New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#201  Edited By JasonR86

Retailers wouldn't sell the hardware if they couldn't sell software. Gamestop is still a big seller of new games and they won't sell those new games if they can't sell used games as well. So this won't happen this console generation.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#202  Edited By ManMadeGod

If something like this was to happen Sony would be doing it too. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I always love the rumors that fly around right before console launches

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#203  Edited By KaneRobot

@ManMadeGod said:

If something like this was to happen Sony would be doing it too. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

You could be right, but I have a feeling that Sony isn't going to be revealing that much on 2/20. Merely confirming the console exists and it'll be out this year.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@JasonR86: If Gamestop didn't sell the PS4 and 720 games alot of other stores will, Gamestop would go under if they didn't sell the next gen of games.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By JasonR86

Eh.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@KaneRobot said:

@ManMadeGod said:

You could be right, but I have a feeling that Sony isn't going to be revealing that much on 2/20. Merely confirming the console exists and it'll be out this year.

I think who ever reveals this anti-piracy measure first will get the brunt of the back lash, the 2nd one to announce could just be like "well they doing it so we are to"

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#207  Edited By isomeri
@SathingtonWaltz

@jdh5153 said:

@isomeri said:

So, just like Steam? I'm not bothered by this at all.

Exactly. Everyone acts like it'll be the end of the world. It'll actually be a great innovation and good for the future of video games.

I hate the idea of an all digital downloads, I like to have a physical library of games to collect. And most people I know wouldn't be able to afford gaming if it weren't for used games.

I can understand why some people want physical objects to hold on to. I collect vinyl, but I've never been interested in collecting digital media.

And if the gaming industry really is dependent on the used games market then we're all fucked. I'm a student and I still never buy used games.
EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#208  Edited By EXTomar

Steam is tolerated because it runs on semi-open platforms. Consoles like the XBox 360 are DRM-hardened systems. If my PC hard drive dies (the most common catastrophic PC malfunction), reloading games on Steam just takes download time where the only validation that is needed is logging into Steam. Are we going to get the same support on consoles or does it involve calling up someone at their Customer Service and begging them to switch machines?

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

Yeah I agree, if this happens I'm going to fork out for a high end gaming pc.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By masternater27

Really awful if true. I don't buy it though. I work in retail and probably 30% of our xbox customers don't connect it to the internet.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#211  Edited By fattony12000

God, the hyper-pirates and neo-crackers are going to go to town on this whole thing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#212  Edited By xyzygy

@Animasta said:

not going to happen

that would just give the generation to Sony

this. i will refuse to buy the next xbox if they go this route.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#213  Edited By CastroCasper

That sounds kinda dumb. I understand the idea of it, but to alienate a fair amount of people who use your product, yeah I don't know. Seems like if it is true it could be a mistake. That would completely get rid of game rental services right? Not that there were a lot now anyway...

SkankinPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By SkankinPacman

New rumor: Next-gen Xbox will require you to sign over your first born child to Microsoft for slave labor.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

I don't like to go into rumours about new consoles, but if this happens Microsoft have lost a customer

If you're buying used games you're already not a customer and they don't give a shit about you. is right, piracy and used games are practically the same thing. No money goes to the developer, publisher or console maker.

I really don't see how stealing games vs purchasing them from someone else is similar at all.

because the publisher and developer don't care about GameStop getting paid, they want the money to make these games, not to keep a retail store afloat.

used games and piracy both give no money directly to pubs/devs, of course people can pirate a game or buy used then buy DLC, but the initial sale of that game isn't going to the pub/dev, that's how they are similar.

I see how they are similar in that sense, but I don't see how they are ethically similar at all. In one case an individual isn't spending money and in the other he/she is.

I dunno if a used game buyer is really much better than a pirate, after all, you aren't helping that game make a profit, just like a pirate isn't. Does paying some guy on eBay money make it ethically better than pirating? I'd say noooooot really.

It doesn't bother me at all, I just find it funny some people lament pirates but buy used games. It's a funny contradiction.

If you wanna support the industry you buy new, if you want to be cheap you either buy used or pirate, there's just no need to take the moral highground if you're not contributing to the development of these damn games!

