• 66 results
Edited 1 year, 13 days ago

Poll: Adam Sesslar goes on a rant about Nintendo, do you agree? (158 votes)

He makes a point Nintendo does need to step there game up... 78%
I totally disagree with everything he said... 3%
Some of his points I'll agree on,but not all of them... 19%

(Skip to 31:43 for Nintendo discussion)

I agree on what Adam said about Nintendo. They should fire their top-management, and get someone else that can help Nintendo go forward. The wii u ain't doing to good, and the lack of games ain't getting people to buy the console..

#51 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

But third parties love Nintendo, guys!

PLAY THE GAME.

#52 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@mrsignerman44 said:

@darji: Firing Miyamoto? I don't know about that man...

No not firing him. People don't get fired much in Japan anyway. I am talking about getting rid of him from board of directors and put him just in charge of game development and getting rid of Iwata as CEO. And hail you defend everything Nintendo does so yeah you could easily seen as a fanboy. That aside I said these people and their old thinking and yes the reason for their thinking is that they are old as well. Old Japanese people in these positions have still a very old way of thinking. That is why most of the successful Companies in Japan right now have relatively younger people in these positions or at least some of them are.

#53 Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) -

But third parties love Nintendo, guys!

PLAY THE GAME.

They loved them so much that they had to abandon them LOL!.

#54 Edited by Hailinel (23871 posts) -

@hailinel: Well if I'm off about being a Nintendo fanboy I apologize it just seems like every time there's a thread about something dumb Nintendo's doing you're playing defence pretty hard.

I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm generally a lot more supportive of Nintendo than a lot of people around here. I know that they make poor decisions, and some of them do make me really cringe. But at the same time, if someone is going to mount an attack on board members or employees and pinpoint them as the source of all the company's problems, they need to provide much more sufficient evidence than their age. And even though the board is largely in their sixties, bringing in younger blood (or western blood) wouldn't necessarily mean that the new blood is better for the company. To remove someone from the board, there needs to be a justifiable reason why you'd want to replace them with someone else, and you'd also want to have someone in mind to replace them.

Judging the men on the board, most of whom aren't well-known aside from Miyamoto, without actually knowing how they interact, what roles they've played in various decisions, and how receptive they'd be to certain changes, is not a smart move. That's just blatant ignorance. It does nothing to pinpoint any specific problem and lays blame at a target in general that may or may not have anything to do with what people are complaining about. While new blood might help them out, just pointing to the board, shouting "Fuck you all!" and replacing them all with new bodies is a comically inept solution.

#55 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3783 posts) -

@hailinel: Fair enough. I think that idea is just indicative of the problem, whoever is making the decisions needs some help.

#56 Posted by ilovebees (75 posts) -

I feel like sometimes Nintendo can be a little too stubborn for their own good

#57 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@hailinel: Well if I'm off about being a Nintendo fanboy I apologize it just seems like every time there's a thread about something dumb Nintendo's doing you're playing defence pretty hard.

I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm generally a lot more supportive of Nintendo than a lot of people around here. I know that they make poor decisions, and some of them do make me really cringe. But at the same time, if someone is going to mount an attack on board members or employees and pinpoint them as the source of all the company's problems, they need to provide much more sufficient evidence than their age. And even though the board is largely in their sixties, bringing in younger blood (or western blood) wouldn't necessarily mean that the new blood is better for the company. To remove someone from the board, there needs to be a justifiable reason why you'd want to replace them with someone else, and you'd also want to have someone in mind to replace them.

Judging the men on the board, most of whom aren't well-known aside from Miyamoto, without actually knowing how they interact, what roles they've played in various decisions, and how receptive they'd be to certain changes, is not a smart move. That's just blatant ignorance. It does nothing to pinpoint any specific problem and lays blame at a target in general that may or may not have anything to do with what people are complaining about. While new blood might help them out, just pointing to the board, shouting "Fuck you all!" and replacing them all with new bodies is a comically inept solution.

