Wolfenstein: New World Order Ending

oaktownacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By oaktownacid

Wolfenstein was an excellent call back to old-school shooters. And the story wasn't half-bad either.

Sure, it's tone and characters could have used some work. One could be reminded of the mixture of Nazi-killing ultra-violence and serious drama to something like Inglorious Basterds. Granted, this would be a better comparison if in the opening scene during the Hans Landa interrogation Brad Pitt just busted in, Thompson guns akimbo, and ended the Nazi spree right there. But I digress. What Machine Games did with Wolfenstein still showed a better focus on a single-player FPS storyline then most games in the genre today.

So, story in mind, what did you guys feel about the ending?

(SPOILERS)

You defeat Deathshead, the resistance escapes, and the game leaves off with B.J. approving the drop of a nuke on his position. After the credits, a helicopter can be heard, as if getting closer.

With all that you've accomplished, the story kind of leaves you off on a bit of a cliffhanger. I couldn't help but get a 'Halo 2'-feeling from it. Did anybody feel the same way? Disappointed about the ending, or hopeful for maybe future DLC to fill in the gap?

(EDIT: would it be cool to see a new protagonist in the future? Maybe Anya as a playable protagonist? Maybe a new generation of Hitler being a final boss in a totally new setting?)

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I liked how it ended. I didn't wait through the credits to hear that bit though. I do hope there is some DLC. And I would welcome a sequel.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Corevi

The only problem I have with it is that you never deal with Frau Engel. I expect there will be some DLC but there's been no season pass so who knows?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I thought it was a pretty solid ending. It wrapped up the story and Blazkowicz's character pretty well, and the Kreisau circle hit the Nazis pretty hard. That Frau Engle's still alive doesn't bother me, it sounds like a sequel hook and I'd totally buy a sequel to this game starring a new Wolfenstein protagonist. Or maybe they could just drop the whole "Wolfenstein" name and call it "The New Order 2", a name which I like a little better.

But I'm rambling. I thought it was a good ending.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I didn't love the ending, but I didn't hate it either. It was pretty lackluster considering the quality of storytelling the rest of the game had. More than anything, I wish the last boss was more of a challenge. When you drop down into the basement and it's just you and your full arsenal against Deathshead in a classic FPS boss fight, it's definitely one of those "Hell yeah!" moments, but he goes down so easily, even on higher difficulties.

I don't think BJ is dead. He's the original FPS hero for fuck's sake. There's no way they would kill him off. I didn't notice the helicopter sound in the credits, but I've heard a lot of people mention that so I trust that it happens. I suspect there will be a sequel at some point, or at least I really hope so, and I hope Machine Games does it again. Frau Engel is still alive, and for all we know, Hitler is still alive, too, although there is only one fleeting reference to his existence in the entire game. Who knows?

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_: What the hell, he definitely does not go down easily on Uber. ~5 hits and you're pretty much dead. I died about 4 times to him before I just ran around in circles while shooting the LKW at his feet and it took me about 5 minutes of straight up running around Mecha-Deathshead before he died.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By mike

The ending was fine but I don't feel like killing Totenkopf really accomplished anything as far as trying to dismantle the worldwide Nazi war machine. Maybe DLC will address that and Frau Engel's fate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mb: Ditto, I thought the same thing when I finished the game.

"Um, guys, there's still like a shitload of Nazis out there, maybe we should stop drinking and put away the celebratory pie for now...?"

Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@mb: But Caroline addresses that during the course of the story. She says something to the effect that killing Deathshead won't win the war. It's about turning the tide. By eliminating Deathshead they eliminate the Nazi's ability to continue to make innovative new technologies. Plus, they find the source of the Nazi tech (they stole it from Da'at Yichud). So it makes sense that, going forward they will continue to take the fight to the Nazis. To be fair though I just want BJ to get the ending that most protagonists these days don't get....a happy ending with Anya. Call me naive, but that man has seen some terrible, terrible shit. And if all he wants is to settle down with Anya, have a house in the burbs with a BBQ and a couple of kids, and live in peace for the rest of his days....then I don't think that's too much to ask.

Considering that this sold pretty well I imagine they'll make a sequel. Plus, this game follows the classic film narrative trope of not letting you see the body at the end. You never see the place get nuked. You never see the aftermath of BJ's call for the airstrike. So in all likelyhood, the resistance rescues him at the last minute, nukes the place, and the next game will pick up sometime after that moment.

As for the ending, I thought it was alright in that (1) If they get to make a sequel, it will be a good place to pick up from and (2) if they don't, then hey it's a decent place for them to end their time with the series. I hope they make some DLC for this, but I'm not holding my breath.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By csl316

Just finished the game, which I've been playing on and off since release. Loved it, easily one of the best of the year for me. The gunplay felt so damn good, and the story and characters just cemented this as one of my favorite FPS campaigns in a while.

Anyway, I thought the ending was very impactful. When the credits hit and the music started playing, I actually got chills.

It was sad, melancholy, but I was grinning ear to ear as it ended. These days, I'll pick up my phone during credits and read up about a movie or game. But I just sat there transfixed. For once, I listened to the lyrics and saw how perfectly they fit. If you haven't seen the ending in a while, check it out again.