I buy used sometimes, I buy new most of the time, and as for piracy, well I'm saying nothing. I've been all over the place!

Are you guys serious? If you have bought something you have a complete right to sell it again and for someone to buy it. This happens with nearly every over type of product. Own any books? You probably got a lot second hand. Own a car? even more likely. Selling used goods has been a completely ethical action forever, hell it's what we did before money.

The used game market is very important especially for people who want to collect old games or don't have much money, it has never had or been ethically wrong in any medium. If the game companies want me to buy new give me an incentive to that isn't some bullshit online pass.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By jdh5153

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

I don't like to go into rumours about new consoles, but if this happens Microsoft have lost a customer

If you're buying used games you're already not a customer and they don't give a shit about you. is right, piracy and used games are practically the same thing. No money goes to the developer, publisher or console maker.

I really don't see how stealing games vs purchasing them from someone else is similar at all.

because the publisher and developer don't care about GameStop getting paid, they want the money to make these games, not to keep a retail store afloat.

used games and piracy both give no money directly to pubs/devs, of course people can pirate a game or buy used then buy DLC, but the initial sale of that game isn't going to the pub/dev, that's how they are similar.

I see how they are similar in that sense, but I don't see how they are ethically similar at all. In one case an individual isn't spending money and in the other he/she is.

I dunno if a used game buyer is really much better than a pirate, after all, you aren't helping that game make a profit, just like a pirate isn't. Does paying some guy on eBay money make it ethically better than pirating? I'd say noooooot really.

It doesn't bother me at all, I just find it funny some people lament pirates but buy used games. It's a funny contradiction.

If you wanna support the industry you buy new, if you want to be cheap you either buy used or pirate, there's just no need to take the moral highground if you're not contributing to the development of these damn games!

I buy used sometimes, I buy new most of the time, and as for piracy, well I'm saying nothing. I've been all over the place!

Are you guys serious? If you have bought something you have a complete right to sell it again and for someone to buy it. This happens with nearly every over type of product. Own any books? You probably got a lot second hand. Own a car? even more likely. Selling used goods has been a completely ethical action forever, hell it's what we did before money.

The used game market is very important especially for people who want to collect old games or don't have much money, it has never had or been ethically wrong in any medium. If the game companies want me to buy new give me an incentive to that isn't some bullshit online pass.

It's software, not something physical. You can't sell a used copy of Windows or Office. You don't own the video game software either. You never have, you never will. If you think you do you're wrong, read the user agreement. If you refuse the user agreement it says right in it you must return the software.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Mike76x

@jdh5153 said:

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

It's software, not something physical. You can't sell a used copy of Windows or Office. You don't own the video game software either. You never have, you never will. If you think you do you're wrong, read the user agreement. If you refuse the user agreement it says right in it you must return the software.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-i-sell-a-used-copy-of-windows-vista-or-windows/11b6d8de-cb38-46a9-b3fc-4d74867e9371

PHenry1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By PHenry1991

Who wants to bet that Both Sony and Microsofts new consoles will block used games?

Or maybe they won't.

Could go either way.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike76x said:

@jdh5153 said:

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-i-sell-a-used-copy-of-windows-vista-or-windows/11b6d8de-cb38-46a9-b3fc-4d74867e9371

That's interesting but even if that wasn't the case the user agreement would just be wrong to me. As far as I am concerned the games I paid for are mine. I don't see why people are so happy to support the companies on this one

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By EXTomar

Welcome to the world of modern rights. :)

Personally I resolved this years ago by coming to the realization that most software let alone games aren't worth much after a few months. People are overvaluing the disks they have sitting around their house because a lot of them are actually junk and not worth pocket lint after a few months.

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#221  Edited By AndyAce83

I dont buy used games, but this means that I cant borrow games from or to other to, right? That´s nonsense.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#222  Edited By Dark

People using the gamestop not selling the consoles argument, I don't see that working if the 2 consoles just say 'well thats how it is'. Gamestop is already looking pretty sad when it comes to money so they aren't going to just stop selling 2 of the 3 major console brands, it would destroy whats left of their business.

If the new gen consoles embrace the age of internets properly we could see the rise of download content finally taking over.