AS I said I know a lot about japanese society and how the structures are in Japanese companies and I am not the only ne who thinks that this "japanese" traditional stubornness is one of the reasons Nintendo is in big trouble. Same goes for Iwata. He has lost a ton of trust already by the investors and even in the company itself. Also you can not completly change the whole board at once. However what you can do is putting new and a bit younger people in there with a future and also a vision as contrast to this traditional way of thinking Nintendo has.

And I am sorry but anyone above 70 should not handle business on this level anymore.

#58 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Cocaine is a hell of a drug, Sess.

"Paper Merry-O"

#59 Edited by Hunter5024 (5537 posts) -

I like what Nintendo is doing right now. I think most of the games they have coming out look really fun, and that's about all I could ask for. Sessler's insistence that these games should have been out already is just nonsense. What should they have done, rushed them and released them in a crappy state? Drastically dropped support of the 3ds? I just think that they're looking at this stuff so short term. Once they get this holiday's games out, and get the price of the Wii U a little lower, the sales will pick up a bunch.

#60 Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) -

I like what Nintendo is doing right now. I think most of the games they have coming out look really fun, and that's about all I could ask for. Sessler's insistence that these games should have been out already is just nonsense. What should they have done, rushed them and released them in a crappy state? Drastically dropped support of the 3ds? I just think that they're looking at this stuff so short term. Once they get this holiday's games out, and get the price of the Wii U a little lower, the sales will pick up a bunch.

Hopefully...

#61 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

If you do not have strong 3rd parties and a much weaker system you need to start with the big titles. Nintendo had a long head start and they did not capitalize anything in this time frame. When the new consoles come out they will have a hard time getting any attention at all.

#62 Posted by Unilad (555 posts) -

WiiU, is that like a new console or something?

#63 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2562 posts) -

Anything radical they do now, even well planned smart things will takes years to reach fruition. Imagine if they said, "Okay Wii U really isn't working, so we are making a new console with roughly the same guts as PS4/XbOne." What would be the timeline?

Even if they shamelessly copied PS4 and XbOne, there woudl be a ton of OS and hardware issues. Just prototyping the system would take a full year even if shamelessly copied. Developing games even if WiiU games are converted over to take advantage of PS4-like hardware would take time to polish. That means even starting today Nintendo could not put out their next system until Nov 2014 and that is working around the clock without snags.

To really do this right, they would need to develop a new system AND double the amount and size of their internal development studios. The HD games need bigger teams. But, on top of a new system and bigger teams they have already they need more developement studios because they really do need more content too.

Therefore do do what makes sense they need to not only change everything, they need to calm a PR nightmare of abandoning a system, they need to quell the fears of fans, they need to convince 'jaded gamers' that "this time" they really are changing....and they need to do it all in 17 months. So, to do that with all the snags it will take 2 years. Imagine where Sony and Microsoft will be in 2 years. ... And, that is why they are unwilling to move.

#64 Posted by budgietheii (155 posts) -

@falserelic:

Nope. Was the most played of my consoles for the last 3-4 months. Off screen play is a game changer in a single telly house. The multiplayer sessions around release were priceless as well.

Dropped off a bit this month having finally bought a copy of XCOM...

#65 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: They are on a tech level Sony and Microsoft were in 2006 and that is the biggest problem. Maybe no one would care if the system is highly under powered but the rest is good and on today standards. But nothing is. Not the market, not the OS, not the marketing and also the games have not even reached today's standard.

#66 Edited by danm_999 (74 posts) -

Yeah finding out that the fact nobody on Nintendo's board is below 60 just made a whole bunch of things that have happened in the last few years make sense. Startling lack of age diversity there. No wonder you hear all this stuff about difficulties in developing HD, janky online systems and general misunderstanding of Let's Plays and gaming tournaments.

I mean, I don't expect 20 year olds, but shit, that is a leadership that is totally missing out on input from a hell of a lot of demographics important to gaming.

#67 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2133 posts) -

If you're getting stomped by the Vita, then you know something's gone terribly wrong.