Also, I took out the last boss with twin rocket launchers. It was the first time all game where it occurred to me that I could do that. It was incredible.

They wrapped up this story, which was taking out Deathshead and striking a major blow to the regime. The final few missions really hit a nice crescendo for me, and having a fully powered, lock-on laser gun took out some of the frustration that some of the bigger enemies originally presented. So you felt powerful despite having a pretty challenging game up to that point (on Death Incarnate, anyway). It was a fantastic ending to me in every way. And (allegedly) killing your main character after a successful mission is something a lot of games won't do. With a heartbroken Frau Engel out there and the resistance scoring a huge win, a sequel can take a very Empire Strikes Back approach to what it does next. With all the occult stuff, B.J. would probably come back somehow because they finally built him up as a character. But it worked as a cap to this story. It all did to me and gave me more closure than Halo 2, which someone mentioned above.

I loved previous Starbreeze games, and I'm super excited that MachineGames and the remaining team that worked on Brothers are both making games at different scales. On the shooter end, they refined their mechanics to an amazing degree, feeling as good as FEAR or Halo.

What I'm trying to say is that like Brothers, Wolfenstein will be one of the top ten games of the year.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes, DLC for this game please. It checks for "dlc" when you first boot it up, and it didn't have any pre order stuff for it to be checking for that, so I hope Zenimax/Bethesda had faith and let Machinegames create some new stuff. Even non-story DLC and just short levels without cut scenes or anything would be cool. Let us re visit the moon, except this time let us actually fight Nazis in space. Or take us to castle Wolfenstein some more. Or hell, somewhere new entirely. The shooting feels waaay too satisfying to just leave off for a sequel, the gap would be too long.

The ending itself was meh to me, didn't like nor hate it, just thought it could've been fleshed out more. Felt too quick.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

(EDIT: would it be cool to see a new protagonist in the future? Maybe Anya as a playable protagonist? Maybe a new generation of Hitler being a final boss in a totally new setting?)

That popped into my head when I finished it. A sequel/DLC/something where you play as Anya and Frau Engel is the main antagonist(or at least an antagonist).

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What if the helicopter is the rebels coming back for BJ? What if they find his body and try to put him back together Robocop/MassEffect2 style? What if their attempt to bring back the way he was fails and he turns into an evil tyrant? What if the last boss in the next game is Mecha-BJ Blazkowicz?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

The ending did what the rest of the story did for me. I like what happens in concept and it has some genuinely incredible moments but it felt rushed and left me feeling both impressed and flat.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see Wolfenstein taken in a Boys From Brazil direction. Next game, Hitler is confirmed dead, and the Nazi's activate their contingency plan and unleash 13 Hitler clones that each rule part of the world, so the game is spent traveling the globe defeating the 13 clones in 13 boss battles.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein: The New Order is pretty much the dark horse of 2014.

Watch_Dogs got overhyped and was a letdown. Wolfenstein was underhyped and became the best game of early 2014.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@corvak: You could tell by the trailers that Wolfenstein was going to be much more interesting than Watch Dogs

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished this last night.I really enjoyed the game, but the ending was a bit weak for me. I played death Incarnate, which felt right. loved the action and thought decently of the story. Above par there for sure.

But some things were neglected or ignored. One was that BJ simply wasn't a normal dude. That got hinted at, like when BJ is pulling the knife out of his own heart, but that Bibki character (or whatever the spelling is), didn't get to hang around and continue his thought. BJ was more a regenerating machine, and I got a little suspicious of it. As for Frau Engel, losing her boy toy really seemed to hit her in the nards, so pay back there.

But the ending...I also took out Deaths Head with dual rockets and a little dual shotgun. That grenade trick however is one of the oldest in the books. But I have to keep in mind that not all was up front serious in that game, like BJ telling a bottled brain he was proud to have served with it(him). I just had to follow when the game was doing what, when some heavy themes were included.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Finished it yesterday. Loved every second of it. Aside from the Dumb AI and the lack of a after story horde mode or something, this was absolutely terrific.

So...I know the ending can be a bit frustrating, considering that the whole game B.J's ONLY real goal aside from stopping the Nazi's was settling down, but there are some factors I think that really make it a good end to the game. First of all, The Germans can't keep producing these complex advanced machinery because the guy who made it all happen was killed by B.J, that's a really big boost towards victory. Plus a running theme in the game is that there are some people who are born for War, and they're only true home is the battlefield. William was one of these people. Hell, even early on in the game, Fergus tells you that people die in war, we just have to play our parts. B.J Served his.

That being said, don't fret just yet guys, believe what you see and not what you hear. I have a hunch that B.J isn't dead just yet, because another prominent theme in the game, whether it was for a comedic purpose or not, was that B.J is basically un-killable, and people mention this all the time. He exists to kill Nazis, and we didn't see him die, he just says clear and it all fades to black.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm ok with the way it ended. Kind of hope he just died there because some perfect ending would have been too hokey for the sinister setting they set up. Great freaking game man.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This game man, so much better than I expected. I regret not paying full price for it now.

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The way Deathshead was dealt with seemed a little disappointing to me, but that is seriously one of the best games I have played in a while. So refreshing. Everything was done so damn well.