad. Like "Hey guys uh, you lived, but we didn't write plot for every permutation of ya'll in chapters 9-10 so uh..just go back and wait to either be burned alive or sneak out the door, and we will see you again only in the credits. Likewise many times at the "this character could die now" stage, everything past that, where they might live, they are very much downplayed. Often completely out of the camera shot, dialog, or interactivity what so ever. The "welp ya'll turn back I'll climb this wall myself!' is the most blatent point, but say the "should I shoot the bite victim" scene also plays out this way, with the 'Nope, no I let her live" follow up being basicly the point at which said characters dialog ends.

In a game with so many choices it a shame to see it wrap up in a kind of narrow way..but really most games like this have to do so, or you end up having a massive amount of work put into content that only a fraction of the people playing your game will see.

And spoilers for my original topic intent.

As is I ended up watching a collection of play through, which got a majority of the characters out alive (Not the new girlfriend, nor I think the new boyfriend) I haven't seen what effect their presence may or may not have on the plot but I figure it to be similar to how the other none 'we must survive till the ending' 2 characters (bath chick and mike?) character cast are treated.

But that said, talk about about the game in general here is just fine. I would say that at some point someone will put up a 'perfect play-through' of this game, at which point hopefully someone links too it (me or someone else who finds it first). As, yup, I am sure everyone would like to see the best ending if only to skip to the bits you care to watch, just to see how it goes.

Avatar image for ddi_kazal_st_drebin
DDI_Kazal_St_Drebin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not watched a perfect play through but I read the results of one and all the other possibilities through wiki.

At first I was going to watch it on youtube for more or less the same reasons as OP but after looking up information on wiki I found that to be even a waste.

After understanding the plot the game lost thrill factor and I didn't even bother finish watching the series. I think I got into an hour of the game via youtube.

I did watch a video that showed the final few scenes of the all the kids making it because I wanted to see the ending wrap up-but for me simply knowing the plot of the game was enough to make the game un watchable.