Either way I will not be surprised if they cave in and allow used games, or if they go the other direction and say no to used games. We are gradually shifting to downloadable only gaming which cuts the middle man out for publishing companies anyway, which is what they want more than anything.

::EDIT:: @Demoskinos I make that mistake far too often >.> *cough*

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#223  Edited By musubi

@Dark: Gamespot doesn't sell anything....now Gamestop......

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully Sony wont do the same.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#225  Edited By Humanity

@AndyAce83: You can't lend your friends any of your pc games either and hardly anyone ever complains about that.

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#226  Edited By AndyAce83

@Humanity said:

@AndyAce83: You can't lend your friends any of your pc games either and hardly anyone ever complains about that.

Ahh, thank you. You gave me another reason why console playin is/was better than PC gaming. I only play SC2 on PC and you are right, I dont think I could have leaned that game away. But once upon a time you could. Since I havent been a PC gamer in many years I cant say when this happened. Please share if you know when PC games couldnt be shared.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#227  Edited By Sooty

@Blimble said:

@Mike76x said:

@jdh5153 said:

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

That's interesting but even if that wasn't the case the user agreement would just be wrong to me. As far as I am concerned the games I paid for are mine. I don't see why people are so happy to support the companies on this one

I never said I was happy to support it. I said I don't care. I only find it annoying when people get high and mighty about piracy then they buy used games.

and well, whatever, it doesn't bother me at all because PC games have been doing this for over half a decade. I didn't see console gamers rushing to petition against this practice on PC.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By strainedeyes

If this is the first step in all-digital selling of games, and hopefully steam-like sales on the digital storefronts, I'm okay with it.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@EXTomar said:

Personally I resolved this years ago by coming to the realization that most software let alone games aren't worth much after a few months. People are overvaluing the disks they have sitting around their house because a lot of them are actually junk and not worth pocket lint after a few months.

I understand that we don't technically own the software, but I believe we own the disc that the software is on. Hence why I can still legally do whatever the hell I want with it.

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

Jesus Christ, I thought I was the only one in this thread not applauding the erosion of consumers rights! I'm still shocked that there are so many people wanting thing to happen and thinking that it will be better for the consumer.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Sooty

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@EXTomar said:

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

Jesus Christ, I thought I was the only one in this thread not applauding the erosion of consumers rights! I'm still shocked that there are so many people wanting thing to happen and thinking that it will be better for the consumer.

Why are people missing my point over and over again...I never said I want this. I said it doesn't surprise me or bother me, and that those who lament pirates but buy used are contradicting themselves.

Paying some guy on eBay for a game used isn't helping those who put the work and money into that game, neither is pirating. All I'm saying.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By theslothking

Don't a lot of people in NA still have unstable internet? Wouldn't this kill their sales in NA and most nations that don't have very good/unstable internet?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@EXTomar said:

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

Why are people missing my point over and over again...I never said I want this. I said it doesn't surprise me or bother me, and that those who lament pirates but buy used are contradicting themselves.

Paying some guy on eBay for a game used isn't helping those who put the work and money into that game, neither is pirating. All I'm saying.

I didn't specifically mention you for a reason. I get what you're saying, I was talking about others in the thread though.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am on a pc and what are used games?

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#234  Edited By ShadowMoses900

The "always online" thing is really stupid....I hope that isn't true. I mean I play online all the time but still the thought of it being required just irks me the wrong way. If this rumor is true then I'm going to say a big NO THANK YOU to the next Xbox.

The "no used games" thing has been rumored for a while but I don't think MS is going to do this because Sony confirmed that the PS4 will play used games. MS isn't going to make it's self the only one on the market that doesn't allow second hand games.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By leebmx

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@leebmx said:

I also think it would however be very interesting if this did happen - and in a weird way it might actually be a good thing for the quality of our games:

With all the money going back to publishers/developers rather than third parties there will be a lot more available for development and this could allow for greater risk taking than we currently have in the console space.

Do you believe this? Because I'm not sure I do. I have a real hard time believing any of this money is going to be used on creativity or risk-taking as opposed to being used for profit increasing and executive bonuses. And frankly, I personally believe after the used market is crushed we'll still be hearing endless complaints about how they can't make any money.

