Text-to-speech has been removed from the game.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The developers said on the Steam forums that there is an issue with the TTS servers and they have no ETA on when this feature will return. Apparently it's still in for premium users. This is the whole reason I wanted to play the game in the first place! Such a bummer.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

The developers said on the Steam forums that there is an issue with the TTS servers and they have no ETA on when this feature will return. Apparently it's still in for premium users. This is the whole reason I wanted to play the game in the first place! Such a bummer.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

The developers said on the Steam forums that there is an issue with the TTS servers and they have no ETA on when this feature will return. Apparently it's still in for premium users.

That's not a server issue

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theht said:

@angethedude said:

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Fuck Boyle

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@angethedude said:

The developers said on the Steam forums that there is an issue with the TTS servers and they have no ETA on when this feature will return. Apparently it's still in for premium users.

Well, it could be if they are having load issues. I'm sure only a tiny fraction of people who play the game are premium users, it's a lot easier to manage 500 connections than 5,000.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@angethedude: Yeah it was removed two or three days ago. Sucks. As soon as I went to play it and saw the message I was like "Nope."

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mb said:

@corruptedevil said:
@angethedude said:

Well, it could be if they are having load issues. I'm sure only a tiny fraction of people who play the game are premium users, it's a lot easier to manage 500 connections than 5,000.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like a server issue. I think the best evidence is in the Quick Look, where the speech lagged for about 15 seconds or more half the time.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah
No Caption Provided

That is heartbreaking. Hopefully they can resolve the issue soon.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, been that way for a while. The influx of Steam users and GB duders broke this already broken game almost beyond repair.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit. Never got around to playing it but it seems like the gaming equivalent of Birdemic: it's a total fucking travesty of a game, and yet it's all the better for it because it's so goddamn weird. I doubt that anybody's gonna continue playing this anymore unless the devs fix the bugs in it and bring text-to-speech back for free users

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thats what that patch notification was at the end of the QL. i went to play it that day and sure enough, the T2P was gone. its absolutely useless now and im not paying to have it.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big shame for the devs, I hope they get it fixed quickly. They have a bit of momentum at the moment. It would be a shame to waste it.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cirdain
@angethedude said:

They use someone else's server system to do the text to speech stuff and because the influx of people was so large and so sudden they were not prepare and are working to get it fixed. These guys aren't being shady, you've seen the game. They just aren't great developers (yeah I said it) so it's gonna take them a while to get that stuff fixed, at least their trying. :)

http://community.velvetsundown.com/index.php?topic=191.0 - RIGHT NOW: Text-to-speech feature temporarily unavailable

Unfortunately we are facing some issues with the text-to-speech feature so there are no voices in the game at the moment. We have contacted our text-to-speech service operator and they should be able to fix it soon.

UPDATE: We had to disable the voices temporarily. ETA is currently a couple of hours according to our text-to-speech provider.

UPDATE2: Unfortunately we can't provide ETA at the moment - this is taking longer than we expected.

UPDATE3: We have re-enabled the voices but it seems that the TTS server is down again. So no voices for now.

UPDATE 4: It seems that the TTS server is down again. So no voices for now. We'll keep you updated.

UPDATE 5: We had to disable the voice system for free games for the time being due to the high demand. This is not a permanent decision and we are currently discussing with our TTS provider for a solution. Voices are available for premium users.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just listened to the Bombcast and they mentioned this issue. Still bummed! I will not bother to play without this feature since that is the main selling point of the game for non-crazy people.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I AM TENNIS

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its probably a server load issue, if it still exists for premium users. Not enough servers, so they prioritize paying customers, seems fair.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That's really unfortunate! Hopefully they figure something out soon.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Well, that game is dead to me now then. *uninstalls*

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep, that was pretty much the one thing the game had going for it.

