Must have original Xbox games? (Besides the obvious ones)

• 72 results
SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I was recently given an original Xbox by a friend and currently have a component cable in my Amazon cart so I can use it better with my modern day HDTV. I tried to add a bunch of games to my Wishlist and having a hard time deciding on what to get. I never owned an original Xbox so I'm looking for suggestions. Some games I'm familiar with and have played (and own on PC) so those are not needed. Here is what is currently on my wishlist:

Advent Rising

Arx Fatalis (I own this on PC but maybe playing with controller is better?)

Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance

Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 2

The Bard's Tale (once again I own on PC)

Beyond Good and Evil (own on PC but never seemed drawn to it)

Black

Brute Force

Call of Cthulhu

Castlevania Curse of Darkness

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (seems highly recommend all the time but I don't like Vin Diesel :( )

Cold Fear

Crimson Sea

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Dino Crisis 3

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (Got this on PC but seems like playing with a controller would be interesting)

Fable: Lost Chapters (I've never been a Fable fan or Peter Molyneux)

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel

Gun Valkyrie

Halo 1 (I've played these so no reason to get)

Halo 2 (I've played these so no reason to get)

Kill.Switch

KOTOR 1 (Own on PC and played)

KOTOR 2 (Own on PC but haven't played, seems like PC version would be better due to content restoration mod ..controller might be nice though)

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2

Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter

Mech Assault

Mech Assault 2

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Pariah

Project Snowblind

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Psychonauts

Rogue Trooper

Run Like Hell Hunt or Be Hunted

Second Sight

Star Wars Republic Commando

The Suffering

The Suffering Ties That Bind

Thief: Deadly Shadows

I'm leaning getting maybe a Baldurs Gate game as I've never played one of those and a few other 'odd' ones like perhaps Run like Hell or Psi Ops or something. Anything people would highly recommend other than the standard ones I've mentioned?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I moved your thread to the Xbox platform page, but you may want to spend some time looking through the older topics in that forum. I'm positive this exact question has come up a number of times over the years.

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox/3045-32/forums/

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: Thank you for clearing this up. I did a forum search earlier but think I wasn't finding anything.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flybikes06: I found Crimson Skies at the local Good Will so I'm excited to try that. Just need that av plug! :)

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

FYI, the latest version of KotOR II on PC also patched in controller support. And since it's so old, it'll run on even low-end hardware now. Unless you're a collector or have ZERO access to a PC, don't play the KotOR games on the original Xbox.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SavageManLove

@bassguy: Wow thats good to know, thank you.

Raisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rallisport Challenge 2, rally racing game made by DICE. I remember really loving this game at the time, not sure how it has aged.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Burnout 3: Takedown

SSX 3

The Warriors

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Armed & Dangerous
  • Jet Set Radio Future
  • Phantom Dust
  • Prince of Persia trilogy (maybe you didn't list these b/c they aren't exclusive?)

I wouldn't say Brute Force or Advent Rising are must-have unless you're just going for completeness or you have a morbid sense of humor.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed that some of these games are available on the PC in which case I feel like there is little reason to really get them. Are there any games that even though they are also on the PC they would be better to get on the Xbox due to say controller support or something like that?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@bassguy said:

FYI, the latest version of KotOR II on PC also patched in controller support. And since it's so old, it'll run on even low-end hardware now. Unless you're a collector or have ZERO access to a PC, don't play the KotOR games on the original Xbox.

Did they patch in controller support for the first one?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodwake was great. Also Phantom Crash is a crazy good hidden gem for the Xbox.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jet Set Radio Future is my favorite Xbox game, but whether it's "must-have" probably depends on your tastes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@savagemanlove: Oh no worries, it's actually a little tricky to get the original Xbox platform to even come up in a search.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I noticed that some of these PC versions of the games don't seem to actually be available on Steam/GOG so maybe just go with the Xbox version. Hmmm.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By glots

@savagemanlove said:

Brute Force

This is everything you need to see about the "Halo Killer".

Loading Video...

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@glottery said:
@savagemanlove said:

Brute Force

This is everything you need to see about the "Halo Killer".

Loading Video...

I actually enjoyed Brute Force. It wasn't a great game by any means, but it was enjoyable for a playthrough at the time.

I don't know how well it holds up now, especially compared to a collection of above-average games, but I don't personally think most games that old hold up anyway.

glacialhelmnun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Otogi!

Loading Video...

and Rallisport Challenge 2 is still the best racing game of all time.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LeStephan

great list, still miss a few of those myself.

I'd definitely add Voodoo vince, Breakdown and Otogi 1+2 to that list

And I'd say try Blinx the cat if you can get it for cheap, opinions seem really divisive on that one, from what I played it seemed pretty cool and original.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By damodar

Otogi

Galleon

Jet Set Radio Future

You've got some good stuff on your list so far though!

@lestephan Yeah, I don't really get the ridiculous vitriol that exists for Blinx. It's not the greatest game ever, but it has some really cool ideas. At the very least, it should just be inoffensive enough not to inspire hatred. I wonder if it's just a bandwagon thing and most people haven't actually played it.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cybexx

Burnout Revenge is also great but they did an updated version of that for Xbox 360. Conker: Live and Reloaded is a pretty good remake of the N64 game, the redone multiplayer was poorly conceived but you can't access that anyways. Jade Empire is not as important a game for Bioware as KOTOR but it is still pretty good, Greg Kasavin gave it an 8.4 for Gamespot back in the day, there is an improved PC version available though. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is a neat adventure game with some crappy action elements, great storytelling but I'm not really sure how well it plays if you have not played the prequel on PC.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is probably my favorite game on the original Xbox, it is the only game tied in to a theatrical release of a movie that I could call truly great. Not sure what your specific Vin Diesel hang up is but you play from first person, it only occasionally cuts to third person and he barely talks. The plot is much better than the movie, though that is not necessarily a high bar to clear, the game is a series of crazy prison escapes that mixes up aspects from adventure games, stealth, fps in some very cool ways. There is Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena which add an additional single player campaign and came out on Xbox 360 / PS3 and PC but there are some really annoying AI bugs in that version that compromises the stealth gameplay a bit.