I suspect the next big thing in the "Poor Ol' Publishers" story will be how "it's not economically feasible to continue to giving customers so much content for only 60 dollars" and their next big project will be finding out how to get as little on the disk (aka: original purchase) and as much into DLC packages (aka: additional costs) as possible. I don't mean to be so cynical, guess I'm just trying to be as negative as possible in the hopes that I'll be pleasantly surprised :P

It's very sad for collectors or just people who like to get old systems and play games on them. It's eliminating an entire sector of the market and kind of damning the future of gaming in general. Good luck 20 years from now trying to pick up a 720/PS4 and grabbing some cheap games for them for nostalgia's sake. Now you buy that old system, turn it on, the online market has been shut down and no games are available. You get a specific collection of games on then current market of the current console and you get to pay 50 dollars for them.

I also feel like it eliminates a key feature of consoles in the first place. Gone are the days of letting a friend borrow a game to try it out. Gone are the days of being able to easily go over to a friends house and play a game with them seamlessly on their console. It ultimately makes consoles finally nothing more than an overpriced, outdated PC with everything locked to an account or an individual console. Full retard.

I'm turning into a flag waver for the console makers here, something I don't consider myself, but whatever.....I think you are painting a very pessimistic picture of what the future will be like. I think it is extremely unlikely that digital gaming will mean you can only get the current gen's games at full price. A digital future will contain the newest releases at full price but market forces will mean that should there be a demand for old games (something which will become more and more likely as games start to hold up better for longer) that demand will be satisfied by whoever holds the licence. Look at your current games marketplace on whatever console you own and you will find lots of games from previous generations - its already happening.

Remember we have hardly even taken a baby step into this future yet, and the companies furthest along this route, namely Valve, have shown us that current, physical retail pricing models don't hold up in the digital world. You can't expect current models to stay the same as the world changes.

Your second point is the more worrying one but then I suppose gaming companies would probably insist that every time you lent a game to your friend, or took a copy round their house you were breaking the terms agreed upon at the sale. A shitty stance I agree. However I don't see why it isn't going to be possible to either take a hard drive to your friends or just download a profile and play from the cloud. Maybe not as easy as slipping in a disk but still possible.

I think the most interesting question regarding all this is what happens to all your games when the second fully digital console gets released? Are we going to be in a world where certain games just disappear from existence once their publishers/developers stop supporting them? What happens to your future copies of Darksiders 1&2 when future THQ go bust and aren't around to verify the always on internet connection needed to play the game?

There a lot of interesting questions to answered over the next 20 years and more, its exciting but also fraught with danger for the consumer.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By RedRoach

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@EXTomar said:

@Blimble said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Sooty said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@RedRoach said:

@Blimble said:

I didn't specifically mention you for a reason. I get what you're saying, I was talking about others in the thread though.

I'm just saying that when you play and experience a game that 100+ people worked on for years of their lives you should pay for it, and when I say pay I mean pay the devs/publisher. Yeah it's perfectly in your right to resell and purchase second hand, but it's kind of a big fuck you to the people who actually worked really hard to make the game. In the end all I want is for games to be successful and sell well so that developers can keep on making awesome new games and we can have less studio closures. While I'm certainly not saying stoping used game sales is the perfect solution that will make everything better, it's definitely part of the problem.

I would be fine with no used games if sony and microsoft had a Steam-like marketplace with regular sales and fair pricing. That way people who buy used games can still get their cheap games, and that money goes to the people devs/publishers and console makers, instead of a horrible company like gamestop.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Shaka999

Wait a minute, didn't Gamestop cut deals with most of the publishers who had all that activation code crap anyway? Meaning a measure like this would only benefit the publisher, developer, and the console maker and screw over retailers as well as the most important person(s) in this equation: the consumer. With the precedent already there for publishers to cut deals with retailers I just can't imagine this rumor being true.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By leebmx

@Sooty: Hi Sooty. While I agree with the general tenor of your points that people should buy new if they want better games do you not think it is partly the fault of the big games distributors not being creative at all in how they price their products? If they showed some incentive to try and match, or just get anywhere near, the price of used games, for what is intrinsically a better product (after all, it is new), they might have had a lot more success in curbing used sales.

