#1 Posted by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

So I've seen people complaining about the lack of an optical audio out on the new 360 design. This doesn't affect me as I use either PC speakers or a Sony bookshelf stereo system so I just use 3.5" wires. If I upgrade to this new design will I be able to just plug the headphone cord directly into the back of the Xbox since that's the size of the jack? It should work right? I want to know this before I upgrade from an Elite.

#2 Posted by VRMN (41 posts) -

I don't think so. That port is designed to pump out a composite video signal; I don't think it'd work with a headphone cable.

#3 Posted by YukoAsho (2079 posts) -

So I've seen people complaining about the lack of an optical audio out on the new 360 design. This doesn't affect me as I use either PC speakers or a Sony bookshelf stereo system so I just use 3.5" wires. If I upgrade to this new design will I be able to just plug the headphone cord directly into the back of the Xbox since that's the size of the jack? It should work right? I want to know this before I upgrade from an Elite.

You could always get a Y adapter from Radio Shack, plug the right/left stereo audio plugs in there, then plug the headphones there. That is, of course, assuming they let you get audio through there while video pumps through HDMI...

#4 Posted by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

Just a note in case anybody is wondering: I got an Xbox 360 e and you can totally plug in headphones straight into it. There's no volume control that way unfortunately, but that can be fixed with stereo speakers or a headphone booster.