Edit: Oh and Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Splinter Cell Double Agent. Those first two, as well as Pandora Tomorrow which I don't love, are the same on versions on PC but very different from the PS2 / Gamecube versions. Double Agent is notable to this discussion because the PC and Xbox 360 versions of that game were developed by Ubisoft Shanghai, its okay but not great. The Xbox version was developed by Ubisoft Montreal, its a totally different game with the same premise and is much better.

Rek503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breakdown

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phantom Crash - Mech Arena style game that's very fast and has some great mech customisation.

Spiikeout - Sega's spiritual sequel to Streets of Rage. 3D brawler that has a bunch of unlockable characters and it tough.

Kingdom Under Fire series - Excellent mix of hack and slash and RTS, set in a medieval fantasy world.

Crash N' Burn - Better than the PS2 version, This is one of the best Demo Derby style games you can buy for the system thats not names Burnout.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BSw

Burnout Takedown and Psychonauts are the only Xbox games I kept when I sold my system years ago. I think Burnout Takedown is still my favourite race game to date.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Mech Assault is definitely worth picking up, and Burnout Revenge too.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brackstone

Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders and KUF: Heroes are the best original Xbox exclusive games. Yes they're better than Halo. Crusaders is the better of the two, but heroes is still pretty good.

Basically, they're a mix of rpg systems, real time strategy, and hack and slash gameplay. Can't recommend it enough, and even though it sounds like it's easy to categorize, there aren't really any games that play like these do, they're pretty unique.

Also, a lot of your list is quite possibly better experienced on the pc, or at least far easier to obtain for the pc, so I'd look into that before you make any purchases. Call of Cthulhu is definitely better on console though, since the pc version is really janky.

But seriously, get that Kingdom Under Fire.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yo, if you didn't play it on PS2, Gladius is one of my favorite games no one knows. It's a tactical RPG based on running a gladiator school in a fantastical version of old Rome and it's environs. It even has an active timing system in the fighting so you aren't just clicking through attacks.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969
Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is an enduring classic if you haven't played it yet. The two sequels are pretty meh, but that first one holds up.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As @viciousreiven suggested, Metal Wolf Chaos.

• It is from Fromsoftware.
  • You play as president of the United States that pilots a mechsuit.
  • It is a Xbox exclusive.
egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By egg

Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition

I only played it on PSP though so take it with a grain of salt. But the game was so good I considered getting an original Xbox just to play that one game with better graphics. Also on Xbox/PS2 there is a second version released, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix, which adds a fourth city.

Also maybe Juiced, but that one I'm less sure about. Supposedly the PSP game is just a port of the PS2/Xbox game, except that the soundtrack and characters are completely different. So I'm not sure if I would call it the same game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AwkwardMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Four come to my mind as something really special are Voodoo Vince, Breakdown, Stubbs the Zombie, and Jet Set Radio Future. If you're looking for non-exclusives I'd say Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, and Armed & Dangerous. If you want some lame ass games you could get Blinx the Time Sweeper and Fusion Frenzy.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The lack of Sid Meier's Pirates in this discussion makes me sad. It was only released on Xbox and PC at the time, and while I came to it much later(as an Xbox original on 360), I really like sailing around the Caribbean with my ship.

The PC version is good as well, but I prefer the controller for dueling and dancing. It was also released on the Wii years later, and on phones, but I would guess the Xbox or PC versions are the versions to play.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No gamers house is complete until you have a dedicated Steel Battalion setup. Aww yeah!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jet Set Radio Future is my favorite Xbox game, but whether it's "must-have" probably depends on your tastes.

I didn't care for the game part but that soundtrack was fantastic.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tony hawk 2x

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PDXSonic

I'll have to agree with everyone on Phantom Crash. One of the last games I've purchased solely based upon the box and I don't regret it.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna repeat what people have said, get Jet Set Radio Future. Burnout:Revenge and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aren't exclusives but worth checking out if you never got a chance before

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To not get overwhelmed, I decided to order a component cable and ...Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance lol. I've never played that game and it seemed like everyone always raved about it.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x is not only the best version of THPS2, it's probably better than THPS5.

Fuck reverts.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x is not only the best version of THPS2, it's probably better than THPS5.

Fuck reverts.

I haven't played a Tony Hawk game since the very first one came out. :(

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yea, the Dark Alliance games are fantastic. Also, if you're in for a challenge, Ninja Gaiden is pretty good.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NInja Gaiden

Burnout

Dark Alliance I and II

But the bestest ever was Deathrow get some friends over and just play this, so entertaining, satisfying and rewarding.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the OG xbox have system/game updates? It's got that ethernet slot but should I bother connecting it or did that stuff not yet exist?

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jade Empire. It came out on PC later on but my only complete playthrough of the game was on Xbox and I guess if you prefer controllers then it's still the way to go for that game.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savagemanlove: I remember 1 system update, but I don't remember game updates. Some games had online content but it's mostly for online gaming. Even if there were system/game updates I don't know if those are still available.