Any news about Dawn of War 3?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war."

I'm saddened that I cannot seem to find any traces of Dawn of War III. We're closing in on August 2014 and no news. Nothing. I know Sega has the rights to both WHF and WH40K and that they're messing around with the Warhammer Fantasy license and Creative Assembly - but how that somehow should block WH40K activity, and more importantly the future of Dawn of War, is beyond me. These games were a success and in true spirit of the milking culture of today's franchises, Sega with their FM and Total War series for example, of all the IPs to freeze they froze DoW, how annoying is that. I'd like to hear some news, as I can imagine some of you guys would as well. DoW can't have been canned for good, right?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I heard nothing about this ... did they ever mention there would be a DoW3? ... I really would like to see that since DoW2 and the Addon were really great.

[edit:] Ohhh ... didn't THQ make DoW? ... It's probably dead :/

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Relic too busy on Company Of Heroes and expansions I figure..

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard nothing about this ... did they ever mention there would be a DoW3? ... I really would like to see that since DoW2 and the Addon were really great.

Relic made DoW and they are now owned by Sega, who currently has the rights to Warhammer. So it COULD happen.... but nothing has ever been said in relation to it.

Relic seem to be content to just make random skins and commanders for CoH2 for now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@marz said:

Yeah this. Maybe we'll get another DoW another 2-4 years from now.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dawn of War isn't canned but the third game was never in production, there is still a possibility for another one so hold out hope.

Right now they have the Vanilla and first expansion, chaos rising, of dawn of war 2 in beta. They are transferring over to Steamworks and providing dedicated servers.

The way things are shaping up, and the support they are providing Company of Heroes 2 with smaller expansions. Their next big thing is going to be Warhammer related.

Don't give up hope brothers.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@marz said:

Less than that, about a year or 2 at most. The latest company of heroes 2 expansion was smaller than any other previous relic expansion. They are now supporting the old Dawn of War titles with open betas. They have to be working on something right now and when things are looking pretty, they will announce. Or this all could be the optimist in me projecting.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@ajamafalous said:
@marz said:

Less than that, about a year or 2 at most. The latest company of heroes 2 expansion was smaller than any other previous relic expansion. They are now supporting the old Dawn of War titles with open betas. They have to be working on something right now and when things are looking pretty, they will announce. Or this all could be the optimist in me projecting.

I feel like you're right though.

They should move on from Company of Heroes 2 at this point. What a bummer that game is (which I'd say is worrying but I like Relic so much otherwise that I'll cut them slack).

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is it that the game was never in production but the wiki says this:

"Dawn of War III is the 8th release in Relics esteemed Warhammer 40.000 RTS franchise and will have a much larger strategic component to it than previous titles, focusing on a more of a global battle while still retaining the squad-based action from previous titles."

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@2headedninja said:

Relic made DoW and they are now owned by Sega, who currently has the rights to Warhammer. So it COULD happen.... but nothing has ever been said in relation to it.

Relic seem to be content to just make random skins and commanders for CoH2 for now.

Pretty sure the Total War guys have the Warhammer Fantasy license, no 40k stuff. I don't think any games have come out yet under the Warhammer Fantasy title, though.

The 40k license is out there, used by multiple studios. I imagine that Dawn of War would be its own sub-40k franchise, though. Unless something's changed in the past 5 years or so, Blood Ravens were created just for Dawn of War and only existed in the DoW universe. Games Workshop gives access to its IP to a lot of different people, though.

Dawn of War F2P MOBA on iOS and Android by EA Mobile.

"It will take your Scouts 14hr 26min to get into that sniper position. Would you like to speed them up with a purity seal? 5Purity Seals for 100 Skulls. 10 Purity Seals for 500 Skulls. 100 Purisy Seals for 6000 Skulls BEST DEAL!"

"Your scouts are in position and will be ready to fire in 3 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes. Would you like to speed them up with bolter shells? 1 Bolter shell for 16.66 Purity Seals. 5 Bolter Shells for 92 Purity Seals BEST DEAL!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember reading a preview on Gamespot for the last DoW II expansion that came out where someone from Relic said they were in pre-production on the third game. But that was something like four years ago, so who knows what's going on with that.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this. Basically: "Relic loves DoW. No comment about plans to develop more games."

URL: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-29-relics-five-year-plan-for-company-of-heroes-2

DATED: Thursday, 29 May 2014

Company of Heroes is as important a part of Relic's future as it has been of its past, but what of Dawn of War? Back when THQ was still a thing, then core games boss Danny Bilson talked up the next entry in the much-loved Warhammer 40K strategy series, but it has yet to materialise.

So what, exactly, is going on with Dawn of War?

Duffy keeps his cards close to his chest, as you'd expect, but he does confirm that the rights to the brand survived the closure of THQ and the transition to Sega and remain with Relic. So, the studio is free to make a new Dawn of War game - if it wants.

But will it? Is a new Dawn of War being worked on?

"I can't say," Duffy replies. "We have a brilliant relationship with Games Workshop. We'd love to do something. It's a no comment on that."

It's clear Dawn of War remains close to Relic's heart. The studio even has a Dawn of War franchise design lead, Philippe Boulle, who recently served notice that all the Dawn of War games would be transferred to Steam in a bid to keep their multiplayer portions going.

So it's obvious Dawn of War is still alive. And so I press.

"It's a great franchise," Duffy says. "I love the Dawn of War stuff. It's a strong part of our history. Relic has some strong IPs. Dawn of War is almost an IP in of itself. It gave people the feeling they had from the tabletop. It was a great translation of the world. People at Relic play the game, they love it, and they're very sensitive about doing it right."

Given how lacklustre recent Warhammer 40K licensed games have been, fingers crossed someone somewhere deep within the bowels of Relic Entertainment is beavering away on a new game in the Dawn of War series.

---

That last part about lackluster Warhammer 40K licensed games couldn't be more true in my opinion. Most recently: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance is a good example of something that just seems thrown together for a quick buck on mobile phones (and PC apparently, yikes!). The MMO project, the Eternal Crusade, while in alpha looks really generic and again a game comes out that doesn't do the IP justice on PC.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By veektarius

Dawn of War 1 is my favorite multiplayer strategy game of all time and Dawn of War 2 has to be top 5 as far as single player goes. If they're taking their time to make sure they don't fuck it up, they're doing it right.

Where's that artillery?!!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Has it been confirmed that Sega actually owns the DoW license? My understanding is that wasn't acquired when they purchased Relic and that as of a few months ago there was no actual rights holder for the Dawn of War franchise.

Last thing I ever remember reading was this article.