Though why the hell didn't they put the text to speech engine client side? makes no sense to me, it's not like voice recognition that benefits from a central database or anything, it's just freaking text to speech... maybe it has to do with licensing or something.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@onarum said:

yep, that was pretty much the one thing the game had going for it.

Though why the hell didn't they put the text to speech engine client side? makes no sense to me, it's not like voice recognition that benefits from a central database or anything, it's just freaking text to speech... maybe it has to do with licensing or something.

The TTS stuff is pretty decent it seems to be handled out of house, it does sadly make the game lose something.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Downloaded the game instantly after the quick look. Thanks for the heads up, I may never play this game now.

Fix this, developer. Thanks.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I mean, their business plan is complete garbage. They're giving away half the game for free, and if you don't like that half, you can wait a week and play the other half when they swap scenarios.

If they wanna break out the text-to-speech stuff to make any money at all, good for them.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

How much does the premium service cost?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@bocam: 5 bucks sounds pretty reasonable to me for some stupid entertainment...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

That's a huge disappointment. I hope they can get it back online soon because until then this sucks for everyone involved.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bollard

Don't get why it's a subscription - I imagine they plan to add more scenarios but I'd rather just pay a flat fee and buy extras as DLC or something.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@theht said:

@angethedude said:

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Fuck Boyle

But he's opening a club. A drug club. 50 might be there. "In Da Club."

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By monkeyking1969

Ummm, it fairly obvious that GB, taking about and showing off the game, increased demand on the servers by 10,000%. It probably also means a 10,000% jump in sales...but, well, we will see how this pans out.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Ruiner

Well there goes any hope that I'll play it...

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@bollard said:

Don't get why it's a subscription - I imagine they plan to add more scenarios but I'd rather just pay a flat fee and buy extras as DLC or something.

This whole thread is about how their servers are being overloaded by the amount of users. The more paying members they have, the quicker everyone else gets to hear the speech.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

This whole thread is about how their servers are being overloaded by the amount of users. The more paying members they have, the quicker everyone else gets to hear the speech.

Preeeetty sure you misunderstood what I said.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Y2Ken

It's kinda weird that it's a subscription, but if you wanna mess around with the TTS stuff then 5 bucks for a month seems perfectly reasonable to me. Bear in mind if you didn't subscribe you only have access to one scenario, so you'd probably get bored fairly quickly. If you don't care about playing the game and just wanna type dumb stuff for a computer to read, there's plenty of easy and free options available to you elsewhere.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well no voice means no slice for this game. I'm done.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think asking you to pay them any money to use the voices is some travesty like some people's reactions seem to suggest.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By eccentrix

@bollard: You were talking like the subscription pays for content, when it really mostly just supports the server stuff.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pyrodactyl

Paying the 5 bucks or whatever for a month seems reasonable. You will get the ridiculous text to speech and 12 year olds yelling dirty words over and over again don't tend to pay for stuff so you won't get matched with them. Win win.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bollard

@bollard: You were talking like the subscription pays for content, when it really mostly just supports the server stuff.

I was saying if they had made the game paid rather than F2P with a pointless subscription model I'd be more interested, and they'd probably have a better turnover rate. Right now what they offer for the subscription is terrible value for money. If I paid to unlock everything say for $20 and they released new levels at $5 a pop then it would surely be more sustainable, and better value.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By galiant

I tried a game yesterday (no voices) and I haven't been that bored by a game in a long time.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By eccentrix

@bollard said:

@eccentrix said:

I was saying if they had made the game paid rather than F2P with a pointless subscription model I'd be more interested, and they'd probably have a better turnover rate. Right now what they offer for the subscription is terrible value for money. If I paid to unlock everything say for $20 and they released new levels at $5 a pop then it would surely be more sustainable, and better value.

Oh, I didn't know you were talking about it from their side of things. Right now, what would be best for them is for everyone to move to the UK, because due to their currency stuff, I'm paying what I think is closer to $10 per month. Other than that, I have no idea what would be best for them financially.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Follow me to bone town.