#1 Edited by troll93 (388 posts) -

So I have now put 16 hours into this game and thought that I would let you all know my thoughts on it.

1: It's not as bad as the yelling on the internet would have you believe. Are there bugs, yeah, for me personally it has been at about the same level of jank as Skyrim at launch, less than fallout 3. If you wanna wait until it is on a steam sale 3-4 months from now, that is probably the best course of action. The same situation with the performance. I have a rig that really should be getting more out of it, but it looks good and the framerate is never so low that it is felt.

2: They have changed that game from the previous games in the series. It is far easier to get into, still is more than a bit confusing in places but again, in 3-4 months it will just be a case of looking at a wiki when you are playing to explain the systems a bit better. Once you begin to understand what things do and why, it is actually not to bad. The best analogy that I can think of is Crusader Kings 2/Europa Universalis 4.

3: I have having fun with it even with the issues that it has. I enjoy establishing some profitable trade routes, upgrading my ship, fighting pirates and so one so forth and it is relatively solid in all these things. Even if you don't like trading, you are more than able to make enough money to do everything that you need from doing combat missions i.e. protect this space station, blow up this capital ship ect, and the oposite is also true.

In short, if you are casually interested in a space sim game, I would wait a few months for it to be on sale then I would say go for it. If you are hardcore about space sims, you probably already own it.

#2 Posted by mano521 (1224 posts) -

Thanks for the advice. It looked really fun / interesting. I just remember watching the other X games played by other people and had no idea what was happening. Ill probably look into this in a few months

#3 Edited by Giantstalker (1652 posts) -

Are there any capital ships you can buy or use? I need to know, that was my favorite part of the past X games...

#4 Posted by troll93 (388 posts) -

Are there any capital ships you can buy or use? I need to know, that was my favorite part of the past X games...

There are capital ships that you can buy and 'use'. I say 'use' because you can't fly them, but this does lead to some pretty cool battles where your capital ships engage the other capital ships while you duck in-between and try to take out turrets, engines and let your capital ships to the big damage. The ai pilot is pretty good.

#5 Edited by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

Glad to see this isn't just pure vitriol like over on the Egosoft forums. Man, they pissed off a lot of folks.

Yeah, there's a sizable amount of jank in it and the menu is a bit odd to get used to for me, but the 1.5 hours I've spent in it seem alright. I like the system travel highways and just flying around space. Though I am terrible at shooting fast moving things with guns. I got my ass handed to me by those two drones in the story missions that serve as combat introduction. I can missile things to death though, so I just need to keep those stocked up.

Have you played with a controller? I saw a thread over there saying that the controls handle well with one.

How was setting up trade routes? Just in general, like how the AI handles it (well enough?). And lastly, have you captured a ship yet? I've read a lot about people not being able to fix them.

I'll probably play a bit more throughout the week, but I made the mistake of deciding to fire up Albion Prelude for the first time shortly before this, and I had just put in that X Remastered overhaul mod, and I am really wanting to head back into that.

Also, I grabbed the CE off steam and I absolutely love the two albums. All the songs are great.

#6 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Eh, I tried this game, and I think I'm just gonna wait for Star Citizen.

#7 Posted by troll93 (388 posts) -

@capum15 said:

Glad to see this isn't just pure vitriol like over on the Egosoft forums. Man, they pissed off a lot of folks.

Yeah, there's a sizable amount of jank in it and the menu is a bit odd to get used to for me, but the 1.5 hours I've spent in it seem alright. I like the system travel highways and just flying around space. Though I am terrible at shooting fast moving things with guns. I got my ass handed to me by those two drones in the story missions that serve as combat introduction. I can missile things to death though, so I just need to keep those stocked up.

Have you played with a controller? I saw a thread over there saying that the controls handle well with one.

How was setting up trade routes? Just in general, like how the AI handles it (well enough?). And lastly, have you captured a ship yet? I've read a lot about people not being able to fix them.

I'll probably play a bit more throughout the week, but I made the mistake of deciding to fire up Albion Prelude for the first time shortly before this, and I had just put in that X Remastered overhaul mod, and I am really wanting to head back into that.

Also, I grabbed the CE off steam and I absolutely love the two albums. All the songs are great.

Yeah, most of the complaints are actually just people upset that the game is not the exact same game that they made last time. It is a textbook example of judging the game on what it is, not what you want it to be.

As far a shooting things, I sucked until I got a particle repeater, and the Gatling style spray makes hitting fast targets easier.

I use a controller a bit and it seemed full functional. My TV is occupied at the moment as my nana is living with us while she has a broken ankle so I am playing it on my monitor and I feel that a keyboard is the right way to play it, because whenever I play anything on my monitor, I am playing with a keyboard. The game was very clearly at some point at it's life a 360 game that fell through due to publisher/microsoft problems, so it feels fine with a controller, at last as far as I am concerned.