However instead of trying to offer the consumer an incentive for buying new they just try and gimp second-hand games through online passes etc. They have shown no creativity whatsoever, just whined about losing money, while companies like Valve take risks, do research and show them how it is done. It is a marketplace and you can't expect to make money through people's good will - you have to offer a product better than the other guy's, and at the moment they are failing.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Sooty

@leebmx said:

@Sooty: Hi Sooty. While I agree with the general tenor of your points that people should buy new if they want better games do you not think it is partly the fault of the big games distributors not being creative at all in how they price their products? If they showed some incentive to try and match, or just get anywhere near, the price of used games, for what is intrinsically a better product (after all, it is new), they might have had a lot more success in curbing used sales.

However instead of trying to offer the consumer an incentive for buying new they just try and gimp second-hand games through online passes etc. They have shown no creativity whatsoever, just whined about losing money, while companies like Valve take risks, do research and show them how it is done. It is a marketplace and you can't expect to make money through people's good will - you have to offer a product better than the other guy's, and at the moment they are failing.

Definitely and that is why the PC is running circles around the 360 and to a lesser extent Sony, PS+ is pretty damn rad.

I'd be all for the next consoles going digital only if I had faith in Microsoft and Sony having reasonable pricing with regular sales for their games, but looking at how absurd the pricing is on retail games old and new on XBLM/PSN that seems like a bad idea. (that and some not taking consoles online)

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By LikeaSsur
@JasonR86

Retailers wouldn't sell the hardware if they couldn't sell software. Gamestop is still a big seller of new games and they won't sell those new games if they can't sell used games as well. So this won't happen this console generation.

Because as we all know, GameStop is the only company with the ability to sell new games.
Weird_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Weird_Pete

Sorry for the snap post....TL:DR thread.

This would mean GameFly's model wouldn't work anymore. My trusted method of rent, snap-buy for 10% + coupons off retail would be void!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By JasonR86

@LikeaSsur said:

@JasonR86

Because as we all know, GameStop is the only company with the ability to sell new games.

Yep, that's exactly what I said.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Mcfart

They won't do it

The money they lose won't be worth the current penalties stemmed from used games and piracy. They'll just make it impossible to pirate (like Nintendo and Sony did with their new handhelds)

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By haffy

Erm... this sounds pretty risky with Valve talking about an open source... thing.

If Sony and Microsoft combine to do this, I can just imagine Valve or another company coming in and sweeping up the market.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#245  Edited By ProfessorEss
@leebmx said:

I'm turning into a flag waver for the console makers here, something I don't consider myself, but whatever....

Haha, someone's got to or it wouldn't be much of a conversation :P 
I'm typically a rather optimistic person and I appreciate your optimistic viewpoint, but something about the way this industry is run brings out the cynic in me. 

But hey, videogames right?
ohwiseone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By ohwiseone

Tl:DR.

My problem is that if it is not online, does that mean you cannot play games on the device?

It is so early, that it's better if we wait.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By jdh5153

@Mcfart said:

They won't do it

The money they lose won't be worth the current penalties stemmed from used games and piracy. They'll just make it impossible to pirate (like Nintendo and Sony did with their new handhelds)

They're not going to lose a dime. The people who buy used games are broke anyway and won't even buy the console for several years at which point they won't even care if you buy it.

Seriously, Steam sells tons of games and there's no used games. The iOS app store sells millions and millions of apps and none of them are secondhand. You're all going to end up buying the shit anyway, stop crying.

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By xerxes8933a

The ONLY benefit of Console games over PC is that I can rent console games through gamefly and the like. I'm fine with the always on connection, as I live in a large city and have never lost internet for any meaningful length of time, but I rented over 60 games last year. I hardly used my PS3 this gen, but if I can't play 80% of my games on the next xbox, well that's an easy choice.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#250  Edited By ez123

@GenocidalKitten said:

Yeah, and steam also has tons of awesome sales that keep people happy, the concern is that if there is no used game market then games prices will stay at $60 even months after release.

Who is concerned about that? Maybe if you're talking about a digital-only console but the idea that stores won't have sales without used games is nonsense.