New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#252  Edited By Trilogy

If either Sony or Microsoft implement that technology, it's going to be and extra kick in the balls since neither of them embrace digital sales the way steam does. At a certain point you have to ask yourself if it's even worth getting a machine that's designed to fuck you over to save it's own ass.

I'm still cautiously optimistic. I'm really hoping at least Sony doesn't go down that path.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#253  Edited By ez123

@GenocidalKitten said:

I'm thinking more if they have always online and mostly only digital releases.

But you said that "if there is no used game market then games prices will stay at $60 even months after release." That would mean that there's also a physical new games market.

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If the Nextbox had this, I would certainly buy a PS4 instead.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I honestly don't believe this (but if it is true then i'll skip the next xbox and just get the ps4). The reason i don't is i recently read them talking about why they don't release games early on demand is to support the retail market to help with console sales. Since used games sales take up a lot of the retail market they would be shooting themselves in the foot in terms of selling hardware IMO.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went nintendo, pc, and xbox 360 this gen and I will never go xbox again. There is never enough exclusives. As greedy as M$ went this gen, I could see a no used games policy. If the rumors are true about $ony and M$ I could see another 80's style game crash.

Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I would have to say that this could be a deal breaker for alot of consumers. Not everyone wants to get a game when it first comes out. So if a used game can't be played on these systems parents wont by them for their kids or kids and us consumers will just buy less games. In the end the gaming industry will suffer.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@robot4me said:

I went nintendo, pc, and xbox 360 this gen and I will never go xbox again. There is never enough exclusives. As greedy as M$ went this gen, I could see a no used games policy. If the rumors are true about $ony and M$ I could see another 80's style game crash.

Yeah it's true. I haven't seen enough exclusives on the 360. It had a good start but then it fizzled.
The way I see it, I'll just buy fewer games or switch back to the PC. Someone was stating something
earlier about there not being a used PC games market but I still see PC games being sold in boxed
form, at least all the blockbusters. I don't know if the PC games being sold today are licensing themselves
such that they can't be resold however (like Spore). The main point being is that I just won't buy a lot of
games in the future, just those long, drawn out Western-built Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Post-Apoc RPGs that take
take forever to finish & avoid the perpetual shooter releases of other franchises. Quality over quantity.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would have to say that this could be a deal breaker for alot of consumers. Not everyone wants to get a game when it first comes out. So if a used game can't be played on these systems parents wont by them for their kids or kids and us consumers will just buy less games. In the end the gaming industry will suffer.

I doubt its true. The CEO of GameStop says he is excited for it. So that may hint about it not having no used games.

MegaMagick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm reading now that you have to have a connection just to START your game and if you are disconnected from the internet you will be booted out of your game and taken to a trouble shoot page. This is the very definition of tedious and if true i won't be going anywhere near this console. I already have enough issues with my connection and i don't want to be instantly booted out of my SINGLE player version of Fallout 4, Elder Scrolls, etc because of that.