Trade has been both changed dramatically and kept the same. The biggest problem that everyone is complaining about is that there is no auto trade, you can't just tell a ship to go trade and it will effectively give you infinite money. If you wana be a trucking lord, you need to manually tell you ships to go buy energy cells from this plant. Once it has picked them up, you need to tell it to go sell at this factory. Initially you need to be in the same system as the source/destination of the goods, but when you buy the trade computer (HINT: BUY THE TRADE COMPUTER) you can do it from out of system. You can make a decent income out of this. A good starting trade route to get the money that you need to do more things is in Abaddon=>Far Reaches. You pick up energy cells at one of the two production systems, meadows and the other one, and then more or less do the loop of the system looking for where to sell it. Generally, you can pick up the cells for -20% and sell for +15-20%. I found that if you try and qew up more than one thing it starts to have problems, but as long as you have a trade computer, it is no problem.

Now, automated trading is still in the game, it is just done from buildings rather than ships. When you get to it, building a trade port, forget the real name, and assigning it ships will cause them to go buy goods cheap, bring them to you trade port where you can either wait for someone to buy them, or task another ship to carry them to a place to sell them. To effectiveness of this whole thing is dependant on the crew you have on board, but with a solid cast, it is a good money makes and makes you feel nice and powerful on the top of your trade empire.

As far as capturing ships. I have captured a couple of ships but in the end, I don't think it is really worth it. A heavily damaged ship will cost almost the same to repair, (to repair you need to take your damaged ship in your squad to a shipyard) as making a new one and when you factor in the cost of repairs needed to capture the ship and the cost of the marines, you end up either breaking even or making such low margins that it is not worth it. I suppose if there is a ship you really want for whatever reason there is no reason not to board it, but as far as a financial prospect, I don't think it worth it.

Also, to anyone interested in playing this game, make tons of saves. The game will crash or bug out just enough that you need to keep a trail of saves.

#8 Edited by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

@troll93: 'kay, so Giantbomb ate my post.

Basically, thanks a lot for that response. Trading seems different but functional, unlike a lot of rants I've seen. Going to need to bookmark or save that bit of info for later.

And yeah, capping ships seems like a large investment; I've read about some people having to grab 50 marines, and an officer or two, or more to get one caught.

Cool note on the controls part. I'm probably going to stick with M/KB, but I just wanted to know about a gamepad. Also looking forward to getting that gun.

And yeah, this seems like a multi-save game. I usually have multiple saves anyway when a game allows for it, like Mass Effect / Bethesda RPGs / X3 / etc.

#9 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -

Hrm, interesting some of the stuff you've said. I still don't like the whole manual trading thing...especially when you have to use other ships AND there isn't time compression AND those ships move slow as hell. I also felt like the game lacked a lot of commands for other ships. Like i couldn't even figure out how to tell one of my ships to move to a certain spot or sector. On the note of sectors, they're still pretty confusing to me, but that's just cause it's a new game and i'm not used to the map and how the sectors work.

There was a lot of stuff in the game that felt interesting but it also felt kinda janky and broken too. I fact, anytime i'd die the game would crash, or is that intended?
I'll get back to it eventually after a few patches but for now i'm going to play albion prelude, which i never actually played. The hell is up with the story in the game? Why the hell did she suddenly blow up that huge station, and how did she even do that alone?

#10 Posted by Roxxy (45 posts) -

My last experience with Rebirth was ramming into a frigate, clipping through the model and getting stuck within the walls. I would like to see a QL for the hilarity.

#11 Posted by Bane (408 posts) -

I haven't played it very much, only a handful of hours. I'll let them release a few patches while I play other things and I'll get back to it.

The biggest issue for me so far has been the UI. Again. Egosoft is the absolute worst at designing user interfaces. Where's my gravidar? My situational awareness in combat is simply non existent without it. What the hell am I looking at when I pull up the map? How do I plot a course and where's the autopilot that can take me there while I view the sights with the exterior camera? Where's my exterior camera for that matter? Where are my keyboard shortcuts? How do I dock because Shift + D doesn't do anything? How do I match my target's speed? How do I configure my hardpoints into weapon groups? I do have more than one hardpoint on this ship, right?

It's just rife with usability problems. They really, really need to get someone on staff that knows what the hell they're doing in this department. I imagine people load this up, immediately hit a wall because of the UI and lack of decent tutorials, and never play the game again. That's a damn shame too because if you can push through it the underlying game really is one of the best space sims ever made. Or was one of the best anyway. I haven't played enough to know how Rebirth stacks up.